Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Paperwhite

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2851-2875 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:59:52 AM PDT
H. Lapo says:
@Oyeols - If the S3 can be configured for "Infrastructure" mode, yes it should work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 9:04:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 9:05:00 AM PDT
H. Lapo says:
@H. L. Williams - That is described pretty clearly in the product description, especially if you follow the "Learn more" link. It specifically mentions using an Audible audiobook AND a companion Kindle book. Nothing deceptive.

"With Whispersync for Voice, you can seamlessly switch between listening to the Audible audiobook and reading the companion Kindle book"

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 10:38:03 AM PDT
KFHD 8.9 and 1080p Content -- Does anyone know if Amazon is planning on upgrading its Prime streaming movie/TV content from 720p to 1080p, in order to take full advantage of the 1080p screen on the Fire HD 8.9? Sorry if this has already been asked.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 11:36:30 AM PDT
monilee says:
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB Does anyone know if you will be able to go to settings and turn off/on mobile data? I know you can do this on an Ipad and smart phones.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 1:08:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 19, 2012 1:09:07 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 1:46:41 PM PDT
R. Parazine says:
Without having to look through all the posts...any idea when the new Kindle products will be available in stores?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 1:55:15 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
The new Fire HD and I believe the new basic model of the Fire as well, are at Staples now. Probably Best Buy, too, I haven't checked.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 2:36:29 PM PDT
R. Parazine says:
How about the Paperwhite?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 2:45:44 PM PDT
The Paperwhite won't be released until Oct. 1. If the stores have it yet (unlikely) they'd better not have them out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 2:46:52 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
I have no way of knowing when (or even if) it will arrive in stores, but since the Fire HD was at Staples stores on its release date, I would expect the Paperwhite to be there sometime in October.

FYI, we are fellow customers in this forum.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 3:47:40 PM PDT
I was really looking forward to having the paperwhite untill I found out that the audio portion is not included...that would have honestly made the paperwhite the most amazing honestly, I just travel a lot and being able to have any book that I have read to me.... is just LOVE...come out with a special edition that has the audio and wifi and I will so buy it (paperwhite+audio)+ wifi+3g= I will buy it

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 4:26:15 PM PDT
I really want to by the HD 8.9 but if it does not support google plus hangouts video chat I am sure I will end up going to Samsung. I don't have a problem with Skype but Google Hangouts are more my interest and are easier for propping up at the dinner table to eat dinner with family and friends. Not sure how to pass along this to the powers that be.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 4:26:34 PM PDT
I really want to by the HD 8.9 but if it does not support google plus hangouts video chat I am sure I will end up going to Samsung. I don't have a problem with Skype but Google Hangouts are more my interest and are easier for propping up at the dinner table to eat dinner with family and friends. Not sure how to pass along this to the powers that be.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 4:46:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 4:48:19 PM PDT
edfan says:
I have been an Amazon booster for years, I've been around since they started. I have a Kindle Fire which I like a lot. I'm probably going to buy a Fire HD to get a better screen and sound -- but I recently purchased a Samsung Note 10.1 because it fits much better with my idea of a tablet for productivity uses. After my initial rush of excitement, I peeled back all the differences and in the end, I went with Samsung because it's really an Android tablet. The Kindles are for the purpose of consuming Amazon content. I heard one experienced person say it was locked up tighter than Apple! Amazon isn't making a TABLET, they're making a touch screen Amazon device. They have overlaid so many custom things on the underlying Android/Chrome software, the HD no longer really plays well with actual Android software. I wouldn't expect this to change, no matter what the price of an Amazon gadget might be.
Your reply to edfan's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 4:52:07 PM PDT
To their benefit, I think they've been very open about the fact that the Fire is not a general-purpose tablet. At least until Bezos proclaimed it the best tablet at any price. And even then he went on to explain that it was positioned primarily to deliver Amazon content and the they expected to make their profit selling that content, not the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 5:27:25 PM PDT
Leia, I can say on good authority that Bruce and Johhny's information comes from better authority than you are accessing. Unless your brother is Jeff Bezos. :=)

May your Mother RIP

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 5:27:44 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
Actually, it works for quite a few books I already had in my kindle library. I just had to go get the companion audible book. (I tested with a few where there was a promo where if you had the kindle book, the audible book was free). I've had other books that I've had for a while inform me that if I bought the audible book, I'd be able to do the whispersync.

Btw, I'm not sure if you realized it, but you don't need a new fire to get whispersync for voice. My kindle keyboard supports it, and I can use any device with an updated audible app to listen to the books.

If you aren't happy with the fire, don't forget that you can return it for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 6:43:53 PM PDT
CCH says:
I agree Jocie. For now I will keep my Kindle Touch 3g+wifi since I do enjoy my MP3 and the text-to-speech feature. If all of those features remained, I would have purchased the Paperwhite too! I really enjoy being able to download books anywhere, anytime and listening to soft background music sometimes while reading. I have not had any problems with my KT, and I love it!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 6:49:15 PM PDT
Blackbeard says:
Bruce said:
"To their benefit, I think they've been very open about the fact that the Fire is not a general-purpose tablet."

Here here. I want to second that. The Fire is a content delivery appliance, not a general purpose tablet. I'll never understand the logic where some folks hear that it uses Android, so they want to hack it to do other things, and when it doesn't work well, they blame Amazon. It's not an Android general purpose tablet! Amazon needed an underlying operating system, so they chose Android.

In the background, I hear Shirley Bassey singing, "History Repeating." Back when the first gen Kindle came out, some folks heard it uses Linux, and they became disappointed with what it *couldn't* do as a Linux device. There too, Linux was just the underlying OS acting as the interface to the hardware so the Kindle app could do things. The Fire product page is pretty long, and it highlights what it *can* do. If you're satisfied with those features, I think you'll find it performs them well, and you'll be happy. But if what you wanted was a general purpose tablet, then you made the right choice buying the Samsung. Either way, I don't think anyone should be disappointed with what the Fire is. It's what Amazon wanted it to be.

I thought it was very candid and gutsy of Mr. Bezos to say during the presentation that they want to make money when we use the device, not when we buy the device. On the surface, the idea of having to pay to continue using the device doesn't sound very attractive, but again, it's a content delivery device, for Amazon content. Just as the Nook line is for B&N. If potential customers understand that going in, they won't be disappointed. As expensive as the tablets are, Amazon isn't making a killing on them because they expect to sell content. That's a fair deal and they've been up front about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 9:21:31 PM PDT
You sold me a DX, delivered to Australia. Please allow me the same privilege with a Paperwhite.
Cheers,
Paul

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 12:03:44 AM PDT
R Thompson says:
When is this released in Europe?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 12:56:08 AM PDT
Me too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 2:27:27 AM PDT
Hi Kevin, why cant i buy a kindle PAperwhite from AMAzon? I live in South Africa and it says i cant buy it. why?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 6:09:52 AM PDT
Lannette says:
I'm Ok with it being a delivery device. I am NOT OK with a constant stream of 'suggestions". I don't want to pay for the 4G to download them. It's rather like carrying a virtual telemarketer with you all the time. Am I correct that the suggestions can't be turned off - even for a charge? I was initially really excited about this but I'm all but sure that Amazon will be losing my $600+ sale - kindle +accessories.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 6:27:22 AM PDT
JoAnnW says:
I noticed that the Paperwhite holds less books than the Kindle Touch.
So will the Kindle Touch still be receiving updates? Or can I just toss the Kindle Touch that I bought in February?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  1272
Total posts:  3269
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  May 15, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 63 customers

Search Customer Discussions