Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire almost useless in Greece

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2011 11:15:22 AM PST
Last week my wife brought me a brand new Kindle Fire she bought from the US. Despite its stunning look and feel, this is practically useless for me, because I live in Greece. I cannot download any apps, music, books and whatsoever. I can read my e-mails, browse the internet and listen to music files I transfer from my pc, but that's about it. Amazon says that the appstore is not available for people willing to buy stuff if they reside outside the US. But this becomes clear only AFTER you buy the tablet and try to make it work abroad. I think this is not fare, since the price we paid is exactly the same as US residents do. And the price I'm willing to pay to buy apps, music etc would still be exactly the same as US owners would do. Is there any way I can solve this? Can anybody (Amazon people or ... anybody) help? Any good ideas? Will the appstore be available to those living outside the US border? Such discriminations do not apply to other tablets such as the rival iPad!!!!!

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:17:06 AM PST
ummm, there is a reason why you can only buy the fire in the US...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:18:06 AM PST
You can return it for a full refund.

The product description page says US only. You thought you could get around that by having her buy it here - obviously it didn't occur to you that maybe Amazon had a good reason for only selling it here.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:20:41 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
Do you live in Athens, Georgia?

All sarcasm aside, the Fire is marketed as US only. Its not meant to be fully functional outside of the US, probably due to infrastructure and legal issues. Its a shame it won't work for you. Return it for a refund if you can - which might not be convenient in your case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:20:43 AM PST
Q says:
You'll have more content access if you have your Amazon & Fire acct registered to a US bank credit card with some mailing address in the US. I've known several in Malaysia and Australia who got around that blockade by having a registered US credit card and US banking mailing address.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:23:34 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:27:05 AM PST
Stamatis...if you want apps, you can buy Android apps and download them to your PC, and then side-load them by connecting the Fire to the PC and dragging the app over. There are multiple places online that explain the process.

Is Netflix or Hulu+ available in Greece? If so, you could stream movies also.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:29:31 AM PST
This question is frequently asked, and in response Amazon generally explains that it is related to copyright laws in various countries and the need to work out legal agreements for the content. Presumably Apple has already done this for the iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:30:59 AM PST
New Girl says:
I would assume that it is because they are not legally able to sell those products outside of the USA at this time. I don't think they would choose to give up those sales and revenues if they were able.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:31:32 AM PST
Bjeans says:
I'm sorry about your disappointment - and nice wife!

But it does say "Order now. Orders are prioritized on a first come, first served basis. U.S. only" at the very beginning of the product page.

If I was buying a an electronic product sold only in one country, that would be enough to cause me to contact customer support or do further research before buying. The good news is that it can be returned for a full refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:32:27 AM PST
The good reason is the fact that most of the features won't work outside the US!

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:36:24 AM PST
Thanks for your posts! Helpful. But you have to admit that the "US only" in italics in the product page refers to orders. Not function. It is really annoying that a person abroad cannot download even the FREE apps!!!! Perhaps somebody from the Amazon Fire team could answer to all assumptions on "legal issues" etc that you guys are mentioning. Thanks again, perhaps I'll try to get a refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:36:38 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Are you sure you can't buy books from Amazon?

As others suggested, once you enable installation of "unapproved" applications, you can install most "vanilla" Android apps. But you still won't be able to stream music and videos, even if you had US-based CC and address. Blame publishers, movie studios and record labels... Sorry! (I am in the same boat, being from Croatia.)

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 11:37:11 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
you should be able to buy books on amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:39:06 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
>>>Kindle Fire almost useless in Greece

Well, yes. That's why it only available in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:39:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2011 11:41:03 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Kindle 1 was available in the US only, and K2 for another year or two. I am sure that Amazon lawyers burn much midnight oil (doubtlessly finest Greek (or perhaps Croatian) olive oil :o) ) figuring out how to make IP owners happy with international availability (and functionality, of course) of KF.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:39:43 AM PST
I totally agree M. Francis. However, no matter how many times I read the product page, I cannot find a notion stating clearly that "most features...".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:43:00 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
But the product page does say it's available for US customers only.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:44:04 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Well, you must agree that this can be assumed. Your understanding to the contrary is a result of wishful thinking, something I am also prone to do. There are other "hints" Fire would barely work overseas: for example, Amazon Prime membership, which enables many KF features, is also available only to Americans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:44:58 AM PST
Thanks a lot Bob. Sounds very helpful and promising, I'll try what you're suggesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:46:24 AM PST
Try adding a Kindle Fire to your cart to purchase it and you will not be able to unless you have a US CC attached to a US physical shipping address.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:54:47 AM PST
That's NOT true. This was ordered and bought using a non-US CC!!! It was simply shipped to a US address.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 11:57:40 AM PST
IF YOU TRY TO SHIP IT TO GREECE!

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 12:07:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2011 12:08:32 PM PST
Emerald Coast: There's an endless list of things that Amazon does not ship abroad. Its their policy and I respect it. But you can still order them with a non-US CC, and a non-US billing address, but with a US physical shipping address. Like computers for example. Still if you manage to get them the way I did, they are fully functional. My complaint is that NOWHERE in the product page is mentioned that the item is practically "non-functional" if the product exits the borders! Still, dont let me be misunderstood. I posted my initial post not to complain, but to find a way to solve/by-pass the problem. I still believe this is a lovely device.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 12:07:59 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
And it was shipped to a US address because Amazon wouldn't ship it to Greece. And Amazon won't ship it to Greece because you don't have access to all the functionality.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2011
Latest post:  May 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions