Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4101-4125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 14, 2012 6:06:44 AM PDT
I cannot get enough volume on my Kindle fire to watch a movie, even when I use headphones. does anyone recommend a
good pair of headphones for the Kindle Fire?

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 6:13:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 6:16:24 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
Patricia, someone will come to tell you exactly what to do. If you know how to search discussions you will find answer this discussion. There is an app for volume. I hate to tell you which so wait a bit. I will check back. I think Glenn had the answer for that. I copy and paste some so I will look.
Luckily, I found this on my laptop.

VOLUME Glenn says:
S. Maher. Your response was to a post from Dec. In regards to low volume I highly recommend an app called "Volume+" avaliable in the appstore. After installation go to settings and tweak the settings. Heed the warnings regarding high levels as raising it the max settings could damage the speakers. I have been using this app for months and it works great for watching movies or listening to music without needing earbuds. Glenn

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 6:18:04 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
Glenn, so you are answering Kindle questions bright and early this a m.
Hello, JOANNE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:56:13 AM PDT
I certainly will try this out thanks so much. Will let you know how it works. Pat

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:08:35 AM PDT
Rogue says:
I see Avid has already posted my response. Hope you like it. You must start the app before starting your movie or music for the app to run in the background. Glenn

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:14:14 AM PDT
Ritz says:
I know you can't organize books in Collections on a Fire, but has an App been developed for this and if not, why not (technologically speaking)? Didn't find one in Amazon's APP library.
I am debating getting a Fire; I have a Kindle Keyboard but I miss Color and email is really cumbersome on the KK. But the lack of Collections is a big detriment. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:18:12 AM PDT
Rogue says:
Avid: Great job answering that post. I'm on the West coast so you got the jump on me! Well done! Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:24:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 6:06:12 PM PDT
Rogue says:
Ritz, collections are not currently supported on the Fire, but we hope they will be soon.
In the interim, there is this area of your Amazon account which allows for certain groupings to be made such as read, unread, reading, etc. We hope to see collections in a future update. The technology of the Fire being so different from the other models makes it more difficult to implement. Glenn
Edit: I forgot to post the link, sorry!
https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:32:06 AM PDT
Ritz says:
@Glenn, thanks, I read something about this. Kind of like Shelfari. But yeah, Collections would be great addition.
I am really cheap, so am hoping Amazon offers again the $139 refurbished deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:12:18 AM PDT
Rogue says:
Fitz: If not in a rush to get one I'm sure a sale will be announced in the not too distant future. But keep checking as they go fast! Glenn

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 8:30:32 AM PDT
Ritz says:
Glenn, yeah, I hear (see?) you! Debated the last two times the sale was offered. I'm going to Greece on vacation at the end of September, so hope there a sale then. I bought a KK so I wouldn't have to take so many books with me to Greece, but I miss the color more than I thought I would. And the email functionality on the KK is really bad (IMHO, of course) (which is worth what you paid for it).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 11:12:16 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
LOL,Glenn, the only problem is that I don't copy and paste everything~~~only if I think I might like to know that sometime. It was my pleasure. I hope all is going well for you and wife and gkids.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 11:22:17 AM PDT
cyndi says:
On my previous Kindle I was able to organize my books and such by author so that it doesn't take up so much room on the front. In addition, is there a way to put Books on the book tab and newstand stuff on the newstand tab ONLY? And can you add tabs such as one for games? just trying to eliminate things that show up on the openning page when you only access them rarely.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 11:34:35 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
BTW for those of you Kindle owners who haven't seen this is free today.
Free Software: How to Save $5000 on the Most Popular Software Titles

Read the reviews on this one...it may not be what you think. I knew about this John Locke (b. 1632, d. 1704)
He is also an author and I am going to look and see if I still have some of his dead tree books I could sell on amz.
How To Sell A Gazillion eBooks In No Time

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 11:47:26 AM PDT
Rogue says:
Ritz: I also have a KK and would never part with ti. It's much easier on the eyes when reading and of course it is perfect for outdoor reading. I was at the beach this past week and my Fire functioned well in the sun as a mirror, but my KK was awesome. Agreed about email on the KK. That's partly why it's in the "Experimental" area I believe. If I'm online when thy have the next Fire sale I will post it right away. Glenn

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 1:07:14 PM PDT
I have thanks to Q updated my Adobe Flash to version 11.1 from 1mobile.com "I had to sideload it".

And after some searching I updated my Kindle for Android Reader just a few moments ago to version 3.6 and it has added a couple of nice features such as side by side pages in landscape mode, and narrower margins in portrait mode.

Who say's that the Kindle Fire is not a Fully Functional Android Tablet Computer?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:08:52 PM PDT
@Avid Reader

Thanks for the heads up and link to the "Free Software" book. I got it, and have used most of these programs, but good information anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:31:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 1:33:21 PM PDT
Q says:
Hi Michael,
... And now I've reinstalled the Flash 11.1. I've already discovered two sites that wouldn't work without it. Not sure if it is 100% compatible with the Fire, but I know of sites that are not compatible with the Fire running Flash 10.3!

And as for K4A 3.6 ... you are making me jealous. Odd that the K4A app is getting updates that the Fire's built-in K4A isn't (yet). I'm sure it will eventually. I wonder if they are waiting for the big update most Kindle models get once in their lives.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:43:20 PM PDT
@Q

The Kindle Fire, does not come with the Kindle for Android Application.

The Kindle Fire has it's own Kindle Reader Application. that is not the same, and they do not perform the same.

And if you took the time, you would also like the K4A App. You just have to understand that when you are buying books, they must be for you K4A device and not sent to your Kindle Fire, where they will not go anyway.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 1:55:10 PM PDT
@Q

Just after I installed the Flash update yesterday. I got a notice from 1mobile that they had updates for me.

I started the 1 Mobile Market App and went to the updates section, they had 11 updates for me, The one for GO Launcher EX added a couple of neat features.

I have for some time replaced the stock GO Launcher EX Dock Icons, with Icon's for applications that I use frequently. But whether I had the Dock visible or hidden, the icons on which ever desktop or screen I was on always stayed in the same place, with space visable on the bottom or right side for the dock.

With this update, when I hide the dock. the Icons on whatever screen I am on recenter and are spaced equally across the screen. Neat!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 2:11:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 2:13:17 PM PDT
Q says:
Yep. I already know all of that after my last go around with K4A app trial. 4.4 is not the same as 3.6. And I realize that the app installs itself on the Fire as a seperate app that needs books downloaded specifically for it. I'm just too lazy to bother with it. What I have works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 2:12:45 PM PDT
@Q

I've got page numbering!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 2:15:28 PM PDT
Q says:
Not an actual big deal to me. We'll get it eventually, but page numbering doesn't help me read my books any faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 2:20:08 PM PDT
@Q

Maybe so, but the side by side pages in landscape mode is neat!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 2:30:12 PM PDT
Rogue says:
Q. Good point on page numbers. It shows me how many more pages I need to read! If the plot is moving slowly the page numbers just make it seem longer. Glenn
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  1164
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 77 customers

Search Customer Discussions