Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Book Prices Are Getting TOO HIGH

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 172 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2012 4:53:05 PM PST
Kaos HQ says:
The Kindle is such a great idea on so many levels! It is definatly a green solution to killing trees for books, and saves money in the production. But why are we paying 80% of the hardback cover price for a digital edition? It seems that Amazon could do better than that. My kids are now asking for the hardback books, since there is not much difference in price. Help me and others understand why you can't produce less expensive digital editions!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:02:27 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
In most cases Amazon does not set the price of the digital books. The publishers do. Who says they should be a lot cheaper?? It is the same story and the publishers and authors still have bills to pay. At this time ebook sales are sky rocketing. There really is no incentive to lower the prices. If people stop buying the books at the price they are at now then the publishers would have no choice but to lower them. I can't see this happening anytime soon.

The good thing is you have a choice as to which books you want to purchase. If you feel paper books are better for you price wise then go with those. Personally I will never go back to paper books. I also find a lot of free or very inexpensive ebooks to read all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:04:27 PM PST
Mike says:
Geez, another one of these whiners. And, notice, they make the initial whine, and then never make another comment. Although Kaos will probably prove me wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:07:29 PM PST
why you can't produce less expensive digital editions!
Even if they cost less to produce, doesn't mean that the savings need to be passed on to the customer(s).

If you don't like the prices of eBooks, buy paper books. You're allowed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:12:46 PM PST
Mike says:
That's the whole point, Kaos: buy only that which you consider to be good value. Yes, there are ebooks that I consider too expensive. I just don't buy them, and I do not come here to subject other Kindle owners to my whine. I buy it, or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:13:36 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Possibly can. Possibly don't want to. Usually determined by Publisher base price and market demand.

Your choice to buy or not buy.

This is the very definition of capitalism.

Definitely,

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:14:06 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<Yes, there are ebooks that I consider too expensive. I just don't buy them, and I do not come here to subject other Kindle owners to my whine. I buy it, or not.>>

ditto, here. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:16:41 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
"Help me and others understand why you can't produce less expensive digital editions!"

I'll try, but you're not going to like it.

The price of the books is not directly related to the price of production, any more than it is with hardcopy books.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:17:55 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
ping

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:18:17 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Buy what makes sense for you. I personally find most ebooks to be a terrific value, especially considering that my husband and I can read the same books at the same time.

But if paper books make more sense to you, buy those.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:19:28 PM PST
DL - Stop being so logical! Logic plays no role in these things - you know that!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:23:40 PM PST
If you don't have the money or don't want to spend the money on ebooks, try going to pixelofink.com and they will send you an email daily telling you what are some free & inexpensive ebooks are. There is also the public library because a lot of them now seem to have an online library to where you can check out the books for a week or two. There is also a few other sites that monitor Amazon daily for free ebooks. I have quite a few ebooks and gotten them because of pixelofink.com and the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:34:53 PM PST
Mike says:
So, Kaos HQ, where did you go, or was this just a "drive-by" where you make your silly comment that has been made umpteen times already this week, and then watch the fun? As you will note, there are lots of possibilities for you: don't buy the ebook; buy the DTB instead; borrow the ebook from your library; look for free books on the various sites, including Amazon. But, don't come here and whine to the other customers, who have heard it over and over. Yours is not an original thought and we're not impressed.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:38:52 PM PST
Bang your head!
More price complaints from the mad
Bang your head!
The pricing threads will drive you mad!

(to the tune of Metal Health)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:48:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:04:08 PM PST
I'm not sure that ebooks are supposed to be all that much cheaper necessarily, but I do think the prices should reflect the lower production and shipping costs - there are no actual books to mass-produce, no paper to buy in bulk, no expensive transportation of heavy books, etc. I agree with the many comments, though, that amazon has little to do with the prices, it's the publishers that set the prices and I can certainly understand that amazon could not afford to sell ebooks at a loss, they're already selling the devices themselves at a loss, they have to make their money in some manner.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:07:55 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Once a book leaves the publisher's distibution center, it imposes no more costs upon the publisher. Ever.

An ebook is much different. The distributor (i.e. Amazon) has to have an information infrastructure in place for selling and delivering the book electronically in addition to maintaining account records, rights management, customer support, updates, and more. There is a great investment in computer hardware, network infrastructure, personnel, physical plant, utilities, taxes, and more. An ebook seller must plan on having processes in place to support a single sale for the life of the buyer.

The theory that ebooks are necessarily less expensive because there is no hard copy produced doesn't hold up to an analysis of the entire process of book selling.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:16:32 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
All good points.

You know what?

(altogether now) It ... Does ... Not ... Matter!

Price is set for whatever reasons and the consumer can choose to pay that price or not. Those who set the prices do not need to explain or justify those prices. They can do so if they feel such explanation would boost purchasing and/or customer loyalty but, bottom line, prices are set on eBooks at whatever the provider feels will best suit his business.

~smile~

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:18:34 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Indeed.

(I still think the OP was trolling)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:20:02 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Indubitably. Or, to quote the OP, "definatly" agree.

DL

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:21:30 PM PST
Anne Shirley says:
Fee fi fo fum. I smell the blood of a garden variety troll.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:22:29 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
I think he was just trying to find Agent 86, because...

There is no trolling in KAOS!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:44:57 PM PST
Tillie-Ray says:
I'm like many other Kindle owners, if I think the cost is too high for a particular book, I pass on that one. I put it on my Wish List and sometimes they come down, but there are so many other books out there that I don't worry about the ones that I consider too expensive. With that being said however, if I really, really, want it-I pay the price. Still cheaper than hardcover and that's all I used to buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:02:22 PM PST
flipoid says:
For the most part (except for their own publishing arm), Amazon does not *produce* any books. They sell books that publishers produce.

Why do customers have to "understand" how/why a publisher prices an item they sell? Do you ask dairy farmers why they can't produce cheaper milk? Bakeries why they can't produce cheaper bread?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:07:39 PM PST
But why is one kind of bread cheaper than another? It's all just flour, yeast, and water. Shouldn't all bread cost the same?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:11:39 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
and to add, on Amazon's brand titles, they don't allow the ebook version to be sold for more than the print version.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  172
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions