Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why are kindle books so expensive?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 683 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2013 7:43:36 AM PST
Lou Fisher says:
I can't understand the high prices on many of the kindle books, even long after publication, even higher than the paperback versions that arrive. No printing, no stocking, no shipping . . . The prices should reflect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:45:42 AM PST
~nospin says:
What a novel observation!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:47:05 AM PST
Anne Shirley says:
Oooh, a new, never-before expressed viewpoint.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:49:13 AM PST
Dittie says:
But, but, but, Lou gets to decide what should and shouldn't be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:49:22 AM PST
Lou Fisher says:
Well, new to the kindle, I haven't been in on any previous analyses.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:49:45 AM PST
Please post 3 books that are priced higher for the Kindle version than the same new paperback. New, not used.

Then Google "Agency Model."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:52:36 AM PST
Lou Fisher says:
Well 1Q84 is the first that comes to mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:53:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 7:54:51 AM PST
Did you notice this:

Sold by: Random House Digital, Inc.
This price was set by the publisher
The paperback that is lower is in pre-order. You can't compare that one as it isn't for sale yet.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:55:15 AM PST
Dittie says:
The paperback isn't out yet. You can't compare a digital version available now with a paperback that isn't available.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:58:49 AM PST
Anne Shirley says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:03:10 AM PST
Lou, the problem is that at least once a day someone starts a thread on this exact topic, and it's been going on for years, literally! Sure, every one would agree that it would be nice if they cost less, but many people don't understand that the publishers set the price, not amazon. Or they try to compare apples to oranges. Or they don't understand economics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:03:26 AM PST
Dittie says:
True, but then it's not a valid comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:08:46 AM PST
Lou, as a newbie, you probably do not know about the website EreaderIQ. Go there and register to be notified when there is a price drop for books that you are interested in. And check out all their freebies.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 8:15:59 AM PST
saraf says:
Hmmmmm, don't know. Never thought of it before. Or seen it posted here either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:26:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 8:43:21 AM PST
Mike says:
Gotta tell you, Lou that yes, some of the books are "too expensive" for me. Know what I do, I don't purchase it. It's really so simple: there are so many free and more reasonably priced (IMNSHO) out there, that I am never forced to pay more than I want. Another approach is to put it on my wish-list. For example, I received Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman as a Christmas gift, and it didn't cost me anything. (Great book, by the way). No, not an astronomical price, but more than I wanted to pay.

P.S. And, the Kindle edition costs more than the paperback.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:33:25 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
*sigh*

There really have been zillions of threads on this topic in the last year alone. Basically, ebooks are being sold for what the seller thinks they can get for them. Just like any other commodity.

The adorable little BWM convertible I'd love to have uses much less material than a BMW sedan, but still costs more.

Buy what makes sense to you and for you. With ebooks, I can carry hundreds of books with me. My husband and I can read the same book at the same time, on whichever device we happen to have handy. I can easily share books with my sister, even though she lives 1500 miles away.

eReaderIQ.com is a terrific resource. They list hundreds of free an inexpensive books, and will let you track books for price reductions. They email you when a book on your watchlist drops below your price threshold.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:37:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 8:39:47 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
Expensive is a relative term. I am a fairly quick reader but most books that I read take at a minimum 3-4 hours of reading time. Some significantly more. So even an average of say $10 a book is at most better than what I pay to go to a movie theatre to see a movie as far as dollars per hour entertainment. And I am enough of a books v. movies snob to think that reading is a better use of my time than watching a movie. Also...I don't spend anywhere near $10 for the average book I read because there are so many great books out there to read I can pick and choose and wait for prices to come down even if it is just a temporary price drop. Also the digital library is my friend and those are at no additional cost to me. (I won't say free since being a taxpayer I am sure that my taxes are buying e-books for the library.) Then there are all of the advantages that Kindle books have over paper books. Don't tell Amazon and/or the publishers but I am constantly amazed at how cheap (Another relative term I know) Kindle books are. I'm afraid that if they really knew there would be a big price increase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 9:14:23 AM PST
~nospin says:
This is a great thread to watch for price drops.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_t_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=160&cdThread=Tx21IOMDHFFQ32I#CustomerDiscussionsNew

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 9:39:06 AM PST
No printing, no stocking, no shipping . . . The prices should reflect.
Why?

Why should prices be anything, but what publishers choose to make them?

If the prices for eBooks are too high for you, then don't purchase them. If enough people feel the way that you do & do not buy any eBooks, then the prices will probably come down.

How many products do you know, where the price to the consumer is based on the cost to produce?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 9:59:23 AM PST
They charge what the market will bear, just like anything else.
The author has to eat too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 10:25:56 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"I can't understand the high prices on many of the kindle books, even long after publication, even higher than the paperback versions that arrive. No printing, no stocking, no shipping . . . The prices should reflect." ~ Lou

Consumers Upset and Confused Over E-Book Pricing
Categories: DBW Insights | Tags: Aptara, e-book pricing, justice department, Workman
April 18, 2012 | Jeremy Greenfield

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012/consumers-upset-and-confused-over-e-book-pricing/

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 10:31:26 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 10:46:43 AM PST
Captain says:
Why can't we control people's opinions? Why does this issue keep coming up? It's almost as if...no that can't be it. Continue suppression. They will assimilate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 10:48:42 AM PST
Lou Fisher says:
All right, I give up. Didn't know I was beating a dead horse. Actually, I'm happy to pay what's called for re the kindle books. Love it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 10:54:25 AM PST
Glad you love eBooks - they really are nice. =)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  683
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions