Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

wireless router

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 10:44:51 AM PST
SandySueS says:
wireless router

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:45:11 AM PST
J. Donahue says:
Is this a finish the sentence game?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:45:20 AM PST
Yes. Did you have a question?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:45:50 AM PST
SandySueS says:
what wireless router is the best for 8.9" Kindle...and does it have to be a HD streaming router?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:45:57 AM PST
GMTA.

You HAVE a wireless router? You WANT a wireless router? You LOST a wireless router?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:46:58 AM PST
No. Any router that sends your internet access (cable, dsl, whatever you have) wirelessly through your house will do. Netgear, Belkin, they all work. You can ask at Best Buy.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:48:09 AM PST
SandySueS says:
I purchased a wireless router but it does not support HD streaming and was curious what is the correct Router I need to use the 8.9 kindle? I am at a loss here and may just return this item.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:48:10 AM PST
lol... I wouldn't ask THERE, but yeah.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:48:21 AM PST
Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router

Forgot Linksys. Heard good things about them, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:48:41 AM PST
Well, I use Best Buy sort of generically, like Kleenex.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:48:49 AM PST
J. Donahue says:
A wireless router that doesn't support HD streaming?

Wow, I didn't know wireless routers were that specific.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:49:38 AM PST
Ignore the HD nonsense. You JUST need a router that will take your computer's internet connection and toss it into the air for wireless devices to use. That's it. Don't overthink it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:50:06 AM PST
What is your Internet speed? I believe that is more important, really, before you go buy a new router.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:53:10 AM PST
Right?

My old, dusty, I-don't-even-remember router that's sat in my hall way since 2008 works GREAT for the 8.9 HD I opened on Christmas works great with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:55:08 AM PST
I have the cheapest Mbps (2) my cable company offers. We run 3 Fires, 1 laptop, and 2 Roku boxes from that, no problem.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:59:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:00:10 AM PST
The cheapest wireless router on the market is going to be all you need to support streaming a movie to your Kindle. But -- a caveat: buy a new one. Some old routers (prior to 2006) choke on video packets. I had an old Linksys that I had to replace.

I now have a very cheap Belkin that I use for two Roku's, five Kindle HDs, three laptops and a desktop PC. Oh, and seven Nintendo DSs. It does great. You can probably get what you need for under $40.

Your Internet connection is more likely to give you trouble. Check your speed there because even an el-cheapo wireless router is going to be faster than you Internet connection.

J.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:00:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:00:54 AM PST
Yeah. Ours usually runs between 3 and 4 mbps and everything, 3 PC's, 2 laptops, a smartphone and a Fire all run just fine. Our router, too, is over 6 years old. Never a problem here.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:01:20 AM PST
SandySueS says:
this is what I did purchase at Walmart Netgear N150 I just don't know if this is good enough...
and my internet connection is Satellite is 10GB.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:06:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:23:10 AM PST
That N150 should do just fine.

Satellite 10 GigaByte . . . 10GB is likely your monthly data threshold. That is, about three hours of High-Def movie. That could be a problem. If it's the Dish Network plan your download speed is 12 Megabits per second, which is more than enough. But fair warning -- that 10 Gigabytes per month will run out if you use the Fire as a TV set.

Understand the difference --

10GB (10 Gigabytes) is an amount of data. It's about two DVD's worth of data per month, whether you use it all in one sitting over over a period of days and weeks.

12Mbps (12 Megabits per second) is a speed. It's how fast the satellite can ship you the data. It's fast enough to download movies and TV, but you can blow through a lot of data very quickly with it, running through your 10GB cap in a weekend.

Movies chow big amounts of data. Look for a plan with no monthly limit. If you're looking to download apps and books, browse the Internet, buy a few songs now and again . . . 10GB will do you. If you want to watch all the Harry Potter movies in order in one crazy caffeine-and-Riuniti-fueled weekend, well, you'll have a sudden surprise about halfway through Azkaban.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:16:32 AM PST
SandySueS says:
Thank you for your input. I am not planning on watching movies on the Kindle. Mainly want to just use it for music like watching you tube...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:19:41 AM PST
SandySueS says:
this is what the speed is from Northland Connect.
do you think this will be ok for watching YouTube?
thank you so much for your help
Up to
12 Mbps

downstream

Up to 3 Mbps upstream

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:21:05 AM PST
YouTube is still going to eat your bandwidth quickly.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:21:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:23:56 AM PST
Well, speed-wise you're all set. But I think there may be an issue with YouTube since it uses Flash for its videos. I've been told that Flash doesn't work on Fires, but I haven't tested it myself. I'm not educated enough to speak to that, but it's worth investigating. Someone here may chime in.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:27:40 AM PST
"I've been told that Flash doesn't work on Fires, but I haven't tested it myself."

Flash will certainly "work" on a Kindle Fire, but Adobe dropped Flash for Android in Aug. 2012, meaning any new Android device does not have Flash built in, or a Flash compatible web browser. You can install Flash fairly easily. I can post the instructions if needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:31:17 AM PST
SandySueS says:
please do send me the instructions. Maybe I should purchase something other than this Kindle Fire HD so we can use YouTube...any suggestions?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions