Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Cannot connect to wifi

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2012 11:50:09 AM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
I just got my Kindle for Christmas. Now when I try to connect to wifi, it says "connecting - connecting - connecting" for a minute or so. Then it says my Kindle cannot make the wifi connection. I have 3 books I've purchased, already charged to my card & I can't download them! Help...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:52:28 AM PDT
Are you using your own home WiFi? Reboot the Kindle by holding the power switch for 30 seconds. If the Fire, tap the power button once after you do that.

You may need to also restart your wireless router.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:53:58 AM PDT
Dittie says:
Reset your router by unplugging it for a minute or two. Plug it back in and once it's booted up, restart your Kindle by pressing or sliding the power switch/button for a count of 30. Then wait for it to come back up before you try again to connect.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 12:15:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 12:15:53 PM PDT
VeggieSD says:
I had the same problem a few days ago. It connected at first, and then absolutely refused to establish a connection. For me, the standard turn everything off and on again did not work. I reset the Kindle to factory defaults and it still would not connect. I had to go into the router itself and reset everything-- this started the network off from scratch.

No matter what solution works for you, your books aren't lost. They are still connected to your amazon account.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:36:08 PM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
Thnaks for the replies. But I do not have wifi. I have to go out & use cafe's, restaraunts, etc. I've not had any problems using (even the "free") wifi networks until the past couple of weeks.

I will try holding down my 'on' button longer next time.

Any other suggestions? Thanks sooooooooo much! : )

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:43:42 PM PDT
There have been other posts about Starbucks in particular. Is that where you usually go?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:46:52 PM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
No, actually, McDonalds & Panera. McDonald's has always connected just fine until recently - & I don't even have to eat the food, cause it's free ; )

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:48:55 PM PDT
I've only used my Fire once at McDonalds. Can you have the Fire "forget" that connection and then start over again? My question may not apply...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:52:49 PM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
I don't have a Kindle Fire, I just have the Kindle... I don't know if I can have it 'forget' a connection or not... I'm pretty un-tech & don't know much about these.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 12:53:37 PM PDT
C. L. Exline says:
If you don't have wi-fi, use the cord that should have came with your Kindle and download from your computer. Plug cord in your Kindle and into your computer, go to Amazon's "Manager Your Kindle" and you'll see your list of books. (Kindle Library) On far right, you'll see "Actions" for year book, click on the options and select download & transfer via usb. I download my books on desktop and move them to the Kindle, it's faster, but you'll figure out the way best for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:56:13 PM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
Thanks Carol, I might try that. As I said, I am fairly clueless with this.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 1:01:04 PM PDT
C. L. Exline says:
So was I clueless and I don't have wi-fi either, good luck, B. Hope I explained it clearly.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:09:02 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
The companies who are giving you free wifi could have changed what you can do. A lot of them are making it so that you cannot download anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:47:58 PM PDT
Jeff...have you read that somewhere?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 1:53:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 1:57:58 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It happened at a shop down the street and where my sister works they have done the same thing. Too many people are taking advantage of the free wifi and are just using it to download. Free wifi was meant to be used to surf the web and check email. Downloads take a lot more bandwidth which the companies offering the free have to pay for.

The easy way to tell is try going to a webpage. If it connects but you still cannot download anything then it is being blocked.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 2:21:42 PM PDT
Buster's Mom says:
This just happened to me, too. I have the Kindle basic and no wifi at home. Always use wifi at work, Burger King, etc. until last Thursday when the wifi at work wouldn't connect for me. I tried all day on Friday, too, and then called the Kindle Customer Service. Was told to press the on/off button and hold it for 30 seconds; then when I released the button, the Kindle turned back on by itself (got the boy reading under a tree picture). Was prompted to turn on wifi but had to wait until I could get to my local Burger King this morning. When I did, the wifi connected--all's fine now.
Your reply to Buster's Mom's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 4:36:09 PM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
Very true. Could be the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 4:40:13 PM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
That's a hopefull sign for me. I will try holding down the on/off button and let y'all know.

BTW what is the Customer Service #? I haven't been able to find it...

Thanks to you all!!

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:16:52 PM PDT
Buster's Mom says:
Kindle Customer Service: 1-866-321-8851

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 5:48:50 AM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
It worked!!!! Thanks to you all!! I held the on/off button in for a bit. I was able to download my books this morning on the way to work. Thanks again!

I still would like to have the customer service # if anyone has it handy - just in case I have future issues.

Have a good week.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 10:19:53 AM PDT
Buster's Mom says:
I already posted the number--see the post above your last one.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 11:12:28 AM PDT
I have tried all of the suggestions above to connect with my home WiFi which is working for all the computers in the house but not the Kindle. I keep getting the indication that I need to connect with a wireless. I am at a loss for how to proceed. I have tried to reboot the Kindle three time with no success!

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:11:34 PM PDT
That's exactly what is happening to ours! I can connect all other devices to our home wi-fi but not the kindle. When I first got it, it took me a while to get it to connect. I finally rebooted the router and that did it. But, now, I can't get a wi-fi connection anywhere. What the heck? I should not have to reboot a router everytime I want wi-fi on my Fire! UGH!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 3:51:09 PM PDT
B. Whittaker says:
Thanks, Buster's Mom! I got it! I had missed it earlier.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 4:11:04 PM PDT
Buster's Mom says:
When I had my problem with the kindle wifi connection, I tried rebooting the kindle several times--at least, I thought I was rebooting it! Turns out, I wasn't doing it right. Called Kindle Customer Service: 1-866-321-8851 and they talked me through the steps so the kindle rebooted successfully. Try calling them; if there's some other problem, they may be able to figure it out and help you get the problem resolved. Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
28 9 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK #78 and still going! 7268 17 seconds ago
Does the Kindle Fire have internet everywhere? 22 2 minutes ago
kindlle unlimited 12 4 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014 9 8 minutes ago
Kindle for iPhone 6 Plus 16 9 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 3026 16 minutes ago
Kindle for Mac crashes on startup in OS X 10.9.5 18 16 minutes ago
Accidentally Deleted a Book 24 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions