Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire Second Generation Update Version 7.2.1

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2012 2:28:28 PM PDT
We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire Second Generation. The software update will be delivered automatically via wireless to your Kindle in the coming weeks.

These software updates will include:

*Kindle FreeTime, a tablet experience just for kids allowing parents to set daily screen time limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child.

*A setting so customers can control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device homepage.

*Ability for customers to set the default device language to one of six languages, including English (US), English (UK), German, French, Italian, and Spanish.

We will be delivering this update over wireless connections in the coming weeks. Customers who prefer to receive the update immediately can manually download and install the software update from: http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates

If you have any questions related to this release, please visit the Kindle Help Forum - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_gd

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 3:12:35 PM PDT
Greg D. says:
hey! how about for your loyal Fire first gen customers?!!!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 3:13:16 PM PDT
How about an update to make the keyboard not be so glitchy? I'd love it if I actually got what I typed instead of a symbol or letter from the other side of the keyboard. Using a stylus has not helped. (typing this message from my "real" computer)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 3:14:19 PM PDT
Greg D. says:
i want FreeTime for the TWO 1st gen fires I bought for my kids less than 1 yr ago for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 3:15:44 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
mine came with the update and I haven't had a problem with that

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 3:18:27 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
How do you change the name of the Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 3:22:56 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
go to your Manage Your Kindle page (link on right or under Your Account), then click on manage Your Devices on that page and you'll se an Edit link next to the name of your kindle - click on that and name it whatever suits your fancy

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 3:32:12 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
Where is the Manage Your Kindle page? When i open My Account under Settings, i am only seeing Manage Social Network Account and Manage Email, Contacts, Calendars.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 3:44:13 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Mark, "MYK" is here on the Amazon site, under Your Account.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 4:54:44 PM PDT
George W Jr. says:
what bout the flash player?

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:58:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 6:05:23 PM PDT
Greeting from Oklahoma: Just got my new Fire HD, this is my third kindle. Have a couple of issues: Download music and photo's - why did the system change so that you now need an Android mini-program which doesn't work very well. And, the charging port is no long on the end so you have to leave the marware cover open to charge. I have pets and don't like leave my screen unprotected. One more and I'll shut up. The on off switch is hard to find in the dark - gotta be a better method. Thanks, love my Fire, but . . . .

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:58:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 26, 2012 5:59:49 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:08:53 PM PDT
Bob Burton says:
When will the Kindle Fire be available in Australia????

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:20:27 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Mark:

http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle

This one also works:

http://www.amazon.com/myk

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:24:49 PM PDT
Mrs Pickle says:
Can Kindle Fire be used in Canada

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:30:03 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Norma, I haven't had that problem, and I've used both my Kindle Fire 1st Generation and my Kindle Fire HD quite a bit. I'd suggest you contact Kindle Support, since it may be a problem with your individual unit:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

This update did fix a problem with using a Bluetooth keyboard with the Fire. While that, naturally, an additional expense and not what everybody uses all the time, it works well. It's going to enable me to largely stop using a netbook a home.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:42:17 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
George, the change with Flash is that Adobe has chosen not to support Flash on mobile browsers any more:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html

Unless they change that position, which is unlikely, there probably won't be an update to the Silk browser that includes Flash.

However, some other older browsers do still support it. I use Maxthon (which I sideloaded) on my Kindle Fire HD, and that supports Flash.

Try using the mobile version of YouTube, or getting a YouTube downloader like this one:

FREEdi

If it's for radio, I use this one:

TuneIn Radio

I think we'll see websites quickly convert to a compatible version.

I am not connected with any of these apps except as a user.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:48:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 26, 2012 6:58:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:50:40 PM PDT
There is an update for the 1st Generation Fire also. 6.3.1. It had already installed on my Wife's Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:53:53 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Kevin, while that is a significant update to the Kindle Fire 1st Generation, and one of several that we've had, it was released in May...I think people are looking for new updates.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:56:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 7:10:15 PM PDT
D.L. says:
After the update I still get "reappearing carousel" issue on the Kindle Fire HD. Is there going to be a fix for this soon? It's really annoying! When the Kindle auto syncs all my apps and books keep showing up on the carousal. After you remove them, they continue to show up after another sync. I have seen multiple complaints from other customers on the discussion boards so this is a widespread issue. Please fix this issue then I will write a review for 5-stars! Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 7:03:55 PM PDT
I'm HOPING this 7.2.1 fill fix the every-renewing carousel problem. It's a hugely annoying problem that makes the carousel next to useless as you have to scroll through tons of books you already read.

Personally it is a mystery why anyone would design a UI like the Kindle Fire. The navigation bar is too small and you have to scroll it. The Carousel is a pig that you can't control. At least we can turn off the recommendations now, one less thing to accidentally select.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 7:25:09 PM PDT
No, it doesn't fix the carousel problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 7:26:05 PM PDT
"what bout the flash player?"

I'm sure you've already seen several times that THERE IS NO FLASH PLAYER FOR ANDROID 4.x. Amazon is NEVER going to add it to the new Fire models because Adobe, who owns it, does not allow it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:00:17 PM PDT
john says:
can we get flash player
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
26 1 hour ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
118 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1838 7 seconds ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 8883 19 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 691 27 seconds ago
is there an app for that? 2321 38 seconds ago
why was 11/23/63 downloaded twice 1 44 seconds ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3675 53 seconds ago
Kindle Paperwite - Landscape Mode 30 1 minute ago
Kindle Paper White Won´t Open 16 2 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  419
Total posts:  1104
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 89 customers

Search Customer Discussions