Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Technology "challenged" mom questions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 6:47:51 AM PST
My husband bought 3 of these things for my teens. I have no idea what they do. Are these able to get our Netflix movies? If one of the kids downloads a book, or music, .... can the other two also download it for free (if we bought the first)? Or will it be everything times 3? I love turning the pages of my books, so don't think I will ever "borrow" this. ~groan~

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:56:13 AM PST
I assume your husband bought Fires? Color tablets? If so, yes, you should be able to download a Netflix app. There may be limits to how many devices can stream at the same time, though.

If the Fires are all registered to the same account, they will all have access to the same content. If you add devices to the account in the future, they'll have access too.

There are some parental controls you may want to look into. More info about devices and how they work is here - just click the picture of the correct device.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_sn_kin?nodeId=200127470

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:05:06 AM PST
I assume the "things" you're referring are Kindle Fires, not e-ink models. If so, you can stream movies from Netflix or Amazon, listen to music, play games, check email, browse the web and use Facebook, etc., as well as read books and magazines.

I'm an avid reader and, like you, never thought I'd want to give up physical books in favor of ebooks. However, once I got used to them I found that I actually prefer reading ebooks, although I prefer an e-ink Kindle for reading.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:12:19 AM PST
Thank you for the quick responses. Yes, they are the Kindle Fire HD thingie's. So I need to "register" my kindles, and then because they are on my name, they can be downloaded? I don't understand why my husband bought these as they have their computers, telephones, and I-pods. How many devices do kids need? Should we have bought only one and have them share it? (I so want to go back to the days of coloring books .... very easy for us old parents). ~lol~

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:21:54 AM PST
James, ... I am an avid reader and my husband has been after me to get a kindle to replace the hundreds of books I dearly love. He insists that our home could better use my "book space" for other things. I can't imagine not touching the pages, or being able to look at the beautiful illustrations (which I sometimes will print out because they are so lovely). I don't even know if these things print .... I go to that page, and it has a huge amount of information that is just overwhelming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:17:40 AM PST
If you want color illustrations, you need one of the HDs . Not sure about copying a page but the visual depth on the Fire 8.9 is astounding.

You really do sound like so many of us here when we first considered going digital.
If you got a Paperwhite and a 8.9 you would never look back - Amz has a liberal 30 day return policy.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:49:18 AM PST
Nospin, thank you for making me feel better about asking these questions. Did a lot of you really sound as pitiful as I think I am sounding? Amazon is wonderful, I have bought from them for many years. But when those kindles come in, I think I am just going to sit there and look at the box! How intimidating!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:50:28 PM PST
Bert says:
I'm in the same boat, my husband just gave me the 8.9 for Christmas and my question "what am I supposed to do with this?" is just getting a blank stare from him! I check my e-mail and surf the web at my computer at home and at work. I am one of those two places 20 hours a day, what else do I need to be attached to the Web for? I am glad to there is a liberal 30 day return policy, I am going to have to open and it and give it a try if I want my husband to continue speaking to me!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:15:55 PM PST
Return it and get a paperwhite if you read alot! You dont need/want all the extras. Paperwhite is the way to go.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:45:48 PM PST
Try it before you return it. It's great to be able to surf the internet and check email, etc., while you're on the couch, in the bed, or on the go. I do most the stuff I can do on my computer on my iPad because of the larger screen and I don't have to be stuck at my desk.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:06:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:12:28 PM PST
Lisa says:
Spend a day playing around and they will have to pry it put of your cold dead hands to get it away from you. Mom, it's the portability, the long battery life, the apps, game playing, that is fun. If they are all registered on one account, everyone can share the content and keep their personal favorites downloaded to their own device. That goes for amazon prime as well as Netflix. By the way. can your husband please adopt me?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:09:59 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
I thought the same when I got one, but I'm loving the games and the ability to sit and watch TV and browse during commercials

I'm especially looking forward to using it during the Tour de France next summer and reading the play by plays on the BBC and the Cycling Channel to go along with the TV coverage

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:27:09 PM PST
Bert .... well, the presents got wrapped today. So will see how they go over with the teens. If my husband was trying to steer me towards one, it didn't work. I just got 4 BOOKS in from Amazon. I love my books. Do husbands really need to speak to us??? ~lol~

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:32:31 PM PST
Lisa .... my husband said ONE child when we started adopting (I got SIX). One more would not make a difference, you are welcome to join the clan. I would have had 20 children if I could have. Just a warning, he's kind of a cranky old guy. My kids said if he wasn't on top of all they did, they could have gotten away with a lot, as I was sort of dense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:40:03 PM PST
GnomeEd says:
There are thousands of free kindle books. Kindle books take up less space, so you wouldn't need more bookshelves than a library! lol

You might want to try out an eReader. Lots of people don't think they'd like one...until they get one, then they are hooked!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:49:08 PM PST
You know GnomeEd, I hope this doesn't sound silly ... but my husband says the same thing about all of my books that fill shelves in every nook. I am so afraid that we are going to be like some futuristic society though, and I won't ever have the pleasure of touching and feeling my precious books again. *Of course when I watch "hoarders" I panic and weed out the books that I am sure I won't read again and again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:53:15 PM PST
GnomeEd says:
With kindle books, they are forever stored in the cloud for to access any time you want. :)

Some people on here say they have more than 10,000 books! Where would you store all those? lol

Why can't you have a kindle and still some real books?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:01:21 PM PST
Sally Leader says:
Posting my question here as it looks like quick response...I have a kindle fire and purchased a paperwhite for my son, who is in the navy and wanted a e-reader just for reading. I want to share my content and the "deregister" the paperwhite.
With his registration, will he lose all my content? Do I have to keep it registered to my email to allow him to keep the content?

Thanks for help! I haven't given him the paperwhite yet...Christmas gift...but I would like to know if I can "give" him my books and then let him reregister so he can purchase his own content.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:08:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 8:11:23 PM PST
Keep your favorites in hard copy.
I still add favorite authors to my hard copy library.
The rest are ebooks.
My husband is very happy. : )
We looked around before I got my Kindle and could not figure out where another book case would possibly fit.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:27:33 PM PST
Lisa says:
Certainly makes moving a lot easier.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions