why cant i buy books from u.s and u.k at the same time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 12:02:52 AM PST
why cant i buy books from u.s and u.k at the same time

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 12:23:10 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
because a kindle can only be registered to one account

also, unless you live in the UK, you cannot register your kindle there - it's for UK residents only and to change country, you'd have to provide your address in the UK and possibly even have a UK credit card with a UK billing address.

it's due to legalities - the ebooks and digital content sold on amazon.co.uk is only licensed to be sold to UK residents (it's the same with trying to access BBC TV programs outside the UK)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:36:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 4:37:24 AM PST
I live in Mexico. If I went to the airport to meet someone I used to buy paperback books while I was there. I was not unusual to buy a paperback in English with a large sticker saying, "Not for Sale in the U.S." In my opinion, the copyright laws are badly out of date and serve to protect not the writer or artist but the publishing companies. Copyright laws ignore the reality of things like ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:19:15 AM PST
Just because the copyright laws are "badly out of date" (which I agree with), doesn't mean that Amazon or any other business will break the law. Think of how long the music industry has fought against the gobal economy. The publishing laws (copyright, distribution, etc) are fighting the same battle. I don't see either changing much in my lifetime, unfortunately.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:08:21 AM PST
January says:
Because they are different countries with different copyright laws.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:29:04 AM PST
Barbara White says: "why cant i buy books from u.s and u.k at the same time"

Because you don't live in the US and UK at the same time. Distribution rights laws make the physical location of the purchaser of a digitally downloaded good to be the region the item is distributed to. So if you are in the US you can only get books from companies with distribution rights in the US, and if you are in the UK then it's UK Distribution rights holders. They do allow for international travel so the accounts are based on your permanent residence based on shipping and billing address.

Physical books are the same as far as distribution. But the purchaser as far as distribution goes is the retailer/wholesaler rather than the end buyer. Due to them being physical goods import/export laws come into play if an end user located in a different country than the retailer/wholesaler wants to buy them. That's why you can buy physical books from either country

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:35:49 AM PST
Patrick T. Kelly says: "In my opinion, the copyright laws are badly out of date and serve to protect not the writer or artist but the publishing companies. Copyright laws ignore the reality of things like ebooks."

For the most part it's not copyright laws. It's contract and distribution laws. The same person/company has the copyright regardless of what country they or a buyer is in. That copyright holder assigns distribution rights to other companies if they choose. They could assign it to different ones in different regions or give global rights to one entity. The time copyright law comes into play is if it's something that is public domain in one region but still under copyright in another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:38:04 AM PST
Clear and concise. Well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:54:20 AM PST
I never suggested breaking the law. But, it's long past the time we should have international publishers. I realize publishers pay to see that this doesn't happen. Why shouldn't an author be able to contract with a publisher and have his book sold worldwide. Oh, right, publishers pay politicians to see that we don't have that.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:58:51 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
This author chose to not sell the rights to his book internationally, but to break them up:

http://boingboing.net/2012/06/14/why-the-ebook-you-want-isnt.html
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions