Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Moving books to another account

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2011 1:11:25 PM PDT
MARIAN POPA says:
I want to move all my Kindle 3 content from one amazon account to another. Can I do that?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 1:12:31 PM PDT
No; Most Amazon books are licensed to ONE account.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 1:16:12 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
As Coleen says, the books are bought by the account, not the device. It's easier to register the new device onto the old account if you're planning on buying something new.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 2:00:44 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 2:13:48 PM PDT
F. Deighan says:
You absolutely can download from other countries, I just returned from a 3 month Europe trip and downloaded all I wanted, you just need to let them know which device you want them to send your stuff. I done it 7 times while there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 2:55:07 PM PDT
L. Leverton says:
Yes, with a kindle, but with the fire you cannot. It is restricted to us only. It uses the cloud , and people have reported you cannot access many cloud features or download apps out of the us for the fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 3:01:19 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
All of these restriction are legal ones. When Amazon does not allow a book to be copied or lent or transfered, or content to be streamed or sold outside the US, it's because there's a contract or a license or a law that prohibits it.

The reason you cite -- the profit motive -- would be a reason they would WANT to sell anything to anyone, anywhere. But they don't own the digital content they sell. They must abide with their agreements with the people that do own it, and with the laws that regulate such sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 4:44:15 PM PDT
Mr Clark, that ii true! But, I live in Venezuela (I am sorry if my english is not so good), my brother and others friends have a Tablet with Android, and they can download music, movies, apps, surfing webpages, etc. without problem, and legally, because they buy all that things. But with Kindle Fire, if you are outside US, and you want to buy an app or a song or a movie, you cannot do it, that is my issue, why? Why can i do with others devices and with Kindle Fire not, for that reason I feel Amazon is losing market. For that reason Google is the champion in this arena!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 4:57:07 PM PDT
Russ says:
That's with other tablets using Android. This statement posted with the Kindle Fire pretty much answers your question, "The new Kindle Fire is available to customers in the U.S." and does not say for international usage. They may release an international version later, but currently it's not available.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 5:49:58 PM PDT
Marcos... 2 thumbs up for your english. you have NO reason to apoligize. your english is 1000 times better than my spanish so my hat is off to you. thanks for joining us here

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:20:38 AM PDT
Copyright laws, and communications laws, and ciommunications technology, vary from country to country. If the laws in Chile are different from those in the USA, what can be done/used/purchased in the USA can not be used/purchased, etc, in Chile. Blame the Chilean government. In time, enough other countries will adopt 4G, or whatever is needed to use a Fire there, and also loosen copyright laws so Chilean books can be downloaded in the USA, and American books downloaded in Chile, etc. It all takes time. So the combined legislatures, and technologies, of the whole world do not all instantly re-order themselves for your convenience. Too bad. Wait long enough, and thigsg will improve.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 2:16:36 AM PDT
yael says:
it's very interesting what you are all speaking about. My english is not good, I apologize. But there is one policy I don't understand: Amazon is driving on two different parallel roads, the conventional one (paper) and the electronic one. Using a computer, I can buy scientific stuff everywhere without moving any account. In certain cases I have to create a temporary login and password, that's all. And I get the articles. Why is that not possible with Amazon, changing stores as many times as it is necessary, depending on the language used for the publication? My Kindle is american and I expect to get the most interesting books from there and that's why I don't want to move it to Europe. But I should be able to let my Kindle in America and order EBOOKS in another country, the same way you do for paper editions. Download to my PC and then transfer to my Kindle. Why not?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 5:00:39 AM PDT
Yael the big difference is the location based on what is being sold. A paper based book is sold based on the point of sale. So Amazon can sell you something in the US based store because it is legal in the US. Where they ship it is not covered by copyright laws, etc.

Digital content (ie ebooks), are sold based on the destination not the point of sale. This means that Amazon cannot sell you a book that is legal in the US, if you are in France and they don't have the authority (copyright restrictions here) to sell that book in France.

In a global economy this doesn't make much sense but think about how long people in the music industry have been fighting for the priviledge of buying MP3's anywhere in the world. It is still not possible - again due the copyright laws. Changing the copyright laws will take a long time especially when the music producers/publishers of books are fighting every step of the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 1:23:45 PM PDT
yael says:
First, thank you very much for the answer. I grasp it very slowly... Amazon in US is not allowed to sell digital contents to a Kindle user based in Europe... except if his Kindle is attached to a US "dock". And the same applies in the other direction? But could it be then possible that European Amazon stores offer more flexibility inside Europe if the Kindle users are based in one of the EU-countries? I mean that based in France I could get ebooks from Germany without changing "Kindle home"? Outside of the Amazon World it works. I can order digital scientific contents from Austria, but my home is in Belgium. No problem at all. Just a login, password and credit card. As for print products. No legal limitations.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 1:30:30 PM PDT
Yael, from what I've read, it is the same the world over. Amazon, uk can only sell to people based in the uk, etc.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 1:32:40 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
not true - amazon.com is the international kindle ebookstore for all countries. I'm in France and have one kindle registered to amazon.fr and three to amazon.com and I can't buy ebooks at the kindle stores in the UK, Spain, Italy or Germany

however, i can say that I see the same list of available books on all my kindles - the ebook in french is on both amazon.com and amazon.fr because my country is set to France on amazon.com

here's an interesting article on the availability of ebooks worldwide: http://boingboing.net/2012/06/14/why-the-ebook-you-want-isnt.html that explains some of the ins and outs of licensing ebook rights

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 5:24:00 AM PDT
yael says:
That's what I thought: You must have your Kindle registered in the country you want to have a product from. And that is not OK. My impression is, the Amazon structure is a little bit feodal: each castle (DE, FR, US etc.) controls its territory and makes commerce only with the local users. Outside this system it looks different!!!! You can order digital articles or books by institutions or editions that offer first print versions and then the digital ones - serious houses. There are no strange country restrictions as told by Amazon. Or could it be that the scientific world is free from such restrictions? Try in France (CNRS), in Austria (Verlag der Akademie der Wissenschaften) or De Gruyter in Germany. Sure, the prices can be very high. In summary: doesn't matter where my Kindle is, I should be able to download the ordered book in the Amazon format - of course - to Kindle for my PC or my library and not creating many libraries through the continent just for getting one book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 5:34:08 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
It's not amazon setting the rules - in order to set up a kindle store in each of the countries that currently have them, amazon had to agree to abide the laws and regulations of that country and that includes any licensing restrictions imposed by that country

and lest you think it applies just to ebooks and amazon, JC Penneys will not ship Levi jeans to Europe, though they will ship all sorts of other items and I have yet to find a US internet company that will do so - that's because Levi has sold the rights to sell Levis in Europe to entities in those countries

smae holds true for Carharrt T-shirts and other clothing - I have to buy then from someone in the EU and not from someone in the US

and while it may not be OK in your mind, unfortunately that is the way it is right now and all the law-abiding ebook sellers follow these restrictions

btw, unless you have a vnlid address and valid credit card with a valid billing address in that country for those other kindele stores, you will not be able to register your kindle there - lots and lots of people have tried and failed to register to the UK site (Irish are pretty upset that they can't) and the French site (ditto for the french-canadians)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 6:15:01 AM PDT
As others have tried to point out to you, this has nothing to do with Amazon. It is about international distribution rights and international laws (including in the EU) that dictate how digitial downloaded goods are handled. Amazon follows the law to the letter, not just in downloaded goods but physical goods as well. As for the "others" that you are talking about. Some are small companies that don't care about following the laws and distribution rights, they are willing to take the risks because they deal in small numbers. Others are the publishers and international distribution rights holders and as such can sell them anythere they hold the rights for distriubution.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:56:30 AM PDT
yael says:
OK! And thanks for the former link http://boingboing.net/2012/06/14/why-the-ebook-you-want-isnt.html. Look please at www.nature.com or www.sciencemag.com! They don't have of course the same ambition.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:09:45 AM PDT
yael says:
Sorry I missed the last sentence of Palmer. That's it. But how to get the contents I get in France, in Germany into one library, one Kindle - for me it would be this at Amazon.com- ? I would expect to be able to buy at Amazon.de, but they send me back to Amazon.com and I have to move my account. Sounds complicate. I could for instance create an account on Amazon.de to dowload the stuff and to send it then over to Amazon.com. Why not? That is properly the reason of my "incursions".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 3:17:29 AM PDT
Yael, if you purchase a title on your account registered to Amazon.de, you cannot send it over to the Amazon.com account due to the license restrictions. I'm assuming you mean using the "gift" at the time of purchase. The Amazon.com account would only get a gift certificate since that book is not available at Amazon.com. The same applies if you "loan" a book. The only way around this (that might work as I haven't tried), would be to register your Kindle to the Amazon.com account to read the books there. Then de-register and register the Kindle to the Amazon.de account to read the books there. Or purchase 2 Kindles - one for each account.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 3:30:30 AM PDT
yael says:
You see, that's the problem. Using another way of distribution I get it on the device I'm using: Pc, smartphone, tablet. The contract stipulates that i'm not allowed to copy, sell..... the purchase, but I have the product where I want to have it and can transfer it, make annotations and copy it back. Well, I will limitate my purchases to the possibilities offered by Amazon.com.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 5 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 5256 24 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 5045 1 minute ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 9461 2 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 2566 4 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 6603 4 minutes ago
What is the "Others" storage category 109 5 minutes ago
amazon Echo 1510 6 minutes ago
Kindle vs Airport Security 156 7 minutes ago
My Kindle port is broken 0 8 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions