Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Pottermore Shop-Now Open. Harry Potter eBooks available!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 342 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 9:33:02 AM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
They changed the British English to U.S. -- not only the spelling of words, but even some of the expressions, which to me are a part of the book being set where it is. It changes the characters and changes the entire feeling of the books. Fine if that's what you want, but I only read the British versions to begin with, and that's what I want on my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 9:35:36 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
yeah, I might be able to choose which version, but my account's with http://amazon.com, so I'm not sure

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 9:39:37 AM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
Do you have to link to an Amazon account to download the Kindle version, or can you just download it directly to your computer without linking accounts? If you can only get it by linking accounts, I don't think there'd be any way around the problem of being forced to buy the U.S. version, since my Ammy account is a .com account.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 9:41:40 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
but that wouldn't make sense for people from Australia, New Zealand and other commonwealth countries and I'm sure the Irish would prefer the GB version as well.

price for me comes up in euros when I go to the site

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 9:49:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 9:54:18 AM PDT
Brenda says:
I could have chosen direct download instead of linking, but don't think that would have made any difference. It told me the GB version was not available to me before I linked accounts. I was bummed also, but went for it anyway (very unlike me). 12 people have probably answered by now... Sorry this was a depressing way to start your day.

ETC: I *think* the direct download would have been epub anyway.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:07:26 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
just saw this under languages:

How do I change the book language?

Click on the 'eBooks' or 'Digital audio books' title at the top of the page, depending on the type of books you want to view or buy. The 'Book language' selection is shown at the top right-hand side of each page. To change this, simply select another language.

and it let me create an account in GB english, saw that I was in France (IP detector, I guess), so I'm presuming I'd buy the GB versions if I wanted to

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 10:07:57 AM PDT
CLS10 says: "Question, Thomas. From your experience, do you think we could send the books to two separate amazon accounts as part of 8 downloads?"

I don't see why not. You link your Amazon account in order to send it, and you can unlink an account at any time. Unlink the first account that downloaded it and then link in the second that will use up another download.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:09:04 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
when I signed up, I set my language to GB english

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 10:09:05 AM PDT
AmeliaAT says: "JKR owns the digital rights."

She may own the digital rights, but she still has contracts and dealings with other companies. She may have had to keep them happy in order to get the whole Pottermore thing off the ground.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:12:18 AM PDT
If anyone figures out how to change it from automatically sending to devices let me know. I guess I can go to the ones (extra computers, etc.) on the account and take them off. Because there are about 18 devices on my account but I don't necessarily want them sent to the first 8.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:19:11 AM PDT
I just did a test. If you set your country of residence on your account to be one where the GB version is available you can put it in your cart. But if you enter in a US CC when checking out then the system will automatically change it to the US version and send you back to the start of the checkout process.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 10:19:26 AM PDT
Denise says:
I'm pleased with the pricing, and I did purchase the whole set, but I too wish that there had been an option to get English (UK), as my DTB versions are.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:20:44 AM PDT
Interesting note: When you download the Harry Potter books through your Amazon account, they do have DRM. This may be why additional downloads from Amazon don't count against your download count through the Pottermore site.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:43:01 AM PDT
OK. I was able to figure out how to buy the UK version of the HP books when you have a US account. You will need 2 Pottermore Store accounts. You will need your main US one to buy the book and a second UK one to get the books. So you will need 2 e-mail addresses.

1) Set up your main US account. This one will be where you buy the GB version.

2) Change the Book Language to English(GB). Not the site language, the book language.

3) You won't be able to use the buy button. Use the gift link just below the buy button.

4) Send the gift to yourself at a different e-mail address. Use UK as that gift recipients country.

5) You can now check out as normal using your US credit card.

6) Set up a second Pottermore Store account with the other email address, but this time select UK as the country of residence.

7) You will get the gift code in that email account you set when you bought the gift. Use that code to accept the gift in your second Pottermore account.

8) You will now have the UK version of the book. :) Go ahead and link your Amazon account and send it off to your Kindle. Even though it's a US Amazon account it works just fine. You will get Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. YAY!!! :) In fact I now have both in my account with no problems.

Enjoy. (we'll see how long this loophole works)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 10:56:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2012 11:06:17 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:18:17 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
Wonder if I could buy it with my french credit card and link it to my amazon.com account (country set to France)?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:26:26 AM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
My language is set to GB English. It just won't let me download because I'm in the U.S.

I'm going to see if there's any work around, but I still think it's nonsensical.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:27:44 AM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
Thanks!

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:29:19 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
Hmmm. I think I've only read the American versions. How much is different in the UK versions? Even in the American version, Brittish phrases/words are used (like "snogging").

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:29:21 AM PDT
B. J. Mayer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:32:47 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
Can you tell me how to unlink my amazon account? I don't see any options to do so.

(thanks a lot!)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:34:45 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
There are no real hoops unless you want the UK version. Presumably, even if Amazon did sell the books themselves, US account holders would still be sold the US books while European account holders would get the UK version or whatever.

THe process to get the books onto your kindle is no harder than sideloading books...that is to say, very very easy.

And, they are REAL kindle books.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:54:55 AM PDT
You don't have to sideload. The books are in your Kindle library just like all of your other books.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 12:01:59 PM PDT
H. kendall says:
Thanks Thomas Palmer! I now have the UK version which I wanted. It really was easy to follow your instuctions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:22:28 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
how are they not real kindle books?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  342
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2012
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions