Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite battery life

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 144 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 8:43:55 PM PDT
unome-all says:
Anyone getting an idea of the battery life on their new PW?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 9:02:46 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
My first full charge isn't lasting very long, but that was the case with my other new Kindles too. Downloading books from the Cloud, indexing, organizing, playing with the light, experimenting with the fonts etc... plus new batteries usually need a few cycles to reach their full potential. Ask again in a few weeks.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 9:09:23 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
I have downloaded about 10 books, read 5-7 hours on it, wifi on and the battery indicator has barely moved.

According to the product page you get 8 weeks of battery life. They figure it out as 30 minutes per day, Wifi off, light setting at 10.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 2:38:24 AM PDT
Brent says:
I've downloaded a lot of books and read for about 3 hours since I charged it yesterday, and my battery is at 40%. I left wireless on. Light was on low while reading. Hopefully it's like what R. D. Clark says and it will get better.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 2:43:45 AM PDT
T. Madsen says:
yes lots of indexing... if you have loaded'er up

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:02:14 AM PDT
Brent
Turn off the wireless when not downloading books. This WILL conserve the battery...

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 5:41:08 AM PDT
unome-all says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:14:07 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
My first charge lasted the full 8 weeks. Just kidding. It's too early for anyone to have accurately gauged the battery life.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:20:54 AM PDT
T. E. Maddox says:
Yeah, I would not judge th ebattery life on the first charging. I downloaded all my books so the wifi was on all night, then it took quite a bit of time (hours and hours) to index those books, which I assume would also use more battery than normal, every day usage.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 9:35:14 AM PDT
I am looking forward to testing the battery life of my PW when it comes. The stated length is based on 30 minutes of reading per day! Yeah, not in my world. It will be interesting to see what it really is. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 9:57:37 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Using their 30 minutes per day and 8 week battery life that comes out to 28 hours of use before recharging is needed.

Just divide how many hours you read a day into 28 and you can get an estimate of how long the battery will last for you.

The 28 hours is still going with the WiFi off and light setting 10.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:41:41 PM PDT
unome-all says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:57:25 PM PDT
Somebody says:
When I got the basic Kindle, the battery went down very fast. After a couple of weeks, the battery started holding a charge for looong time. I've already recharged my PW but expect the battery to behave as the basic model's did.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:13:03 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Those of us with periodicals and blogs need to leave the wi-fi on which is why I don't agonize over battery life. I haven't worn out a battery on any of my Kindles and I plan to plug in the Paperwhite overnight every 2-3 days. I cannot read while I'm asleep, so why not.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:16:16 PM PDT
ink says:
I do not see the battery lasting as long as claimed with wifi and the light on, at 30min a day. BUT I think it has plenty of battery even though I dont think it will reach what Amazon claims. So the battery isn't a big issue with me, it lasts plenty long aside from that. IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 3:17:20 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Not true, I have periodical subscriptions and don't leave my WiFi on. I turn it off and then turn it once a day to download any current issues.

You do not have to leave it on 24/7 unless you absolutely have to have that issue the second it comes out.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 2:26:49 PM PDT
Patrizia says:
I have NOT loaded my books since I always wait to make sure the device is working.. in three days with nightly use (approx 6 hours total for the three days) the battery is dead. this is NOT good and I am hoping its a fluke. My devie has two books on it.. after "playing " it was fully charged on on a nightstand. I have had kindles since Kindle 1 and have NEVER seen a drain that quick

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 3:10:07 PM PDT
Did you leave the Wi-Fi on? And/or, if it is a 3G, the wireless?

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 4:36:30 PM PDT
J. D. says:
I'm glad someone has finally brought this up. My very first impressions are that the battery life will not be anywhere near the other Kindles I have had. I've only downloaded 3 or 4 books. No real indexing going on no WIFI on for any length of time. I've had lots of experience with Kindles (I'm a Kindle addict). I don't think this PW battery will last nearly as long as my other KT or basic or KKB. The only difference is the light really. I'm talking about just reading. I read alot but reading same on each Kindle.
We'll have to see after a few weeks of use, but I predict....not as long a battery life. I hope this is not the case as battery life is important to me. But boy that light is just great.
By the way my PW is WIFI only.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 6:26:26 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Bixillaria: Among the periodicals I subscribe to are New York Times Latest News and Mother Jones. Both of those update themselves multiple times per day which is why I leave the wi-fi on. If I only turned on wi-fi once a day, I would miss many stories in between.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:37:03 AM PDT
unome-all says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:35:07 AM PDT
How could you tell it was at 40%? Just by looking at the little battery indicator in the UR corner, or is there someplace where it tells you the percentage left (as the Fire does?) I'm curious as I've tried to find the actual percentage, especially when I'm charging it and want to make sure it's at 100%. My 2nd charge has lasted much longer than the first one did.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:26:48 AM PDT
unome-all says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 5:42:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 5:45:41 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Mary,

Unless the Times and Mother Jones are designed differently from most periodicals, you wouldn't "miss" any stories; the accumulated updates will download when you activate wifi. Of course, if you want instant notification of updates when they firs appear, you'll have to maintain an internet connection. But that also requires a constant power source or a battery you'll need a backpack to carry.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 5:55:05 AM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  144
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions