Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to remove kindle browser?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 178 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2011 1:59:36 AM PDT
TulipGirl says:
I don't want my child's kindle to have unrestricted web access. How can I disable/remove the web browser capabilities?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 3:14:31 AM PDT
Joanna says:
I don't think you can. I wouldn't be too worried though as the web browser is clunky, grayscale and won't play video so the kid probably won't get that far

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 7:54:02 AM PDT
Gpamelac says:
You dont have parental controls with a kindle so you canot control

Many people give thier k2 cause the k2 doesnt have WIFI Capabilties.

You make rules and make conseq for breaking the rules
and enforce the rules.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 8:07:08 AM PDT
A. Sisk says:
I don't think there's anything my kids can get to on their K3s that I can't get to on my K2.

As said, it so rudimentary, I can't imagine there is really anything they can get to that you should be worried about. And, to be honest, I don't think either of my kids even realize they CAN go on the internet! Its just something we've never discussed. They simply think of their kindles as a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 8:32:56 AM PDT
Daisy says:
@TulipGirl,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The Kindle's experimental browser is "restricted" by its very nature. You can't access Web sites built using Flash or Web sites built with the technique known as frames. You also can't view videos.

The experimental browser works best with text-based sites such as Wikipedia.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 8:37:28 AM PDT
Daisy says:
@Gpamelac,

A Kindle doesn't need to have Wi-Fi capabilities in order to access the experimental browser. 3G Kindles can access the browser. I've done this with my DX and with my Wi-Fi/3G KSO when I was not near a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 10:20:19 PM PDT
TulipGirl says:
We have some pretty good family guidelines in place for internet use -- and it was my son who pointed out to me that he could access the internet.

This won't work for everyone, but this is what we're doing (for now, until Amazon improves the product). At home, our wireless is password protected and there are no unprotected wireless accounts in our neighborhood. (His kindle isn't 3g). I've disconnected him from our home wireless. I'll either reconnect it to download more books or transfer them from my computer.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 7:12:00 AM PDT
"until amazon improves the product"--
many peope would disagree with the idea that the Kindle needs to be "improved" in this way.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 10:04:04 AM PDT
M. Francis says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
All Kindles can access the internet if they have 3G AND are registered to an Amazon account. K1, K2 and DX do not have wi-fi, so if the device is not registered to an account, it can't go on-line.

All K3s have wi-fi. As long as there is a wi-fi hot spot, they can go on-line, registered or not.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 11:32:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 21, 2011 11:33:35 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 11:33:45 AM PDT
M. Francis says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
You can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 5:29:03 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2012 5:29:58 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 5:55:25 AM PST
M. Campbell says:
Most wi-fi routers have an access list that if enabled only allows devices whose mac address is in the list to connect. If you don't want a particular Kindle to access the internet, enable this feature and don't add that Kindle's mac address. This will also disable access to the Kindle store with that Kindle. It will still be able to connect to public wi-fi nodes,

As others here have pointed out, the experimental browser is not able to viwe video, and in general is not a lot of use for general web surfing. I would be more concerned about the child making purchases or downloading inappropriate content from the Kindle store.

On that subject, the childs Kindle could be registered to a separate account with no credit/debit card associated. I could see Amazon adding parental controls that could only be enabled/disabled via a password. That would make sense to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 3:31:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2012 3:32:34 PM PST
@W. Holt

increasing parental controls only adds to the product, it does not take away from the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 3:43:41 PM PST
Bruce Boyle says:
(HELP FORUM PRO)    (KINDLE FORUM PRO)
Chris - just because that is your opinion doesn't make it everyone's opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 7:57:55 PM PST
Umm. Just because you can't access video on the thing doesn't mean that it's harmless. You can still get still photos of any kind of sexual act you could imagine. Many for free. If you think telling your kids to not look at it is enough, I would suggest leaving a few Hustlers and bondage mags around and ask your kids not to look.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 5:14:10 AM PST
Sam Clemens says:
Laurence...you are absolutely right. Anyone with an ounce of cpu savviness can pull up anything they want...I'm sure in chrystal-clear grayscale. The problem with posts like the ones on this page is that they are written by parents, mostly moms, who don't know how to operate the internet as well as their kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 5:18:24 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Then I suggest you hide your kids under a rock. If they really want something they will get it. All you can do is raise your kids right and hope for the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 5:44:58 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 5, 2012 5:45:13 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 12:12:02 PM PDT
T. Atkins says:
Amazon needs to address this problem. As a parent of 4, i can tell you for certain that kids will misuse the internet. You can trust them and teach them all you like, but the fact remains, at some point, they will do what they want if they think they wont get caught. If you think your little angel won't, you are kidding yourself.

There needs to be a parental lock for the browser or the option to disable it completely (and password lock that).

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 12:18:04 PM PDT
To make the Kindle safe for children, I propose that all its internal workings be replaced with sand. This will ensure that our precious little darlings never encounter any sexual content or ideas.

It takes a village!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:21:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 16, 2012 12:37:59 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:22:48 PM PDT
Like that is going to help. Just google "Naughty Sand Sculpture"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:24:46 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I hear that locking children in the closet until the 18 helps protect them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:25:07 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Not from work!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Personal Documents Features
31 11 minutes ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for PC Update 1.10.8
0 26 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
453 51 minutes ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update Version 5.4.3
142 7 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Seeing "Invalid Item" When Using Kindle for Android?
55 6 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FB&C Wed-Fri Apr 16-18/2014 - FREE Books & Chat 175 2 minutes ago
swagbucks thread 9892 4 minutes ago
RAoK 76 - Spring has Sprung 4828 6 minutes ago
April 2014 Informal Poll - What are you reading? 250 8 minutes ago
kindle fire hdx volume on movies really low 11 12 minutes ago
Transferring notes/highlights on personal documents? 103 14 minutes ago
ARRAY(0x9e37f570)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  178
Initial post:  Aug 13, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions