Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Help savings descriptions of books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 7:03:23 AM PST
I buy a book and store it for reading at a later date. But then, I have to visit the Kindle store to read the description to figure out if that is the type & length of book I feel like reading on a given day. Any suggestions on how to store the descriptions &/or page count? I read across multiple kindles which does not help. My preference would be to store the info on my computer.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:13:58 AM PST
I dont know that there is an easy way - I wish there was!! We have a lot of books that my daughters and I share. I would love for a brief description to be available offline somehow attached to the book - many times I just open the book, see how many locations there are and put it back and choose another.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:18:55 AM PST
Thanks Laura B. I tried screen saving to file and also thought about cut and pasting the info to a spreadsheet. I suppose I could also save the page as a favorite but none of those ideas seem very practical.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:43:14 AM PST
I've thought of many different things - but none that would actually work!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:46:11 AM PST
I use Calibre (a free program) to download and save book descriptions. It also allows me to add my own tags and comments. I can have custom columns (to specify if bought from Amazon or where, etc). It is very customizable and can be confusing for that reason. I suggest start simple and then add features as you get used to the program.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:50:16 AM PST
I tried Calibre once a long time ago - I think my mistake was I had too many books and tried to do too much at once. I may try again, but start off smaller.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:58:32 AM PST
Don't forget to view all the videos on the Calibre website to show you how to do anything and read the help file (again on the Calibre website). You will also find on the website a link to the forum for Calibre to get your questions answered.

Lots of help when you know where to look for it, which I admit is not always that easy to find.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:05:51 AM PST
MommaCat says:
You can load your books to Shelfari as well. (Owned by Amazon). It will transfer your books directly from Amazon and is very easy to use. You can view them on a bookshelf and looks great.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 4:07:56 PM PST
Thanks so much Vickie. That program seems ideal for what I want. I am now downloading the books and entering them in the Calibre library. PERFECT! ... ha ha, so far.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:14:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 4:14:45 PM PST
M. says:
Calibre can also make up a catalog of your books in mobi format that you can load onto your kindle, depending on what info you choose to include it can have things like series info and descriptions. I use that feature so I don't have to connect to wifi to see a descriptions/synopsis for each book.

The option is a subset of the 'convert books' selection just click the little arrow and then choose 'create a catalog of the books in your library' you can also choose which books to include just highlight/select the books you want first. I usually do catalogs by genre so it's easier to browse.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 4:25:14 PM PST
Thanks for this idea too! I never realized that this even existed. Is there an easy way to download existing books here or do you have to do it one book at a time? The book shelf does look great. Thanks again MommaCat ;-).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 4:39:37 PM PST
Use the import your Amazon purchases feature and all your books will import into Shelfari

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:19:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:20:18 AM PST
This sounds perfect!! I am going to have to try again, on a smaller scale to start so I dont get overwhelmed all at once.

I do use Shelfari, and I love the site - but I was looking for something that would help while I am offline:)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
4 1 day ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 21 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 21 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 480 57 seconds ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7322 1 minute ago
Kindle still not downloading....send to Kindle 4 1 minute ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 3426 4 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 1106 7 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 8882 9 minutes ago
can a prime member borrow books on their ipad kindle app? 901 9 minutes ago
Fire TV installation 2 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions