Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can I get rif of the "Customers Also Bought" suggestions on FireHD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 1:17:50 PM PDT
Maryberry says:
At the bottom of my screen, I get a bar of "customers also bought" suggestions.

I paid the $15 to opt out of ads, but these still show up. Can I get them to go away?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 1:23:55 PM PDT
Mary Jane says:
I don't believe that those are ads. It is a feature.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 1:25:25 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Nope, that is a new feature. Those are not ads and no way to opt out of them.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 1:27:08 PM PDT
Maryberry says:
Hmmm..... well, Its a feature I don't care for. :/ Anyone know if I can replace it with something (like the "favorites" that were on the old Fires)?

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 1:48:25 PM PDT
Recommending other products to you based on your own purchases is a form of advertising, but in terms of whether or not they can be removed, then yes, it's a built-in feature that apparently is not removable from the device. :)

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 1:55:53 PM PDT
I can hear the yelling now. Imagine the bodice rippers being recommended on Mom's Fire. Now imagine the kiddies seeing the covers.

Can you hear it? I can.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 1:57:35 PM PDT
Yes..........:D :D :D

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 1:59:44 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
i'm guessing that freetime will resolve that problem... at least i hope so!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 2:29:51 PM PDT
I don't have my Fire yet but I agree with you --- I don't want them either. I would certainly call them "ads", and we should be able to make them go away.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 6:27:05 PM PDT
I bought this because my 2 year old son loves playing with my mother's kindle. The customers also bought "ads", which you can't unsubscribe from, turn what was a toddler friendly device into a nightmare. I will be returning this.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 6:37:42 PM PDT
You can opt out of the ads for $15, unless you mean the recommendations. Those are permanent at this time.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 6:48:14 PM PDT
The customer recommendations are controlled by the master item showing on the carousel. It isn't always books.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:05:24 PM PDT
Aren't the customer recommendations controled by what has already been purchased by you?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 7:07:06 PM PDT
Not the ones we're talking about.

The customer recommendations on the Fire HD do not show if the device is in landscape mode.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:10:32 PM PDT
SoulSong says:
from a 'magic 8 ball' given to me years ago by CDW: "It's not a bug - it's a feature!" LOL

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:55:28 PM PDT
Eeks I was afraid that was a new feature that I'll have to adjust to.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:35:50 PM PDT
This will go one of two ways... people will either gripe and complain to no end, forcing Amazon to push an update at some point in the future that replaces the "feature," or it will be no big deal. I don't see anything wrong with it personally, but the anti-ad crowd will probably thrash and cry like they are two years old again. I remember when the first kindle came out and people couldn't remove items from the carousel. It was the same threads over and over and over again for weeks complaining about it.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:46:06 PM PDT
Kris K says:
I agree- the recommendations are distracting and obnoxious. If you use the fire in landscape mode you don't see them. But lets all thrash and cry and get it fixed!

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 9:30:03 PM PDT
I don't hate this feature, but i would prefer to be able to hide it. kind of like the favorites are right now. Sometimes I like to try out new authors and this feature makes that easier but i would prefer to be able to pull it up when I'm ready to search.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 5:45:05 AM PDT
Im returning due to this. If I pay 15 to remove ads they should all go away.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 5:49:47 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
When I open my Kindle App for Android I get a banner across the bottom that shows "Best Sellers" -- so of course it is showing 50 shades of gray (eye rollage here). I'm sure many are upset about that too.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 5:51:11 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Am I the only person who sees the recommendations on Amazon pages when I'm on the computer?

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:15:04 AM PDT
No, Pat, you're not.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 6:16:49 AM PDT
Just Theo says:
and Tuxgirl, they said that opting out of ads wouldn't make the ads kid friendly. They didn't restrict the ad content. Maybe someday they will update that but as of now it doesn't affect them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 6:55:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 6:56:42 AM PDT
There isn't anything "mature" about the cover of that book. A little kid wouldn't even look at it, it's just a picture of a man's shirt and a tie.

Really, you have some control over what shows up by what you have as the "top" book on the carousel. If a web page is showing, you will see what is "trending" online. If you have a romance book showing on top, you'll see other books of that genre. If a game app is showing, you see more game app icons.

You can put books on your Favorites, and remove them from the carousel, which would help control what shows up on the "Customers Also Bought" area. Keeping the Fire in landscape mode blocks them completely.

As far as "ads" go, I only see the ads on the sleep mode picture, or if I actually select "Offers" from the scroll. They are seriously no big deal. I can't see spending $15 just to change the sleep mode pictures.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Blocking explicit songs on Prime Music 0 2 minutes ago
Organizing Books on Kindle Fire 272 3 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 1892 3 minutes ago
fire tv stick 7 4 minutes ago
move kindle info to new kindle fire 0 6 minutes ago
New Kindle Fire HD keeps shutting off 329 8 minutes ago
Gear icon for Settings has disappeared 2 14 minutes ago
War Master's Gate 1 14 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 7533 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions