Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire LCD 1st Generation vs. Kindle Fire LCD 2nd Generation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 116 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2012 9:11:38 AM PDT
I'm looking for a comparison between the 1st & 2nd Generation Kindle Fire 7" LCD devices. Has anyone here replaced their 1st generation with the second? The reviews on the $159 version all seem to be comparing the KFLCD2 to the KFHD instead of comparing it to the KFLCD1, which doesn't help me much.

I know most of you here seem to have upgraded to the HD, but I thought there might be one or two out there who could tell me if the KFLCD2 is a definite improvement (or not) over the KFLCD1.

I couldn't find a thread about this, so if I've overlooked one, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 9:56:35 AM PDT
onewac says:
There is a difference between the two. I have been spoiled by the retina display on my ipad so when I go to use the Fire 1, it really drives my eyes crazy. The pixels etc are real noticeable. The new HD 7inch is more in line with the clarity. While the lines/pixels are somewhat visible there is a big difference. I would suspect that the 8.9 is probably more in line with the retina since it is 1080 instead of the HD's 720. At any rate I am impressed with the screen and have to say it is worth the upgrade.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:13:28 AM PDT
Sarah C. says:
So far from what I have read is that the 1st has less RAM and a different OS. But it does support Adobe Flash, where as the Fire 2, has more RAM, and does NOT support Flash. I have been looking for a good side-by-side comparison myself. I love my Kindle Fire 1 and want to purchase another, but since my kids play Kids Mode by Zoodles so much (which requires FLASH), I may have to look for a used one instead of buying a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:14:13 AM PDT
Sarah, you can install the Dolpin browser, and load Flash under it. It works fine.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:19:02 AM PDT
Sarah C. says:
would that still work for the apps? Or just on the browser?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:22:31 AM PDT
Apps are little programs by themselves. If an app is designed to work on the Fire HD, it will run.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:26:49 AM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
If Kid Mode: Kids Games + Child Lock is the app you are concerned about, it is showing in the appstore as compatible with my Kindle Fire HD.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:30:39 AM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
I think it's a definite improvement. It's thinner and a bit lighter than my old Fire, and feels a bit better in my hand. Better screen, better sound, twice the storage. I'm very happy with the Fire HD.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:34:17 AM PDT
Sarah C. says:
I only question this becuase I have seen a few reviews that said that they bought the new one and the app was available but it didn't work...

copied from a users comments 2 days ago on the Kindle Fire:
"I purchased a 2nd gen kindle fire after having the 1st gen kindle almost a year. I liked all the new stuff they added, but they sure as heck didnt tell me about the stuff they removed from it. Specifically the Adobe flash player. My kids like this app called zoodles and it doesnt work without flash. After trying to figure out how to turn it on, I called amazon tech support. They said the new kindle currently doesnt support flash. So I asked if it will one day, and they said they cant make any promises. Sorry to say, this made me return the kindle. I will likely get one again when it supports flash like the old kindle fire does(if I havent bought another competitors tablet by then)"

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:38:50 AM PDT
Sarah C. says:
also the a few of the comments talk about Ads that pop up all over the place and that the only way to get rid of them is to bay and extra $15, Is this true too? Does anyone know where there is a good side-by-side comparison of the 1st and 2nd generation Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:39:47 AM PDT
Adobe has dropped Flash support for all current android devices. It is not just Kindle Fires. Any mobile device is going to have the same lack/limitation. Apple has never supported Flash.

You can get around this by loading Dolphin on the Fire HD, then installing Flash. I did it on my Fire HD. It works perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:41:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 8:41:33 AM PDT
Oh my, that is just flat out not true. I really don't know where you are getting your information, but it's false.

The Special Offers show up on the sleep / lock screen. Sometimes there is a small text line across the bottom of the Home Page. Nothing that Amazon does "pops up" anywhere.

Anyone who is seeing pop up ads on the browser is getting them from free apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:41:08 AM PDT
The extra $15 is to remove the special offers. The only time pop-up ads appear on any Fire is when someone had downloaded free apps. The pop-ups are the way the "free" app developers earn money and paying the extra $15 won't affect them. The only way to avoid them is to not download free apps.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:56:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 3:05:42 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Have both devices. The KFHD is a significant upgrade in almost all respects (screen resolution, reduction of glare, sound, memory, storage, smooth operation, etc. etc. etc.) Sideloading for Flash is straightforward and the only real complication is that the latest version of the Dolphin Browser (a Flash friendly app) doesn't fully support Flash either. Instead, one should download version 8.5.1. There's a thread on this issue. Just search for it.

All in all if the choice is between the $159 "upgraded" original KF and the $199 KFHD, it's a no brainer unless the $40 difference is challenge for a consumer.

As far as advertising is concerned, I personally don't object to the minimal ads for "special offers" on the lock screen and in the lower left corner of the main screen. If you don't want to see them, pay the $15 but it seems a waste of money to me. YMMV.

However, and I cannot stress this enough, the "Customers Also Bought" feature on the main screen is an abomination (!) that cannot be removed even if you pay the $15. It's not that it's so bad in itself. I'd be happy to put up with it except for the fact that I have a VERY strong suspicion that it is involved in an infuriating bug that eliminates the capacity to permanently remove items from the Carousel. Remove items and they come back along with other items that were never on the Carousel in the first place. The only workaround I've found is to fill up my "Favorites" and use it as an alternative to the Main UI on the KFHD since if you put enough items in Favorites, touching the star obliterates the entire Carousel and the CAB strip.

Amazon has told at least one professional reviewer that they plan to fix the problem with a software update but until they do, my opinion is that it makes the KFHD a significantly less attractive product. So much so that I would avoid it until the bug is fixed.

ETA: The ability to hide the "Customers Also Bought" strip on the main screen is included in the 7.2.1 software update. Unfortunately, the reappearing items in the Carousel has not yet been fixed.

ETA: And now the zombie bug in the Carousel has been fixed. No software update required. It was an Amazon server problem.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 9:18:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 9:21:03 AM PDT
J. Martin says:
I'm wondering the same thing, and if the HD is worth the extra $40. I am purchasing one for my pre-teen for Christmas. He'll mainly use it for games and I'm wondering if the new 2nd generation Kindle Fire is fine (I think it is) or if I should get the HD.

Also, we will need to have flash. Is it fairly easy to load Dolphin and install it (for a non-computer saavy person)?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 9:27:31 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
J. Martin,

The HD has twice the storage and a significantly enhanced display compared to the Second Generation Kindle Fire. I believe it's worth the additional $40 but ymmv.

Side loading and installing the Dolphin HD browser is a multi-step process but it does not require any special computer skills or experience if you follow the directions. Takes about 10 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 9:40:58 AM PDT
J. Martin says:
That helps, thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 9:46:14 AM PDT
Norwenna says:
Do you (or does anyone) have a feel for how well the fire hd charger area will stand up to repeated charging? Did Amazon build it to seem sturdier than it was on the original fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 9:57:52 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Norwenna,

I have never had a problem charging my first gen Kindle Fire but I DO understand that many people have. So the first thing I checked when I received the KFHD was the charging port. First, the usb cable supplied with the second gen device is MUCH higher quality than the POS charger/cable combo provided with the first gen KF. It is not prone to deformation and fits the KFHD's microUSB port easily and tightly. In short, I don't think that the overheating or the "loosening" of the port due to trying to fit the cable into the port will occur.

Second, as you may know, the microUSB port has been moved to the long side of the second generation KF's. Mine seems quite secure and unlikely to "loosen." But as I said, I was one of the lucky people who didn't have the problem on the first gen KF. I think, though, that given the large number of replacements that Amazon has had to send out for the first generation, it would have been idiotic NOT to have improved the port.

The bottom line is that I've been monitoring the Kindle Help Forum, the Kindle Forum and various reviews since the KFHD came out and I've yet to see anyone report a problem with a bad charging port. That's not definitive but I'm satisfied at least at the moment that Amazon fixed the problem.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 10:02:56 AM PDT
Norwenna says:
Thanks, jsh1120. I, too, thought that Amazon would be smart enough to fix the problem, and I am waiting a bit to see if customers complain. But it just occurred to me that those who were aware of it would pay close attention to their new fires, as you did.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 10:39:44 AM PDT
Arieswoman says:
I got my new Kindle Fire HD just yesterday. It is amazing compared to the Kindle Fire 1. Loving it so far and been downloading photos from the cloud. Games and apps are so brilliant in color.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 1:02:25 PM PDT
Does anyone know if I have the charger from my KF1 will that work on the new KF HD or will I need to buy a new charger?

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 1:40:18 PM PDT
T. Haley says:
The KF1 charger works for KF HD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 3:23:38 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Dear OP,

On behalf of the Kindle Forum, I would like to express my regrets that not a single response in this growing thread actually addresses your question (which asks for a comparison between the original 2011 Fire and the new, 2012 non-HD Fire.

I wish I could help, but I can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 4:08:58 PM PDT
Thanks, R.D. No big deal. This happens on a regular basis around here. LOL
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
frustrating language barriers w/support personnel 74 45 seconds ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 6051 3 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 2898 5 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 5688 6 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014 36 8 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite sideloaded books 10 10 minutes ago
Calibre, azw3, Metadata and Kindle 1 15 minutes ago
My kindle fire now wants an internet connection to play angry birds 76 16 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 3342 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  116
Initial post:  Sep 15, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions