Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire for kids

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 12:07:41 AM PST
I have a few questions.
1) I have 3 7-year old children, all with different interests but one thing is similar. They would love a pad. I am thinking of the kindle fire hd 16 GB and getting one for each of them. And the only reason is they are very reasonably priced (cheaper than a Nintendo DS). Are they user friendly? Are the parental controls on it legit?

2) We travel a lot. If we were to buy movies, would they be able to watch them at the same time. This is to say there would be one account made. Does this make any sense?

3) If I wanted to download movies onto the kindle from my PC, is there away for me to shrink the DVD into a smaller file that I could transfer into the kindle via my PC? That way, I don't take up too much space on the kindle.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:30:50 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
1) yes they are fairly easy to use and the parental controls work ok, they are fairly new addition.

2) yes movies that you purchased can be watched at the same time. Streaming Prime videos are limited to 2 devices at a time.

3) Yes, there are programs you can use to rip DVDs. I have a bunch that are only 300-700mb in size that I ripped for my cell phone that work fine on my tablet. Just keep in mind you will lose picture quality doing this.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 4:30:18 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:08:40 AM PST
@ Bixillaria
Thank-you for your helpful post.

@Patrick
Yes, nothing replaces the way books were meant to be read. Fortunately, my kids are avid readers and I am thinking a kindle might be a good way to reduce the amount stuff we're are traveling with. We are on the road and on a planes often. I am thinking it might consolidate books, gaming, and movies on one device. I had been cruizing the apps and it appears there are some really neat reading and math apps as well.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:13:23 AM PST
My son is 9, and does enjoy playing with my Fire, but I have to monitor it and/or keep the Kids Place on; I don't need him having full internet access.

Honestly? For 7-year-olds? Get them the DSs and wait on the pads. Just my mom-opinion.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:34:04 AM PST
Folina,
Thank-you for your opinion. Not a big DS fan. They rot the brain. And such an expensive device and expensive games to purchase not to mention trying to avoid slurping them up in the vacuum.

It appears with new parental controls a lot can be done to control how much "playing" is done on these things and versatility of the kindle is broad (learning, reading) and entertainment for road trips.
Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions