Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

When will COLOR e-ink be ready for prime time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 123 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2012 12:27:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 5:00:17 PM PDT
In this July 2010 interview by Charlie Rose, Bezos said that he has seen color e-ink but it's not ready for prime time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_0W4hIhuA&t=12m32s

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 12:58:50 PM PDT
Probably several years. But my crystal ball is all fogged up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 1:05:32 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I think it will be ready for prime time when it is and not before then because it is not. Hope this helps...

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 7:26:52 PM PDT
The Ectaco JetBook is an ebook reader that uses full-color E Ink which came out earlier this year. According to reviewers, the quality of the color is not very good. Some people say it's good for charts and graphs, but not for photographs. To find out more, you can do a web search; most of the reviewers agree with Mr. Bezos. Also, it's kind of expensive.

There's another technology that might be used for a color display is Mirasol from Qualcomm. It neither backlit nor drains battery juice. The tech is inspired by butterfly wings. They had an ebook reader out not long ago, but they stopped making them and are now licensing their know-how. That looked very promising, but they were beset by manufacturing problems.

One of these technologies, or maybe something else, is going to be practical and reasonaby priced, and when it does you can be sure that Amazon is going to use it.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 7:29:22 PM PDT
Here's the product page: Ectaco JetBook Color eBook Reader

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 7:41:31 PM PDT
OG InfamousR says:
Thank you for the link.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 8:01:51 PM PDT
You may find this article interesting:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528813.700-vivid-eink-makes-ditching-books-a-colourful-choice.html

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:11:14 AM PST
Joe Audette says:
I've been waiting for a color e ink kindle since they first created the kindle. I sure hope they are working on it because I won't buy one until they do. I have an iPad but I rarely read on it because I don't like to read on a back-lit display especially because I work all day long on a computer screen every day I don't want to subject my eyes to that for reading in the evening. So the Kindle Fire is not attractive to me, Paperwhite looks decent but I'm waiting for color and can't believe how long it is taking for that technology to mature. When it does become available it will do for books and magazines what mp3 players did for music. I hope it finally becomes a reality in 2013. That article on newscientist.com sounds promising.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:19:22 AM PST
J. Donahue says:
Do you read that many books that have color illustrations?

If not, get a regular Kindle reader and enjoy reading again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:23:45 AM PST
So you're going to pass on all the books you'd like to read that are only in black and white anyway when you could be reading those on a $69 Kindle, just because the color e-ink reader of your dreams doesn't exist yet and might not ever exist? Okey dokey.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:25:05 AM PST
That's what I was thinking, but was afraid to point out... None of my books has been in "color" since I was about 9.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:26:40 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Most books I read are have black text. There is no need for color in text for most things.

Get a eink Kindle and use it for reading where color doesn't matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:27:52 AM PST
Cookbooks and knitting patterns are the only ones I have bought in color for the last, oh, 60 years or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:30:50 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Any books I want that have a lot of color or pictures, I either buy the paper version or look at in on my tablet or PC.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:37:38 AM PST
Comic books and those silly Japanese anime things would be one potential market... but color tablets like the Fire, iPad, and such provide cheap solutions for those consumers.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if color e-ink ever becomes a mainstream product. You never know, but I doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:39:07 AM PST
On a Tuesday. Definitely Tuesday.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:44:05 AM PST
OG InfamousR says:
Ectaco JetBook Color eBook Reader

There you are... enjoy.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:47:05 AM PST
My sources say February 31st.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:48:27 AM PST
OG InfamousR says:
that's my birthday!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:48:37 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
For that price I can buy a Fire HD and a Paperwhite.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:50:40 AM PST
Wow... even after I sold both of Phillip's kidneys to the Russian mafia, I'd STILL need $450 to buy one of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:56:05 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
But I bet is liver is well preserved, maybe it will fetch a better price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:02:12 PM PST
Both of them? Oh well, I'll just use my extra liver. It does the same thing, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:02:53 PM PST
I haven't had an alcoholic beverage in over 20 years, Miss.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:07:39 PM PST
Joe Audette says:
Those are good points about most books not having color images but that is because printing in color is expensive, I admit black and white is ok for most novels. Color e ink would open a whole new world for publishing. Magazines, graphic novels, comics, and text books all are scenarios that would benefit from color. I read a lot of textbooks, books about design and web design etc all of which would be brought to a new level with color e ink. For now I still will buy and read physical books or get books from the library especially the visual type of books that I mentioned. I just want a single device that is good for all reading scenarios and I believe that will happen. I also want to buy my books from Amazon as I have done for years so I'm not interested in the JetBook, I want a color e ink Kindle.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  123
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions