Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Paperwhite Screen Issue

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1028 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 12:16:22 PM PDT
I just received my Paperwhite and it has a very noticible dark area at the bottom of the screen. Almost looks like four fingers were pressed at the bottom and they have left a dark impression (not claiming this is what happened, simply looks like this).

There is also a speck of very bright light shining through the dark area (like a grain of sand) that, while small, is incredibly distracting.

Anyone else having these issues?

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:19:00 PM PDT
This is the most common problem (the speck of light) that I saw when perusing the Nook glow message boards over at B&N. Apparently on the Nook it is happening ALL the time. I really hope that it's not as common with the paperwhite.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:23:11 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
There has been some posts on this already and it appears that is normal with the Paperwhite from the reviews that have been posted already.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:26:34 PM PDT
Sunshine says:
I have the same issue (with dark areas). I believe they are unlit portions of the screen. If I lower the built-in light settings, the dark areas are the same color as the rest of the screen. Or if I leave it bright and turn on overhead lights, I don't really notice them. Very disappointed.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:30:00 PM PDT
I really find that unacceptable for a product I paid $180 for - particularly since there is ZERO evidence of this issue in the pictures posted of the device on the product page. The only way to eliminate these dark areas is to darken the screen all the way. Hopefully this is simply a faulty device...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 12:32:06 PM PDT
JC says:
Companies photoshop promotional images. All companies. It's the same reason the cheeseburger you order doesn't look like the one you see in the commercial on TV. Advertising needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 12:34:42 PM PDT
Don't really feel this is the same as a cheeseburger, but thanks for the obvious.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:41:01 PM PDT
Watching the review of the PW on Engadget and I don't see the obvious darkness at the bottom that mine has. Will call for a replacement but if this is standard, I will be returning my device.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:42:27 PM PDT
Come on people, do you really not understand how LED lights work? Light, space (little tiny dark space) repeat X 4. I am amazed that they figured out how to flood the page with light using only 4 LED's. They put them at the very bottom of the screen for goodness sake..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 12:43:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2012 12:43:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:44:01 PM PDT
bioyuki says:
A word of warning for people looking to get replacements. Neither Ontrac nor Amazon claim to know where my Kindle is and if I file for a replacement, the soonest that one is available is October 24-26th.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:44:57 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
People, instead of raging and ranting here, contact CS and have your devices replaced.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 12:45:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 12:46:44 PM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
Watch the review on CNET. I dont have my Paperwhite yet, but based on what I see in the video reviews, I don't think it's something I can't overlook.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:50:41 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Mine looks exactly like the one in the CNET review at
http://reviews.cnet.com/kindle-paperwhite/

It's what I expected, and I find it more than acceptable. Indeed, it's gorgeous.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:52:49 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
For those with unevenly lit screens, try adjusting the brightness first.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 12:53:57 PM PDT
The review on CNET seems to have more dark area than Engadget. Either way, on mine it is reaching the text area of the Kindle and I think that might be too much for me to handle. Right now it seems incredibly distracting and not sure $180 is worth paying to only light 90% of my screen.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:55:30 PM PDT
Old Rocker - I've adjusted the brightness and, yes, that evens out the light when you hit the darkest settings...problem is why did I pay for a lit screen if I have to turn the light down for it to be even and not distract from my reading?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 12:57:55 PM PDT
Bridget Ruth says:
The more I see about these specks the more I think it might be an imperfection in the light diffusing layer of the screen. A piece of dust or something that's refracting the light and is especially noticeable when in one of those dark areas around the LEDs.

Even in cleanrooms you can get stuff like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 1:00:07 PM PDT
Bridget Ruth says:
Because it's still loads better than a clipped on light that only illuminates 3/4s of the screen and has to be at just the right angle to not cause glare or a backlit LCD? A little shadow at the bottom is no biggie compared to those options.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 1:02:01 PM PDT
Thanks for posting that cnet link. I hadn't seen those dark areas before.

Although I'm sure it will be a distraction for me if mine has that, I think it is something I would eventually get used to. Have you ever had a visual device (monitor, tv, etc.) that had an imperfection, but after a while you got used to it? My brother's TV (one of those big fancy shmancy ones) has a long water-stained area at the bottom of the screen. I stopped noticing it after a while.

If you are debating returning it (and possibly getting a replacement that has the same thing), I suggest keeping it for several days and reading regularly to see if you notice the dark areas less over time. Also keep in mind if you do return it, you might possibly have to wait a while for a replacement. Just my 2 cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 1:05:32 PM PDT
Had I known about the shadow or been given any indication one existed, perhaps I wouldn't be as ticked off. While the screen as a whole is much sharper and more responsive to the touch from the previous Kindle Touch, the dark area is simply a no go for me. I will give it a couple days to see if its just a case of getting used to, but right now I'm leaning to returning this. Not worth the price of the upgrade for me.

As far as the speck goes, it is also a distraction but I wouldn't notice it if the bottom weren't so dark...and even with the speck, I could get over it. Not a deal breaker for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 1:07:45 PM PDT
Cyndie says:
Exactly. I know when I first got my K2i, the page flashed black when I would turn the page and I thought...what the? But after a day or two I never even noticed it anymore. My daughter got a K2i awhile later and asked why it flashed black when she turned the page. I said give it a day or two and you won't even notice it anymore. And she didn't.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 1:09:26 PM PDT
I've been considering the possibility that this may be similar to an issue the iPhones had. Because the devices were manufactured so recently, it MAY be glue drying between the screens. IF that is the case, like the iPhones, it should go away in a few days as the glue fully dries. Mine look like slightly discolored areas.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 1:15:36 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Spots on the screen can definitely be caused by issues in the lamination process.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 1:16:40 PM PDT
Sunshine says:
A new one is on the way (in a few weeks). I expect the new one will have the same issue. I do wish I had seen the cnet review. I had seen numerous others but did not note this issue. I stopped reading so I could wait on my new Kindle.

In any case, I'll have a few weeks to see if it stops bothering me (if the new one has the same issue).

Good Luck Everyone.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 42 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  219
Total posts:  1028
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 34 customers

Search Customer Discussions