Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle the right fit?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 10:53:43 AM PST
B. Morris says:
Ok, it's the most horrible time of the year. Christmas shopping for my wife. She's the worst person in the world to shop for for Christmas because if I ask what she wants for Christmas she goes "Well you should know". Then I end up getting her something she doesn't like.

Last year we got each other Kindles for Christmas. She loves it. She is an avid reader and downloads tons of books from our local library.

I was thinking of getting her a Kindle Fire HD 8.9. She likes to read or watch TV in bed before going to sleep. I was thinking a tablet that allowed her to surf the internet or play a few games would be a good present. She wouldn't use it to watch movies or shows because we have a big HDTV in the bedroom and she wouldn't use it to read because she has her Kindle. So considering that it would mainly be used for games and internet surfing would a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 be a good choice or should I got with a different tablet perhaps more suited for internet web surfing.

Also does the power cable for charging your Kindle e-reader work with the power cable for the Kindle Fire? I assume they do.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:05:58 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
Yes to your charger question. I would say no to whether or not you should get her the Fire HD, unless she would use it other than in bed before going to sleep. It sounds like she reads or watches TV at that time. She may really like it at other times, like when sitting on the couch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:06:04 AM PST
If she isn't going to use it to read or for Amazon content, I would suggest just getting an Android Tablet so that she will have access to more apps and games through Google Play.

The main use of the Fire is the integration of Amazon content, but if she is not going to use a lot of Amazon content, you might as well get her something with access to more apps and games. I would recommend the Google Nexus. I'm not sure if it comes in sizes larger than 7".

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:08:13 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
The Nexus 7 or 10 would be a good choice. Better Browser and larger app store, plus they get all the latest Android updates since they are Google products.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:11:09 AM PST
Surveyah says:
I would have to agree on an alternative 10" Android tablet that can access Google Play. You can still get Amazon Appstore on it, as well as the Kindle app, but you will have many more options in choosing and using apps

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:21:26 AM PST
MommaCat says:
I agree with the no vote to the Fire. If you want surfing and apps a regular tablet is the way to go. Check on Nexus or Xoom.

But do all her Kindle books come from the library? Would a Amazon gift card make a good stocking stuffer? Maybe she'd like to buy books that the library doesn't have. It could even be a big card...I personally would love a $300 card or whatever amount you were thinking of spending!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:23:52 AM PST
B. Morris says:
Thanks. I'll go with an Android tablet then. Does sound like a better fit for how she will use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:29:43 AM PST
I'm sure your wife is a lovely lady and all, but honestly. Girls? If we say things like, "Well, you should know," and we get crap, it's out own fault.

Give the guys a break and drop some hints, okay? Or accept crappy gifts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:31:03 AM PST
I think I love you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:31:17 AM PST
See? It works. :0)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:35:03 AM PST
Or the guy can just say "Then buy whatever you want your own damn self then. You have no job, your own credit card, an automobile and more free time than I do."

Hey, there might be someone out there stupid enough to try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:37:03 AM PST
(*thinks carefully*) Okay. It's an obtuse enough reference.

My ex-h* was told that I needed "affirmation". He said, "How can I affirm her? She doesn't DO anything!"

* Note the 'ex' portion, there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:40:40 AM PST
I'm just lucky that my wife still has stuff on her that are a firm.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:41:38 AM PST
(*golf clap*) Nicely done.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:06:22 PM PST
B. Morris says:
We're now bouncing between the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7. We're now actually looking at his and hers for Christmas now as I decided to broach with her about doing what we did last year with the Kindle e-readers.

She loves the idea but she wants whatever we get to be able to get e-pub books from the library. Now I have read that there are third party apps for doing this. Not sure how complicated those are to use. For myself my main uses would be checking news, sports and some light gaming at bedtime as well as storing PDF files for reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:09:04 PM PST
You can get epub books to work on either device (a Kindle Fire or a regular tablet). If your library uses Overdrive for ebooks, you can simply install the Overdrive Media Console on the Kindle Fire for ePub books. There are other epub apps as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:15:06 PM PST
Sarida says:
I'd check the Apple site on Friday. You'd be amazed what you can get refurb (same warranty as new) for only a few dollars more than an Android tablet.

Does your wife have a smartphone? I'm just wondering why you'd pick Android. Honestly? Istuff have a very low learning curve.

And note that the Apple haters will give me downvotes and start calling me names, but that's okay. I'm trying to give you options. AT&T will have some great deals on smartphones on Friday. I'm sure the other carriers will, too. I have the iPhone 4 and when I was in the AT&T store the other day I fell in love with the new Galaxy Note II. Seriously? It's a girl phone because it's so large. The screen would be comparable to her Kindle, too. But then again, I'd sure clear it with her, first :)

What if you said, "Honey, I've been thinking about getting you these three things:

Fire
Other Android Tablet
The other Thing
The other thing.

Honey, I just can't decide because I love you so much I'd love to get you all of them, but you know our budget can't handle that right now. Since Black Friday is here, I can get you more for the money, but I want you to be happy, so could you tell me which of these things you'd like?"

Then suggest she come up with the same plan for you. Then suggest getting smaller gifts as a surprise for one another so she could still have a surprise.

YOU might be surprised as she would get to help you shop for her on Friday (online or otherwise)

If that doesn't work, then at least you get the fight over with now before Christmas.

Honestly...sometimes I get upset with my own gender.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:23:01 PM PST
Sarida says:
I agree :) But I don't want Mr. Mustard loving me and being unfaithful to you :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:24:34 PM PST
Sarida says:
Your local library will have a tutorial on how to use their elending service. No worries. It isn't that hard :)

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:32:37 PM PST
B. Morris says:
Yes we have Android smart phones. It's a long story but my wife works for Sprint and when we got our smart phones Sprint had just started carrying the iPhone and they were not available to employees yet.

If we can without much difficulty get e-pub books on a Kindle Fire then that is likely the way we would go. We like Amazon and in the future when their selection gets better we plan to do live streaming movies through Amazon Prime or Netflix (I like that the Kindle Fire has a Netflix app available). My wife occasionally has to do business trips and it would be nice for her to download a movie onto her Kindle Fire and watch it. Not sure if you can do that with Netflix or if you have just stream it and thus have to have a solid wifi connection which hotels don't often have.

It looks though that it's kind of a wash really between Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD. Both seem to be able to do what we want. The question is do we want to tie ourselves to Google or to Amazon with our tablets. It's sort of why we chose the Kindle over the Nook last year. It was a question of do we want to be tied to B&N for books or Amazon and we chose Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:34:35 PM PST
L. Hill says:
Mr. Morris - Wife had Kindle for over a year, when I had chance to get refurb Fire (gen1) for $119...so I got her one for her birthday mid-year. Since then, she has pretty much dumped her Kindle, does most of her reading on the Fire, and since we have Prime, watches a lot of older TV and movie shows, even though we too have HDTV's. She takes her Fire with her everywhere...

As to PDF's - you might want to consider the 8.9 Fire to make reading those a little easier. I use mine extensively for work, creating documents in Word, converting them to PDF, and sending them (via a nice little "Send to Kindle" app Amazon has) directly to my Fire...works wonderfully (I use PDF's so formatting is "fixed" as I use it to preach and teach from, most of them in bullet-line formats).

Just some thoughts...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:37:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 3:37:39 PM PST
B. Morris - Services like Netflix or Prime Instant Video are streaming only so you would have to have a decent wi fi signal while traveling. It doesn't have to be a great signal. I was getting only 2 bars out of 4 in a hotel and still watched lots of video. You can purchase or rent video from Amazon that can be downloaded for viewing without wi fi.

I will mention that there is currently no Android App for Amazon Instant Video, so if you were to go with the Nexus, you might have issues with watching Amazon video through a web browser. With the Kindle Fire, all this is built in.

You mentioned B&N, did you know that you can install the Nook app on a Kindle Fire and read B&N books? if you had any...Just wanted to mention it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:44:46 PM PST
Sarida says:
No, you cannot legally download movies from Netflix - only stream.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:46:42 PM PST
If she's going to use it mostly at home and if she wants to read magazines I'd definitely go for something larger than the seven inch screen. And I agree with everyone else that the Fire is probably not the best tablet if she's not going to watch Amazon videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:53:22 PM PST
B. Morris says:
In reply to Mr Hill above. Originally I was thinking of going for the 8.9 inch but if we end up getting two of them that would add another $200 to the cost. It would be nice but the Christmas budget just won't fit that much into it.

We're definitely leaning towards the Kindle Fires now. Again it's very much like the e-readers. When all is said and done you're tying yourself to a company. With the e-readers last year it was Amazon or Barnes & Noble and we chose Amazon and generally been pretty happy with that choice. I think this time it's a choice between Google and Amazon and again I think Amazon is ahead in that battle in part due to the great experience we've had with their e-reader.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions