Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 3:46:18 PM PST
Gaus says:
So after 1st year at $50, what is cost of 2nd yr, 3rd yr, etc.
Or where can I go to find out

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:52:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 3:53:26 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
It will be AT&Ts standard rates for tablets. Currently $14.99 per month for the 250mb plan. They also have larger plans if needed.

Check out thier website for pricing in your area.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 4:21:19 PM PST
Some also say (as in rumour) that Amazon is working on negotiating a special deal. Right now it's anyone's guess but Bixillaria gives you one idea.

Many people are going with the cheaper version and then using their smart phone as a hotspot to connect the Fire to the internet. Very expensive if you plan on streaming movies but with the 250 megs/month with Amazon's plan, you can't stream a movie either.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 2:33:00 PM PST
Philo Janus says:
$14.99/month -> $180/year. Whoa. That's a huge difference. And that's if there aren't changes, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:35:26 PM PST
So your issue is that the first year promotional price is too inexpensive?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:44:41 PM PST
Philo Janus says:
My issue is being misled about the ongoing subscription cost. Especially since the 4G regular Kindle gets data service for free, I was a bit surprised that the Fire 4G had a subscription cost. Then the bold print and the huge comparison chart all suggests it's $50/year instead of $50 for the first year and over three times that annually thereafter.

With free data I was definitely going 4G. At $50/year, I was iffy. If they openly advertised $180/year ongoing, then I never would've considered it. Of course, this is exactly why they bury it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:46:30 PM PST
T. Cook says:
Well, you can always buy an iPad instead of a Kindle, I'm sure since Apple makes so much money, it's cheaper over there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:52:59 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
there isn't a 4G regular kindle, just a 3G/wifi Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite and Touch - the old Kindle 2nd Gen and 1st Gen as well as the DX were 3G only.

Currently, with the exception of the Kindle Keyboard, wifi has to be used to access the internet and browse, so being able to use 4G is a step up and means you won't have to be restricted to a location where you can access wifi

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:05:31 AM PST
The Artist says:
You can't compare the tiny size of a book to the very large size of a movie. Why should Amazon have to pay so you can watch movies over 4G?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:16:39 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
I recall it as $50 for the first year. if not, then why are so many people asking the price of the subsequent years? I suspect they realized, like I did, that the first year means the first year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:39:25 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Nothing misleading. The product page states $50 for the FIRST YEAR. Does not claim anything past that. That is a hell of a deal compared to the regular pricing. Name any other tablet out there that even comes close to the same deal?

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:22:04 AM PST
The Artist says:
It seems like everytime Amazon offers a great deal or special price, people will still whine for more!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:30:50 AM PST
Philo Janus says:
I'm not whining for more - it is what it is. I'm whining about feeling misled.

At the top of the page:

"Get 250MB a month for 12 months with a one-time payment of $49.99 - no monthly payments. If you need more data, 3GB and 5GB monthly plans are also available."

With "one-time payment of $49.99" in bold. Well in my experience, "one-time payment" means you only have to pay it once, EVER. Not that you only *get* to pay it once before it triples.

It **should** read:

"Get 250MB a month for 12 months for an annual payment of $49.99 (first year only; following years will be $180/year). If you need more data, 3GB and 5GB monthly plans are also available."

Then this comparison chart:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/dp/2012/KJ/feature-4g._V389600645_.gif

Compares the annual price for iPad data against the first year discounted price for 4G data. Yes, it's technically true, and yes the following years are still cheaper. But it's misleading.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:37:37 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
Get 250MB a month for 12 months

that says one year

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:48:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:49:35 AM PST
It amazes me when people selectively read product pages. Scroll down--the product page reads:

Groundbreaking 4G LTE Package

Amazon worked closely with AT&T to offer the most affordable 4G tablet data package. This 12 month AT&T 4G data package includes 250MB a month of blazing fast data, 20GB of additional Cloud Drive storage, and a $10 Amazon Appstore promotional credit, all for a one-time payment of only $49.99, with no monthly payments required. The $49.99 package is only available for the first year of service. If you need more data, additional 3GB and 5GB data plans from AT&T are also available for purchase. You can sign up for a data plan right from your device.

Note it clearly says "The $49.99 package is only available for the first year of service..."

Don't be frustrated with Amazon when you didn't fully read the information available. You were not mislead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:49:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 7:09:59 AM PST
It says you get 250 MB for 12 months for $49.99. What on earth were you expecting to happen after that initial 12 months? You're not paying any more money, but you also don't have any more data.

You're also being completely misleading in your "It ***should*** read" sentence. Because you're not paying $180.00 per year for 250 MB of data. If you choose the $14.99/month plan for 250 MB, you're paying $179.88 per year for 3,000 MB of data.

Personally, I think the first year's plan is really junky. You have a tablet whose purpose is to stream data and if you want that 250 MB to last the whole first year you have to ration yourself to 20.8 MB per month. Good luck with that. Most people will, without realizing, use the entire 250 MB in a couple months. It's not a lot of data to last a whole year.

ETA: Yes, I'd been misreading part of the product description the whole time (seriously...since the plan was announced I read it as 250 MB for the year). Still not planning to shell out the money for a 4G Fire HD, but it's a much less ridiculous plan now that everyone's corrected me. Thanks for that! Oh, and I didn't want to be one of those people that just deleted their post when they were corrected. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:50:17 AM PST
One time payment means that it is paid in one payment, not spread out into 12 monthly payments.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:51:01 AM PST
You get 250 MB/month, not per year with the plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:52:53 AM PST
You beat me to it, HJ!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:23:40 AM PST
Bwaaah! Spin it any way you like. 12 months is still only ever going to be one year, bless your little heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:29:21 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
well, maybe not on Mars...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:32:45 AM PST
As Tink-erbell and Handbag Junkie pointed out, it's 250 MB per month. Also, that's for the 4G - if you want to stream data, use wi-fi. That's why it's there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:34:42 AM PST
Except we'd know if someone were posting from Mars because even the price of wi-fi would be Amazon's fault.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:42:47 AM PST
Philo Janus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:45:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:48:52 AM PST
You just copied and pasted your own answer:

"The $49.99 package is only available for the first year of service."

Did you not read the word "ONLY?"

Edited to add "word" and quotes.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions