Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does Kindle Fire work in China?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 11:58:06 AM PST
Alan says:
can you tell me that? Is it possible to watch movie/video/books by kindle fire in China

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 11:59:10 AM PST
U.S. only
U.S. only
U.S. only
U.S. only
U.S. only
U.S. only

What part of this is hard to understand?

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 11:59:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 12:00:11 PM PST
If you buy the Fire in the US and load it up with movies and books, sure, you can watch or read those in China.

But you can't buy any new ones there. Or get new apps. Or do anything else. It's a brick outside the US.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:32:13 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
and China is an area where kindles and content are not available legally unless you're in Hong Kong or Taiwan

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:35:02 AM PST
I'm in Taiwan, I can buy movies with my US credit Card. Why can't I download them?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 8:36:29 AM PST
☼Becky☼ says:
Because you are not in the U.S.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:48:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 9:00:26 AM PST
Mike says:
<Or do anything else. It's a brick outside the US. >
No, you can play games which are pre-loaded on the fire and surf the internet. But you will not be able to go to some sites like FaceBook or YouTube as China blocks them as I found out the hard way. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 8:53:25 AM PST
From Amazon's website:

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to ship Kindles or offer Kindle content in China.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 3:11:03 AM PST
K. Hensley says:
Yet I can download books and such on my Kindle application on my laptop . . . in China. What's the difference?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 3:35:41 AM PST
C. Scilley says:
You will not be able to download apps, music, or videos from the Amazon sight or stream music and videos. But you probably could use some sort of cloud service to save some of that to and download everything but video from that. I am sure there are people who find ways around those restrictions.
Carolyn

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 3:37:11 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
China as far as amazon is concerned does not include Taiwan or Hong kong where kindle content and kindles are OK

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 4:00:50 AM PST
And here's the supreme irony: my kindle (I'm in Australia) was shipped from China!

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 5:31:55 AM PST
I have two of them here in Shanghai and I am finding out that they are pretty useless certainly as far as Prime is concerned. Apps are installing fine so far and I haven't tried the Kindle lenders library. My plan is to get my books from my public library in the US over the web and rip my movies to MP4 format - lets face it - they are available much cheaper here anyway.

What is bothering me more than anything is that everything is much harder to accomplish than with an Ipad... Not what I expected.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 2:37:35 AM PST
Doc Tari says:
Well i think I will keep my old 3G kindle. i have no problem been able to get NYTimes, WSJ, books, magazine content anywhere, anytime in China via cell network. Or maybe I will have a kindle for news and get the fire for other things. I still don't get why if I buy music, video, books, magazines etc. over regular internet on Amazon or have somebody do it for me in US that I cannot just sync up on amazon site when I am in china. Is us amazon site blocked in china? guess so.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 7:54:43 PM PST
K. Hensley says:
(You will not be able to download apps, music, or videos from the Amazon sight or stream music and videos. But you probably could use some sort of cloud service to save some of that to and download everything but video from that. I am sure there are people who find ways around those restrictions.)

Not necessarily, if you know the right people so I agree with the last sentence.

Posted on May 2, 2012 11:47:31 AM PDT
will Hammer says:
I get it. I can't download anything. But can I pick up wifi and use the internet?

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 11:33:19 PM PDT
will Hammer says:
Ive been here for about 2 months now. It works! I can download apps and use wifi. I cannot use certain services that are only available to other countries (i.e netflix, facebook, youtube etc...) Dont know about amazon movies, but I can still download books.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 11:56:21 PM PDT
Pushka says:
Well, actually you can do everything you need to with the Fire anywhere in the world but you need to do your research on how this all works.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:45:49 AM PST
You do realize Taiwan is a completely separate country so Chinese censorship couldn't possibly apply anyway, not like it could, but doesn't in Hong Kong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:51:27 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
Darragh, do you realize you're responding to a message that was posted a year ago?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:37:01 AM PST
Can you use Skype in Shanghai using your Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2014 9:50:39 AM PST
yujie zhang says:
Hi. I am currently in U.S, and I will start doing business in China. Do you think if the prime free 2 day shipping will still work in China? also the prime free music book and movie, Can I still watch them? Thx.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions