Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle vs ibooks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 8:37:07 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
My 2nd Kindle has failed (faulty) and don't want to buy a 3rd. Amazon has a "policy" about sending me a new one for free and really do I want to buy a 3rd when the other two failed? So now I am thinking of switching over to ibooks on my new mini ipad which arrives in a few weeks. Given Amazon's "policy" and the customer experience seems like my money is better spent elsewhere. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:40:01 AM PST
Apple wouldn't have given you a new iPad if the first one failed. Was the Kindle faulty, or did the screen break? iBooks can only be read on an iDevice, not on the PC, or anything else. Do you really want to be stuck in an iTunes world?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:43:23 AM PST
Mary Jane says:
I'm sorry that you were having trouble with your Kindles. It is up to you whether you want to try again. The good news is that if you get an iPad, you can download the Kindle app and still have access to your Kindle books. In fact, you don't even have to use iBooks unless you wanted to. You can still use Amazon for your book purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:44:01 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
actually this summer apple replaced my Macbook air when it failed (after 3 other problems) so over all I have been pleased with apples cust serv (not always but the last few years have been great) Kindle froze (2nd kindle with same problem..I bought a new one but really how many do you want to buy) As I will have a mini ipad that would be comparable and no really don't want to be in a itunes world but amazon may be forcing my hand.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:44:35 AM PST
iBooks can only be read on iDevices, that is correct, but it's also an iPad so you can get Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc apps and read pretty much any other ebook you've already purchased. It's not like you'd have to buy all the Kindle books you already bought in iBooks format.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:44:59 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
To me the mini ipad is not comparable to my eInk Kindle. I don't want to read from a back lit screen.
My thought is you should do whatever suits you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:45:32 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:47:24 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
How far out of the warranty is your device?
Do you think Apple is going to replace a device that is no longer under warranty?

How are the devices failing? Could it be from how you are handling them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:49:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:50:26 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
It is my understanding that if your warranty coverage is current, Amazon replaces a failing device. I don't know from experience as none of my 7 Kindle devices (oldest going on 3 years old now) has ever failed.

If your warranty coverage is NOT current, I can't see why you would expect Amazon to replace it for free. In addition (not knowing which devices you've had and whether they were all the same model), it is strictly up to you to decide if the devices (whichever they may be) are worth it to try again.

Choice - wonderful concept.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:51:02 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:53:08 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
You are a small fish in a big sea. Do you really think Amazon cares that much about your purchases?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:53:13 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
You have been very lucky or maybe I have not been so lucky. Point being my experience has not been very good and it's time to rethink my choice of Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:54:33 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
True, but if they hear from enough of us...............

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:56:12 AM PST
Mary Jane says:
It seems to me that the Amazon "policy" of replacing a defective item with a brand new one is quite generous. What you are not happy about is the fact that those items failed to begin with. I have owned many kindles and I have never had one fail on me so I can't complain. However, if you would feel more comfortable with an Apple product, then by all means, get one. I was just pointing out that you could still use Amazon to purchase books, along with other vendors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:56:57 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Agree that it is that time ... for you.

My issue with your thread is the absolutist type phrasing which does NOT indicate that approach. Rather, it says "Given Amazon's "policy" and the customer experience seems like my money is better spent elsewhere."

You haven't given us enough information (specifically regarding the warranty-status point) to either explain what "Amazon's policy" is or help you get the answers that may actually be a solution for your Amazon/Kindle issues.

Hope you find what you need regardless of provider or product.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:59:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 9:06:47 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
It is unlikely that "they" will be reading this forum.

Customer feedback options exist where you can report your concerns directly to Amazon. In addition, EVERY customer support experience is followed up by Amazon with an email to the customer. Use those emails to (again) explain your issues to Amazon.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:04:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 9:07:49 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
A "policy" about sending you a new one for free? What does this mean?

Do you mean your device is out of warranty? Or do you mean that Amazon isn't honoring the warranty?

My guess is you mean the former - that your device is out of warranty. Why do you expect Amazon to send you a new device when your current one is out of warranty?

ETA missing letters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:48:52 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
Both Kindle's lasted about 1.5 years before failing. They Froze basically. So they are out of warranty. It's probably me but I don't know of a product that fails so consistently but maybe I've been unfortunate with Amazon. In any event as I have stated, Apple just replaced products I've purchased when there were documented product failures that have been reported by many customers. I was hoping Amazon would do the same because I don't want to keep purchasing a kindle every 1-2 years. So I will be getting an Ipad mini shortly and will just switch to that format and purchase through ibooks as my experience with Amazon has left me wanting. But from a simple marketing perspective Amazon will spend far more in trying to get me to come back given what I spend in books. The cost of the device itself is peanuts. More the principal than anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:50:19 AM PST
FKV - Italy says:
thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:55:35 AM PST
King Al says:
You've been unfortunate. Many people have had Kindles have lasted for years with no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:57:48 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Two kindles freezing does not make for "fails so consistently".

Amazon sells the Kindles basically for cost. They don't make much from the device itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:01:26 AM PST
King Al says:
And on the other hand, Apple makes well over $100 for each iPad sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:39:01 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
I have one Kindle that's nearly 2 years old. It works perfectly. As does my 15 month old Kindle.

So how long do you expect that 12 month warranty to last? At least 18 months, from what I can tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:07:59 PM PST
FKV - Italy says:
Lucky You!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:18:11 PM PST
It's unfortunate that you've had product failures with your Kindles...but 1 1/2 years old is about par for electronic devices, be they phones, Kindles, iPads..

I haven't seen anyone mention it on this thread, but I think it's important to note that yes, iPads also fail, and there are plenty of stories out there about unhappy Apple customers who've had similar experiences to yours, except with iPads, and B&N customers who've had issues with their Nooks.

No brand is invincible, and no brand honors warantees that have expired. If you don't like it when that happens, you're better off not getting anything.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions