Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 VS The new Nook HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 143 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2013 3:22:26 AM PDT
A Customer says:
<< I'm tired of all the negativity towards B >>

Same here. At $129 + tax, you could buy the nook HD and install SONY reader/Kindle apps/netflix and be done. Hard to beat this one.
One guy even calls it a "surrender move". Whatever, I win!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 10:19:35 AM PDT
Beetlejuice says:
On my ipad, I listen to music, watch Netflix, check sports scores in apps, browse the Internet, play games, and I download and try tons of free apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 10:13:36 AM PDT
You can put ADW Launcher on it and never see the BN skin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 10:07:21 AM PDT
Yep. I just bought one for the family. While I love my Fire HD7, I think they will enjoy the larger screen, and since I got the 32gb model, they will have room for all their apps. My girls will still use their KF2 and Lenovo 7, but it will be nice for them to have the larger Nook, too. (It's gotta be better than that Lenovo). I got it on QVC so have to wait for it to ship. Comes with 2 chargers and a bunch of free kids apps. With tax and shipping, less than $200. That's way cheaper than the Kindle 8.9. Of course, I woudn't even have considered the Nook HD+ with out google play access.

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 10:00:24 AM PDT
Varied Books says:
@Bettlejuice

What you do on your ipad. Ie- reading, use a lot of applications, games, web surfing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 9:55:37 AM PDT
The HD Nook+ now has access to Google and all its apps. The is a recent thing. This does change the ball game and makes the Nook less restricted. That
said one of the first thing I did with mine after the Google Play Update was to load the Kindle Reader App on to the Nook HD+ and now have access, using it, to all my Kindle Books.

The Nook HD+ also has a Micro SD port and there are 2 Vendors who have programmed Android Jelly Bean on to Micro SD cards for between 25 to 40 dollars. One merely insets the SD card into the Nooks SD port, boot into a fully fledged Android Tablet. A tablet which has a very fast processor and a great brilliant screen.

This is a hell of a deal.

The Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch is a nice reader (indoors) a decent Tablet even if limited in its access to much (such as of Google Play)
Amazon at this juncture does not permit access to Google.

Apps, which are not available from Amazon, can be side loaded from Vendors like 'Get Jar' and several other App Librarys. To Do this
one must side load several other Apps. Instruction abound on line as 'how to'.

My Nook HD+ has gone from useless to me to a great device. As of this moment it is the 'best buy' for both Tablet use and reading both Kindle and B&N eBooks and almost any other formatted eBook via the various 'reader apps'. I was at the B&N Outlet this AM and noted signs stating 'lower prices for (some/all) Nooks'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2013 9:26:37 AM PDT
Beetlejuice says:
I have an ipad 2 and I really like it. I know some time in the future it will die. When it does, I don't know that I want to spend the 400 plus to get a new one. It's pretty pricy. Does anyone know which one of these (kindle fire hd 8.9, newest nook hd) compares closer to the ipad?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 9:47:07 AM PDT
kdog says:
I agree with you. My nook hd+ performs quite well; movies, email, web browsing. The picture is sharp also. I'm tired of all the negativity towards B

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 9:02:41 AM PDT
Note that the Nook HD / HD+ are on sale this week. The HD+ is $169 At that price, plus the fact it's now open to google store/aps, it's a no brainer which way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 8:36:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2013 8:37:52 AM PDT
Tim W. says:
"Agree smart move on BN allowing people to use their device as a android tablet only if people don't buy all their books from Amazon."

I don't call it a smart move...it's a surrender move. B&N's app store or movie sales have zero chance of competing against GP. But, anyone buying it as a generic android tablet with access to Google Play has realistic expectations.

However, it's still running a version of Android with a Nook skin. Since Nook as a brand has an unclear future, I wouldn't like that part. I suppose you could always root it...after all, it's not a huge investment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 4:44:13 AM PDT
Varied Books says:
@Mal Nushi
Agree Nook now has the edge. I don't buy books from BN b/c yrs ago they pissed me off b/c thru an update that was forced I could no longer side load Apps on my Nook Tablet. Plus Amazon lets you return kindle books. I buy tons of books & return very few but it's nice to have that option. I don't have a fear of paying for a book that sucks.

On the Nook HD you're right I could install the Amazon App which would still allow me to return sucky Kindle books. BN doesn't win if people install kindle App on their Nook & only buy books from Amazon. I wonder if google play has to give Nook kick backs for Apps bought in their store.

Agree smart move on BN allowing people to use their device as a android tablet only if people don't buy all their books from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2013 8:07:50 PM PDT
Mal Nushi says:
Oh Nook HD won this one. Here is exactly why. You have the full on android experience with live wallpapers and you can move apps around. You have widgets and a better carousel. Plus with the google play store involved with the nook hd that comes preloaded, you can install the amazon kindle application that has all the good books you want and the books you previously bought. Plus the screen is better.

Now kindle has a better sound experience since it has DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS and well i also heard that the playback was also a good start. The kindle does have some issues that need to be fixed and it also has a really customized version of android which means you really cant customize the kindle launcher the way you want, everyones looks the same unless you root the device and put roms or launchers; the kindle has a very secure system so its hard to put roms. But on the other hand, if you dont want a tablet that you can customize your likes then kindle is good.

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 7:04:31 PM PDT
Elleinad says:
Does anyone know how to install third party apps on the kindle fire hd? I am obviously doing something wrong. I downloaded candy crush onto a first generation kindle fire earlier today from 1mobile. I went back to 1mobile and tried to install the exact same app on my daughter's kindle fire hd. I used the same process but it wouldn't work. Both are set to allow third pArty apps. When I try to install it on the hd it says "cannot open file."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:35:50 AM PST
kdog says:
Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:35:52 PM PST
Jane Austen says:
the plus about the Nook is that one can easily download epub books from your library....with Kindles, one has to convert it..which I found too hard:)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:28:41 PM PST
JPZ says:
You can download the Nook reading app from a site like goodereader.com or 1mobile.com and download all your Nook books to the Kindle Fire through that.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:01:37 AM PST
kdog says:
I have a Nook Simple Touch, which I have loved since I got it last Christmas. Now this year I am upgrading to a Kindle Fire HD(I don't know why, I have had a very good experience with B&N so far.) My question is, if anyone knows, can I transfer books from the Nook Simple Touch to my Fire HD(I haven't used my Fire HD, it is a Christmas present from me to me, so I have to wait to open it.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:53:10 AM PST
kdog says:
I looked at both the Nook HD and the Kindle Fire HD. My observation is that the resolution is better on the nook HD. The speakers are much better on the Fire HD. Web browsing slightly better on Fire HD. For stricly reading books and magazines the Nook HD seemed more vibrant.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:47:40 AM PST
kdog says:
Sure, you can get free apps, however, you get some annoying ads along with them. Nook charges a minimal fee for most of their apps, but no ads. Also, the Nook HD comes with a wall charger, Kindle Fire HD doesnt. That makes up the 30.00 difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:47:39 AM PST
Hit the buy button instead of putting it in wishlist is one way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:43:35 AM PST
kdog says:
How do you buy a book by mistake?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:51:43 AM PST
Rodster says:
Actually I was agreeing with both you and Bill which is why I responded as such. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:49:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 8:49:42 AM PST
Sarida says:
Okay...but honestly, I was specifically talking to Bill.

However, thanks for your input!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:01:58 AM PST
Rodster says:
I own multiple Apple iPad's as well as Kindle Fire HD's. The purpose of the HD's is solely around the Amazon ecosystem and Amazon Prime. I personally enjoy what Amazon has to offer and over the past year their library continues to improve for content. That's also the reason why I decided not to give the BN Nook HD+ a try as the previous poster mentioned. I was ver concerned about the available content on offer from BN and Bill Hanson confirmed that.

As you stated it's not so much about hardware specs but how the hardware completes the package with the software. This is where Amazon has it over their competitors and in some ways beats Apple because they don't have a service like Prime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:26:43 AM PST
Sarida says:
I applaud your wisdom in knowing there is more to using the tablet than just knowing what specs it has. People basically have four choices on what they want to be tied to:

Apple
Amazon Android
B&N Android
Google

What I find interesting that after all the research you chose Amazon over Apple with the same amount of money being spent, but I've always said that choice is good for consumers!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions