Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD Charging

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 11:44:18 PM PST
I'm considering purchasing the Kindle Fire HD, but I'm concerned about all of the negative reviews having to do with charging the device with the included cable. If I understand correctly, the device comes with a USB cable that can be used to charge it through a computer with a USB port. Will it also work if plugged into a cell phone charger that has a "wall plug" with a USB port? Thanks for any info!

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 11:55:04 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
yes it will - slowest speed is for the plug into computer method, followed by wall plug followed by the charger they recomment (it's really fast)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 4:55:55 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
As CBR notes, a wide variety of wall chargers will work for the KFHD. Unfortunately, Amazon has done a terrible job of explaining the options. And consumer confusion has only added to the mess. Virtually any wall charger rated at 5V/1.8Amps or more will charge the KFHD just as quickly as the Amazon "FastCharger." Many recent cell phone chargers meet this standard; others will charge the KFHD more slowly (but typically faster than using a PC.) It is sometimes a challenge to determine the precise specs for various wall chargers but the one below (and others like it) does a great job. And in the case below you can charge more than one device at a time (though more slowly.)

PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, Amazon Kindle, Kindle DX, Kindle Fire / Noble Nook Color / HTC Flyer / Samsung Galaxy Tab Series (USB Cable not included) - White

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:35:29 AM PST
Thanks for the info! :-)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:01:31 AM PST
Most of my phone chargers work on 110 or 240 50-60 Htz so they work around the world. However most are much less than 1.8 amps. Rated more like ,8 mmamps
I think they will work but slower. Can anyone confirm that

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:17:33 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Del,

Yes, that is true.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:08:47 AM PST
Barbara says:
Is there a pilot light to show if it's charging? I can't find one - and nothing seems to work for me. I also have the white charger adapter that came with the Kindle Readers - I tried that and no light came on either.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:11:46 PM PST
J. Jacob says:
The Kindle Fire HD is a very disappointing product and I have returned it the day after I bought it.
The usb charger works intermittently and sometimes not at all. You will need to purchase a separate charger adapter. People also need to pay $30 to remove the annoying lockscreen ads, pay for a camera app to actually utilize the camera, and users are riddled with advertisements. I'm going back to my original kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:05:54 PM PST
There is no external charging light on the Fire HD. If the Fire is on, the battery icon will be green while charging and will "fill up" while charging. A charger from an older Kindle Model will work, but it will charge more slowing than with the PowerFast wall charger specifically designed for the new Fires.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:10:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 11:11:01 PM PST
It's actually $15 to unsubscribe a Fire from the special offers, and with the latest update for the HD, a camera function was added to the photo tab.

Also, users are not "riddled" with advertisements. There is only the one special offer/ad on the lock screen and that's it. My usb cable works perfectly fine for charging; it may be the port on your computer that's functioning intermittently that's causing you the problem. I use the wall charger from my old fire, but a cell phone charger with a compatible micro USB plug will also work.

I love my Kindle Fire HD, and use it almost every day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:29:44 AM PST
Bella Tinks says:
As per customer service no the white wall charger will NOT charge the fire hd. It will intermittently start stop start stop, will not charge slower but in fact will not charge at all.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:42:21 AM PST
Mary E. says:
I just purchased the powerfast wall charger and it would not charge my KFHD. I tried to reboot and that didn't work. Plugged in my Galaxy charger and its charging. Thank you for these discussions!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:05:47 AM PST
I agree
it works very well

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:31:12 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:45:46 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
The wall charger for the Kindle e-readers will charge the KFHD, just more slowly than a stronger charger.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:04:21 AM PST
ravager814 says:
"As per customer service no the white wall charger will NOT charge the fire hd. It will intermittently start stop start stop, will not charge slower but in fact will not charge at all."

Not true at all. I use the charger that came with my second gen Kindle to charge the KF HD. It is an overnight charge, but it is faster than the computer, and more efficient.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:06:28 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
It is possible that it will charge the device only when asleep or off (as sometimes USB port does - they are both 500mA sources, right?). There was one recent report of overheating e-ink Kindle supply when pressed into duty of charging Fire, but I suppose either it or Fire charging circuitry was defective.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:00 AM PST
ravager814 says:
It is possible that happened. I remember when the old step down transformers we used in Germany would blow fuses if we plugged in something that drew a lot of current, like a vacuum cleaner. But I think the electronics in both the charger and the charging circuitry of the Fire is a tad more sophisticated. : )

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:41:35 AM PST
johnnyvee says:
I just got my fire hd . I charged mine overnight with a cheap basic cell phone charger...the type with the thin male connector. I plugged it into the right side port. was also able to use that port with sub computer connector for transferring music and pics to the internal device memory. the battery icon does fill up green as its being charged.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:05:12 AM PST
Bella Tinks says:
From experience ours would not charge at all... Not slower... Not at all

This prompted a call to customer service where I was explicitly asked by the customer service rep what color kindle charger was I using. I explained I was using the white wall charger that came with my kindle keyboard and was told specifically that "no, the white kindle wall charger will not charge the kindle fire hd"

From my personal experience AND directly out of their representatives mouths this is the information given.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:09:05 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
What can I tell you. I've tested that particular combination and it works.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:20:56 AM PST
Bella Tinks says:
Thank you for this post. Went to check my sons fire and sure enough found the camera. Excellent update for him!

He's been chronicling his journey through orthodontics before and after each visit and was mildly disappointed he couldn't use the fire for this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:23:01 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Well, that is one use Fire camera *is* good for :o)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:15:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:15:12 PM PST
Lisa says:
The charger plug is ten bucks when purchased with the kindle. Yeah it should have come with it, but it didn't. I bought it. Paid 20 because I got it later, but still worth it for a 4 hour charge. It's great for my iPhone too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:44:27 AM PST
JC says:
Bella I am not too good with IT things but have just bought the Fire as a gift for my elderly mum! I charged it up with the white charger for my own Kindle Keyboard. It takes a while but it worked and if you check the settings (think it was device) it shows the % charged.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions