Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Is there a wireless service provider that provides service Fire HD 7in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 11:45:56 AM PST
Diane W. says:
I can't find the answer in the forums. I just got a Kindle Fire HD with 7in screen. I use the wifi at home but I want to be able to use kindle when I am out and about and wifi is not an option. Who is the service provider that I can get connected with wirelessly?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:47:23 AM PST
Diane, the 7" Fire only uses WiFi, it does not use cell towers. You need to either find a location that offers WiFi, or provide your own, through your wireless network at home, or by using a Smart Phone as a hotspot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:51:47 AM PST
Diane W. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:54:18 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
If you bought it from Amazon within the last 30 days, you can return it for a refund. I think you do have to pay shipping but they will take it back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:56:13 AM PST
Data plans for tablet devices are pricey. You can easily download books and or videos to the Fire, so that you can use them even if not connected to WiFi.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:57:14 AM PST
Diane W. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:59:36 AM PST
Diane, respectfully, how is it Amazon's fault that you didn't explore all of the details about the device before you bought it?

Why don't you tell us how you like to use the Fire. It is a nice device, even for those times that you can't connect to a WiFi signal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:01:26 PM PST
T. Cook says:
It is not useless, as Meya stated above, outside your house, either find a location that provides WIFI or use your smartphone as a wifi hotspot through your cellular provider.
You asked "Who is the service provider that I can get connected with wirelessly?"
The answer is whoever your cellular provider is - use a wireless hotspot through a cell phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:24:00 PM PST
Diane W. says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:30:41 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
The product page makes it clear the 7" Fire cannot connect directly to the cell network. Meya's question was reasonable. It's not Amazon's fault you didn't do sufficient research, or ask this question earlier.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:40:31 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 7, 2012 1:56:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:42:11 PM PST
Boo-Dittie says:
The information you claim you couldn't find is readily available. The problem is that you're using the generic term "wireless" instead of the specific term "cellular." Wireless encompasses both wi-fi and cellular. Cellular requires additional hardware that is only available on the 8.9" Fire HD with 4G LTE, in the case of Kindle Fire. In the case of Apple iPad, only the ones that say wi-fi plus 3G or 4G include that hardware, along with a $129 higher price tag.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:43:18 PM PST
The Kindle Fire HD 7" does have wireless capabilities, through WiFi. What is does not have is 3G or 4G cellular capabilities. The product description page mentions WiFi but it does not mention 3G or 4G. If it had 3G or 4G it would say so. Down towards the bottom of the product description page is a comparison table. If you look at the Connectivity row you can see that the only Fire with cellular (4G) capability is Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi. Even the name of the Fire indicates whether or not it has 4G.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:03:23 PM PST
B. Marks says:
Wireless is an option. Wifi IS wireless.

You can get a mobile hotspot so you do always have Wifi with you but be aware that you won't be able to watch streaming videos with that unless you're very rich. A streaming video or two will take up a full normal monthly allotement. That's true with Apple products as well.

Nobody called you an idiot. A lot of people do the same research you did and they figure it out. You didn't. We all blow it sometimes.

I think in this thread the post that comes closest to being disrespectful is yours. I suggest that you relax and enjoy your new device.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:14:03 PM PST
Diane - You can look into a device that generates a wi fi signal using 4g technology. NetZero currently offers some without contracts:

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=GO20120725205954100005s_netzero&tsacr=GO15227635454&gclid=CJG2q-3ivbMCFcN_Qgod0iIA3Q

If you look at the NetZero link above, you would want something like the second device on the right (the square one, The NetZero 4G hotspot).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:15:37 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Diane, to be fair it is not Amazon's fault that you didn't know what you needed. You can get a WiFi hot spot device from just about any service provider to connect through their service. Some require a contract and some have a monthly plan without contract.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:18:15 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 7, 2012 1:19:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:34:11 PM PST
The various cell providers offer a Mi-Fi ( HotSpot) service for about 50 dollars a month through which you can connect your Fire. These plans @ 50/mo provide 5Gb per mo which is quite a lot if you don't stream a lot of video through it..

Having this service, for me, allows me to connect any/all/ my tablets and notebooks to the 'net' while on the go and not have to have a smart phone (which I don't need) I use a very cheap dumb prepaid cell phone as I do not want to own any device smarter than I.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:40:16 PM PST
The Blade says:
She didn't call you an id**t, but I will.

It is no ones fault but your own that you didn't take a few minutes to read the entire product description page before you hit the buy button. It is no ones fault but your own that you chose to try to lay the blame for your own shortcomings onto Amazon. it is no ones fault but your own that you took a shot at Meya when she was trying to be helpful.

Accept responsibility for yourself. YOU are responsible for the decisions you make. No one else is. Geez.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:54:39 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 7, 2012 1:59:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:39:17 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
You could have called Amazon customer service and asked them.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:39:51 AM PST
I,too, have been deciding on the best fire for my needs but after reading the beating Diane got, I'll look for someone who is simply there too help un-tech people like me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:44:21 AM PST
Diane didn't get a beating. She bought something without doing research, then complained that it wasn't what she wanted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:18:48 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Most people, when they make stupid mistakes -- and haven't we all? -- beat *themselves* up. But Diane chose to blame Amazon for her mistake. Derision ensued.

She could have called Kindle CS even though she was at 31 days and asked for a refund. They might well have extended the courtesy. And if she didn't understand the technologies involved she could have asked -- maybe on a forum like this, even -- for guidance before purchasing. People are surprisingly helpful when asked politely to share their expertise and experience. Start your own thread, Cheryl, if you haven't already, asking for help with your choice. See what happens.

Instead she chose to make an uninformed purchase, spend a month not trying to find out why it didn't do what she mistakenly thought it could do, and then come on here and blame someone else for her error. No admission that any of it was her own fault. She earned the reaction she got.

She could still call Kindle CS, though. They don't generally read this forum. She could blame Sandy or something, I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 12:49:36 PM PST
How do I connect the kindle fire hd to my smartphone. Please help, thank you!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 2 days ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Anyone seen shipping notice for Kindle Voyage ? 202 1 minute ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 4849 1 minute ago
Just Walked into Best Buy and Bought a Kindle Voyage 6 1 minute ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 1650 2 minutes ago
Font sizes on Kindle Voyage vs Kindle Keyboard 23 3 minutes ago
Are lots of people having problems with uneven lighting on the Voyage? 6 3 minutes ago
Playing multiple apps at the same time 0 3 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage just delivered! 88 4 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions