Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does My Clippings.txt only ever show me the notes and highlights I made on my Kindle Touch?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 11:35:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 11:37:05 AM PDT
Is there a file, like My Clippings.txt where I can access all my notes and highlights that I've made on my Kindle Touch & the Kindle app on my iPad?

I was just experimenting with my Kindle Touch and the Kindle software on my iPad. I made a highlight on my Kindle Touch, I made a note on my Kindle Touch, I made a highlight from within the Kindle app on my iPad, and I took a note there as well. Here is what I see:

1) Any highlights and notes I make on my Kindle Touch appears in My Clippings.txt.

2) Any highlights and note I made on my Kindle iPad app do not and will not ever appear on My Clippings.txt.

3) All highlights and notes made on any device are visible from the "My Highlights" page at Kindle.Amazon.com, HOWEVER it is not possible to view all of those highlights unless I keep scrolling to the bottom of the page and load more highlights. In other words, it takes a person, a computer, and some time to physically keep scrolling to view all my highlights.

So my questions are:

1) Are my conclusions above correct?

2) Is there a file anywhere that I can access that contains all my highlights and notes?

3) If the answer to #2 is no, then is there a way to view all my highlights and notes other than as I described in #3 above?

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 1:23:00 PM PDT
1 - Yes
2 - No - you've found the right way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:41:18 AM PDT
Is there any solution to the above problem? as we now have no effective way to read through our highlights on other Apps. My highlights in personal documents don't even show up on the webpage, so I cannot access them at all. This completely defeats the purpose of making highlights in an e-book as I now have to flip through every page to read them.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:23:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 3:25:50 AM PST
Leumas says:
Only the eInk Kindles have the MyClippings.Txt file and it is individual to each device. All the Kindle Reader Apps and the Fires do not do that.

However as you have noted, Amazon maintains a web site where all your highlights and notes are kept for you and you can view them from there.

But as you have noticed the viewing of all the highlights and notes can be tediously slow.

However, you can view the highlights and notes for each individual book by itself and this can be a lot faster and easier.

When you go to the Kindle.Amazon.com site and login in you will see at the top the options to "your highlights" which gives you all of them in one big list....or you can choose the option called "your books" and then select the book you want ...or you can search for it from there.... and that will show you all the highlights and notes just for that book....which is a lot quicker and easier to do.

I hope that helps.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:47:51 PM PST
I'm also looking for a way to download my notes made in kindle for ipad or see them in the PC. Support guy just told me that currently there's no way to do it. If someone figures out how to make it, please let me know.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:42:24 AM PST
A. Ganong says:
Ok I have a kindle keyboard and when I click on my highlights it is only what I have highlighted on my kindle iPhone app not the contents of my clippings. Is there any way to combine them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:47:17 AM PST
Worse yet, on at least one book of mine that i read on my iPad's Kindle software, I can't even see those highlights on my Amazon.com page of highlights. It says I made too many highlights so it will only show me a portion of them. So I spent weeks reading and studying this book, making highlights, and all for nothing!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:49:15 AM PST
In some cases even your solution doesn't work. I spent weeks reading and studying a book on my iPad and highlighting constantly. When I went back to look at the highlights later there was a message that I had highlighted too many passages and they woudl only let me see a portion of my work! I will never order another book from that publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:07:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 8:11:45 AM PST
Leumas says:
This a restriction put on by the publisher.

BUT.... there is a work around....not ideal but WORKS....

First... go to the highlights page and copy all the visible highlights and put them in a file.

Next....delete all the highlights that you just copied....that will make the remainder of the highlights visible.

Repeat the process untill all the highlights are now copied to your file.

So now you have all the highlights you made.... not on the Amazon page but in a file.... not ideal but at least you have them.

It is not Amazon's fault ...it is the publisher's..... Amazon provides a GREAT service with their highlights site which makes studying and researching books using the Kindle a TREMENDOUS ASSET.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:22:18 AM PST
Well it still does seem Amazon's fault to a certain extent. The publisher at least allows Kindle owners to put all those highlights in the Clippings.txt file. But Amazon doesn't generate a clippings.txt file for folks using the Kindle software on the iPad. If Amazon is allowed to generate the file on the Kindle then why won't they generate it on the iPad?

It is so awful to spend so much time studying a book only later to realize your work isn't being recorded. I agree that's largely the publisher's fault and I would never buy another book from this publisher for that reason, but Amazon could at least provide the same clippings.txt file on the iPad that they do on the Kindle. And I don't want to read books on the Kindle because the Kindle sucks for taking notes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:30:41 AM PST
MB says:
I agree - I just realized the same thing - that I can't get the highlights out from my iPad version. Very disappointed!

What's frustrating is that they appear to be showing up in my old Kindle once I've sync'ed, but they don't go to the "my clippings" file. This might be an intentional flaw on Amazon's part, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 2:42:42 PM PST
I think you are right about the "intentional flaw." It really seems as if they want to make the highlights as unaccessible as they can. The ebook company that maximizes access to the readers own highlights has an opportunity to come out on top.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:16:42 PM PST
J Jones says:
I have an assistant copy the highlights shown on the My Highlights page online into a note in Evernote. I keep a notebook entitled "Book Notes" and a new note for every book. It's very quick and simple and provides a ubiquitous and wonderfully notated copy of all my ebook highlights.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:16:43 PM PST
J Jones says:
I have an assistant copy the highlights shown on the My Highlights page online into a note in Evernote. I keep a notebook entitled "Book Notes" and a new note for every book. It's very quick and simple and provides a ubiquitous and wonderfully notated copy of all my ebook highlights.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 11:09:42 AM PST
For anyone who is using a Kindle that generates the clippings file, you have to check out clippings converter, especially if you want your highlights in Evernote. It works great.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 2:39:20 PM PDT
Scott Howard says:
People are too quick to defend amazon. It's seems a basic thing to expect that these apps would allow you to save a clipping from your book with the book name, Author, and location in the book that it was clipped from. But this is apparently too much to expect. Yes, amazon provides a good service but they make a lot of money doing it and they should do it right. This expectation is not unreasonable. The only thing that I have found that does it cleanly is using the Kindle Windows reading app along with Cinta Notes, this setup does a beautiful job but there is no way to do it on the kindle devices, the ipad, or anything else I've seen. MyClippings.txt will not include location and author in the clippings and neither does the amazon notes and highlights web page. In my opinion this is just plain incompetence from amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 6:24:00 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
You say that people are too quick to defend Amazon. This is probably because Barnes & Noble doesn't provide any way at all to collect your highlights. At least we have the clippings file and the http://kindle.amazon.com site. Personally I think Amazon has done a good job with this insofar as the publishers will allow them. How would you collect your highlights from a print book? Only by going through the book and writing or typing each segment that you highlighted. At least it is easier on the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 8:27:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2013 8:27:55 PM PDT
Leumas says:
I second that.... the website http://kindle.amazon.com is EXTREMELY useful and is unrivaled ... Amazon has provided an amazing service for their customers in this regard.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 8:08:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 8:09:11 PM PDT
Scott Howard says:
I guess I just find the comments amusing. I realize that it's a good service. I also realize what the technology is capable of, and I know how much amazon and the publisher are raking in, and it seems expecting to do a thing like this correct, is such a paltry expectation. But I guess we should just be content and continue typing out our notes like they were still written on paper. What was I thinking.

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2013 7:39:19 PM PDT
FredF42 says:
The website is broken. The last two books I read, the website shows just a fraction of the highlights. I would understand limits if I highlighted the whole book, but the mbp file on my Kindle Fire is only 26k and half of it is their notations. If I could find a program that extracted from an MBP file in a way that included the locations, I would be happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2013 9:23:54 PM PDT
King Al says:
I disagree. The website shows ALL of my highlights.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2013 10:26:35 PM PDT
Try http://www.clippingsconverter.com/. I love it!

Posted on May 16, 2013 8:29:36 AM PDT
Is there a way to make highlights to my "personal documents" appear on http://kindle.amazon.com "my highlights" list?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 10:18:45 AM PDT
B. Hepp says:
I don't believe this is possible, but I am still looking for such a solution.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 10:34:29 AM PDT
I use Mi iPhone and my kindle paperwhite alternatively. When i highlight or make a note while reading in my iPhone and the synchronize the file both before y stop reading in mi iphone and before i start reading in my kindle, all the highlights and notes made in my iphone appear in myclippings.txt file from my kindle. Son nothing is lost if you synchronize de files.
Unless I am missing the point.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.4
9 1 hour ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
42 48 minutes ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 9233 2 minutes ago
Please Improve Kindle! 103 7 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 1149 11 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 2442 12 minutes ago
Confused about Kindle Unlimited - audio books 60 16 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite, read while charging 0 19 minutes ago
No flash player on Kindle Fire HD? 794 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions