Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Apocalypse/End of the World Themed Books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 100 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 11:50:21 AM PST
Lilacteapot says:
Yes, I have. I've read Pandora's Star, Judas Unchanined, The Night's Dawn Trilogy, the first of the Void Books and I have the second one about half way finished.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 11:57:21 AM PST
Lilacteapot says:
When I first got my Kindle, The Night's Dawn Trilogy was available as one download for about $4.99. I see that it is no longer available.
- "The Reality Dysfunction - Part 1: Emergence,"
- "The Reality Dysfunction - Part 2: Expansion,"
- "The Neutronium Alchemist - Part 1: Consolidation,"
- "The Neutronium Alchemist - Part 2: Conflict,"
- "The Naked God - Part 1: Flight," and
- "The Naked God - Part 2: Faith."

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 12:07:43 PM PST
Not sure why Amazon doesn't have it for the US right now, I found other sites that sell it in Epub format. Just have to wait, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 12:26:25 PM PST
Is that what is here on the kindle? I am thinking it might be - because I always thought Molly Ringwald and Gary Sinise's baby was theirs - and reading it it wasn't - it was another guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 12:32:06 PM PST
rickh57 says:
I pressed the like to read button for Canticle when I got my Kindle at Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 12:43:02 PM PST
Zebras says:
Mary, you can't go wrong reading it. I have only read The Stand and one other of his, so I too don't count myself an official fan. Make sure you get the extended version. I even re-watched the mini-series based on it fairly recently.

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 12:55:28 PM PST
James Orr says:
The Postman by David Brin. Don't worry, there is very little resemblance to the Costner movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 2:31:08 PM PST
Lilacteapot says:
The movie didn't show ALL the detail of the book. You got much more detail on Franny's [Molly Ringwald] pregnancy along with arguments with her mother about it. This was even before the Extended version came out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 2:56:50 PM PST
Dante says:
I also recommend 'Amsterdam 2012'.

Amsterdam 2012

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 4:58:42 PM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
I agree with that one, James!

It's funny, I actually recommended the book to Clint Eastwood as something he might star in...just as a fan, I don't know him. I think he would have been a much better choice, personally. I assume the rights had already been sold, but I didn't know that at the time.

There are many, many choices in this genre, that's for sure!

Bufo Calvin
Amazon Author Central page:
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002E0NBIW

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 6:00:52 PM PST
Kathryn says:
I loved the stand, the passage, alas Babylon. Also, I liked Califia's daughters. Post ap from a woman' point of view.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 6:35:02 AM PST
Lilacteapot says:
Just a bit of trivia...I remember reading The Postman in short story form [before it was expanded to a book] when it first appeared in Omni magazine. I don't remember what year that was.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 7:42:09 AM PST
Desiree says:
I enjoy zombies too. I really liked the triology by Rhiannon Frater: As the World Dies. I have it on my kindle, however, it has been unavailabe for purchase from Amazon for awhile now. There is some romance in it and it is easy to really like and care about the characters.

After the End Takes place in Manhattan.

After Life Takes place in the Twin Cities/WI area. Some romance between the main characters. People who are not zombies will come back as zombies after they die a natural death. That part was a little different.

Dead City

DRACULAS (A Novel of Terror)This story takes place in a hospital. Man gets infected then infects others. The whole story they remain at the hospital. It is written by a few authors together. Very entertaining. They could do a sequel and I would read that one too.

Het Madden, A Zombie Perspective: Book One: WRATH 2012 (Volume 1) (Het Madden, A Zombie Perspective.) Zombies that think and communicate. Different spin on zombies but it was a good book.
I tried to put links in for these zombie books that I liked. I read all of them cover to cover in a day or two, so they kept my attention. I paid the most for the trilogy books by Frater ($7), but the others were pretty inexpensive. Sorry I forgot to pay attention when adding the links. Hope this gives you some options.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 8:04:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2011 8:15:03 AM PST
Tumblelily says:
I find I've been on an 'End-Of-The-World-As-We-Know-It' reading binge since I bought my Kindle in November!
Here are the books I've read that qualify for that category:

~ Last Light, by Terri Blackstock

~ One Second After, by William R. Fortschen

~ Lights Out, by David Crawford

~ Indivisible, by Troy Grice

~ The Jakarta Pandemic, by Steven Konkoly

~ The Sleep of the Gods, by James Sperl

~ Invasion America!, by Alan Wing

~ Land of Ash, by David Dalglish, David McAfee (which I just started)

I feel comfortable recommending each of them, but especially enjoyed 'Lights Out', 'One Second After', and 'The Jakarta Pandemic'.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 12:27:46 PM PST
I'm really glad I have an Amazon gift card because I'm going to go broke with all the books I want to purchase after going through all these posts! I love the Kindle community! <3

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 12:48:15 PM PST
The Deep Winter series by Thomas Sherry is excellent.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 10:42:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2011 9:57:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 11:12:53 AM PDT
Lynn McNamee says:
One Second After
I Zombie I
Fire (Elements of The Undead)
The Walk
The Stand
Swan Song

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 11:16:54 AM PDT
Frank Tuttle says:
Day by Day Armageddon
Feed
Deadline

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 12:03:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2011 12:04:23 PM PDT
Surveyah says:
no one has mentioned The Bible - now THERES some apocalyptic end-of-the world fictional drama....

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 12:23:02 PM PDT
MacLady says:
One Second After by William R. Forstchen is a good book. Scary part of the book is the fact that it all to easily could turn into reality.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 7:41:55 PM PDT
Sky Sox Wiz says:
Is David Crawford planning a sequel to "Lights Out"? I have read dozens of dystopian/post-apocalyptic/zombie novels and I think Lights Out was the best constructed and proof-read of the bunch. I've forgotten dozens of others but really crave more Lights Out.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 7:42:49 PM PDT
Sky Sox Wiz says:
David Crawford's "Lights Out"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 7:44:21 PM PDT
Sky Sox Wiz says:
It was not only entertaining but he always inserts bits of humor. A great read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 2:09:33 AM PDT
IamOneill says:
Thanks for your suggestions I am going to follow up on them - 1 second after and Jakata Pandemic look good.

Another reviewer recommended As Wind Through Dry Grass and its sequel In the Valley of Dying Stars to me. You might want to check them out - definitely worth a look but not for the faint hearted or politically correct.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Software Update for Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, and Kindle
0 15 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
shattered Kindle glass 3 3 minutes ago
Welcome To The Quirky Zoo! Home To Many Exotic and Everyday Creatures Including a Platypus! 7384 6 minutes ago
Trying to decide which kindle to buy 3 6 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 6355 9 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 2516 11 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3237 14 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 7461 16 minutes ago
August 2015--Informal Poll--What are you reading? 440 17 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2015 815 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions