Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 128 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2012 10:50:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 7:30:12 AM PDT
Welcome to the Free Book and Chat daily thread! There are comfy bean-bag chairs, wonderful chaises, and a nice air conditioned sun porch set up, complete with porch swings/hammocks. The usual snack/beverage bars are available. With school getting ready to start, I'm in a mood for fall! I have busily been baking Amish Friendship Pumpkin bread all day. Feel free to try it out! (Recipe and more info available at www.friendshipbreadkitchen.com or any other random Google hit) Please see the wait staff for any additional needs. Please share your finds, and click on any that interest you that others post!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/
http://us.kinlib.com/feed/
http://us.kinlib.com/new/f326/ (331 books as of 01:08 AM PDT)

Ereaderiq:
Ereader.com/free/mn
Ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
Dailyfreebooks.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best Songs Ever... feel free to share your favorites!

1. Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen. The lyrics are actually really sad and depressing, but SUCH a fun song to sing!
2. Cat's in the Cradle Harry Chapin
3. American Pie- Don Mclean. Most people know every word to this song.
4. Lullabye (Goodnight my Angel) - Billy Joel
5. I Hope you Dance- Lee Ann Womack
6. Beautiful - Christina Aguilera (if you're not a fan, watch the YouTube video of it being signed in ASL.)SO moving!)
7. How to Save a Life- The Fray
8. Can Only Imagine - Mercy Me *
9. The Promise - The Martins, but I prefer Summer Perry version (only found on YouTube) dear dear friend who passed away a couple of years ago. *
10. I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic at the Disco **
Disclaimer: (*) means definite religious message
(**) means mature audience only

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation; however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Link to schedule for book discussion

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=2&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2TN0DNCB8AVSP&cdMsgID=Mx15JBSVOURDBXM#Mx15JBSVOURDBXM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\

STARTER SCHEDULE:
Leonard Little - Sunday August 5: Start time ...... 12:30 am (ish) PDT
The squiggly StoneHeart- Monday August 6 start time: 2 am GMT
SDR Marla- Tuesday August 7 start time: around 9 AM EDT
Ketta - Wednesday August 8 start time: 4-5am EDT
Zoo Keeper - Thursday August 9 start time: 6:00-6:30am EDT
Lover of Books - Friday August 10 start time: 1:00am PST
Sunshineangel30- Saturday August 11 start time 12:30am (ish) CDT
Charlie-bird - Monday August 13th, start time: 7:30am Central

OPEN:
Sunday August 12
Tuesday August 14
Wednesday August 15
Thursday August 16

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 10:59:36 PM PDT
Good job Sunshineangel30.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:03:35 PM PDT
Thanks! I couldn't come up with any cool quotes or anything, so it is what it is. I must go to sleep now, or I'm going to drop my tablet on my face! I'll be back up in about 8-9 hours to add links or anything that I missed!

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:12:18 PM PDT
@ Sunshineangel30
It looks perfect to me. Good job. :)

@ OregonFiddler
Are you staying up late waiting for it to cool off enough to sleep? It is about 71 here now. I am sooo not looking forward to tomorrow though with the forecast at what 98 I think?

Waiting for DH to get home from work. He found out tonight that he has to stay on this "stinking" shift for at least a month. Oh well, it is better than having to switch back and forth. I can adjust to anything as long as it lasts long enough to make the transition lol.

Marilyn

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:19:27 PM PDT
Zoo Keeper says:
sunshineangel,
Absolutely perfect. Everyone puts themselves in the first post. I love the music, some of it takes me back to days past. And maybe best left in the past.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:22:14 PM PDT
Hi Marilyn.

I live down by Salem and I just heard that we can expect 101 tomorrow. My sister is having a backyard party tomorrow afternoon/evening and I'm really not looking forward to it. Might have to leave early.

My DH farms for a living (no, we don't own our own farm) and he has been combining. He goes to work at 6:30 and gets home around 10. Talk about hard to live with! I really feel for him though. He retires the end of the year so this year is especially hard. Oh well, only 149 more days for him as of tomorrow. Do I remember that you live around Hillsboro? I have a son who lives in Hillsboro and works for Intel.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:23:15 PM PDT
Clare D says:
Good start Sunshineangel30. I'll have to come back later when I've formulated my Best Songs list.
I've just been catching up on the last few days' posts.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:25:29 PM PDT
my fave song: Avenged Sevenfold- Dear God (not what you think.. lol.. read the lyrics) Hubby told me this song reminded him of me when he first moved to CA and I was still in FL.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 11:36:01 PM PDT
Zoo Keeper says:
Rocky,
Just had to look. This is great. I can see why it would mean so much to you guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 11:41:29 PM PDT
Oh my goodness...your poor husband working in this heat and combining means a lot of dust too...right? Such long hours must be very difficult for both of you. I bet you both are marking those 149 days off the calendar as they go by.

If I had to go to a party in this heat I would demand one of those "misting" booths like you can find at the state fair... set up right next to a large fan. In fact I have a misting spray bottle with a battery operated fan that I take with me when we go to outdoor events when it is warm. It helps alot. Back in the day when we golfed, I would put a washrag in a ziploc with ice and use it to cool down occasionally. Maybe something like that would help you tomorrow?

Yes we are currently in Hillsboro... or as I sometimes call it ... Hillsburrito <g>. DH has about 3 more years before he can retire at 62 and we plan to move down to Sheridan then. There is a retirement complex there that we like and we both want to be back in a small community. We have been here about 15 years and both hate living in the city, but you have to go where the work is. It seems like I heard something about Intel expanding. Can't remember for sure. DH works with high tech also for a laser company that works with a lot of different applications for circuit boards and chips etc. It is kind of hard to define but the company has a very high demand since there are very few that do that kind of work. That is the reason he has had to make the switch to swing. They don't normally have a 2nd shift but they have so much work they can't keep up.

Marilyn

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:41:43 PM PDT
Favorite songs:

Hotel California - The Eagles
Valkyries - Amberian Dawn
River of Tuoni - Amberian Dawn
Ghost Opera - Kamelot
Karma - Kamelot
Ain't That a Kick in the Head - Dean Martin
Crystal Ball - Styx
Bad Company - Bad Company
Smile Song - MLP:FiM
Cloud Age Symphony - Shuntaro Okino
Tabi No Tochuu - Natsumi Kiyoura
Blue Moon - Frank Sinatra

Just to name a few. ;P

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:44:29 PM PDT
You guys are going to start putting ear worms in my head... LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 12:25:34 AM PDT
Griff says:
Your favorite list made me laugh, so diverse. I am the same way, but I thought I was alone in the world!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 1:03:49 AM PDT
Bagslady says:
@OregonFiddler.....we're supposed to be 81, which is very hot for here. I need to go to 'the valley' for supplies I can't get here. Corvallis is showing 100 for tomorrow. Ack! Hoping it will cool off by Tuesday as advertised.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 1:19:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 1:26:02 AM PDT
poinsKETTiA says:
Great job, sunshineangel30... and sweet dreams.

A kinlib update:
http://us.kinlib.com/new/f326/ (331 books as of 01:08 AM PDT)

My all-time favorite song remains: Paradise By The Dashboard Light (I like most Meatloaf, but this is the best!)
Some other faves include:
Stairway to Heaven
Dixie Chicken (and several other Little Feat songs)
God's Own Drunk (and several other Jimmy Buffett songs)
just about anything by ZZ Top, Supertramp, Eagles, Rush, Alan Parsons Project, Led Zep, AC/DC, Pink Floyd and Yes
Bohemian Rhapsody (yes, *very* fun to sing) and other Queen songs
Total Eclipse of the Heart
for depressing I always go to Janis Ian (my ex called it music to slit your wrists by...)
Geez, not much there that's recent!

STARTER SCHEDULE:
Leonard Little - Sunday August 5: Start time ...... 12:30 am (ish) PDT
The squiggly StoneHeart- Monday August 6 start time: 2 am GMT
SDR Marla- Tuesday August 7 start time: around 9 AM EDT
Ketta - Wednesday August 8 start time: 4-5am EDT
Zoo Keeper - Thursday August 9 start time: 6:00-6:30am EDT
Lover of Books - Friday August 10 start time: 1:00am PST
Sunshineangel30- Saturday August 11 start time: 12:30am (ish) CDT
Charlie-bird - Monday August 13th, start time: 7:30am Central
Ketta - Wednesday August 15 start time: 4-5am EDT

OPEN:
Sunday August 12
Tuesday August 14
Thursday August 16
Friday August 17
Saturday August 18
Sunday August 19

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 4:57:48 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Hello everyone
some of my picks for today
Missing, has anyone seen this child? Contemporary Fiction. Marie Kinneer
Fifteen years ago, a boy was abducted when he was two and despite searching by authorities he was never found. Now, years later, a mother receives a phone call asking her if she would be willing to take custody of her missing son who is 17. He is in juvenile detention and about to be paroled but only if she is willing to take custody. Lana has remarried and has two stepdaughters. Despite many mixed emotions she brings her son home.
Troubles start when a step-daughter finds a scrap of paper with the phone number of her new brother's father, the so-called abductor. Her life is further complicated when Lana learns that her manic father had set up a series of events that caused the grounds for her divorce and the loss of her son.
A liaison between Lana and her son's father effects feelings of guilt and confusion. Should she follow her heart or stay with her current husband and honor her responsibility to the girls she's mothered since their infancy?

-----
Learning to live again Contemporary Fiction (same author as above)
Sam Gear, a forty-five year old electronic Engineer is stopped short of his climb to management and heading up the new division of Digitronics when the break up of his 15 year marriage is followed by triple bypass heart surgery. The story opens as Sam returns to his hometown, Green Mountain, Vermont, and widowed mother to "learn how to live again."
Margie Merryhill, a thirty year old single mother, is living a lie told five years ago when her car breaks down leaving her and her son stranded in the tiny town of Green Mountain, Vermont. She is on her way to her in-laws in Albany, whom she's never met, is her story. Her husband has recently been killed in Desert Storm, she tells the townsfolk, and she is hoping his parents will help her out until she gets on her feet. Allison Gear and Art Browne, who witness the demise of Margie's vehicle, take pity on the young woman with the bubbly nine-year old boy, and the hard-to-believe story. These two put their heads together and before the day is done Margie has a temporary job, a room, and a community.

Peter Merryhill is now fourteen years old and employed after school at Smith's Pharmacy. Old man Smith hires Peter out of compassion for the struggling mom and son. He doesn't expect Peter to be the big help he becomes. The boy is smart, honest, diligent and uncomplaining. But old man Smith doesn't know that the Michelson brothers, newcomers to town, are trying to force Peter to steal drugs for them.

Learning To Live Again is a story of truth and trust, of three people who struggle through the mistakes and the lies in their lives
---------
doG Backwards Literary Fiction by Guy Johnson
Michael works in an office and is mourning the loss of his five year old daughter, Milly.

Barbara has her own cleaning company and the death of her step-father, Eric, hangs heavy on her conscience.

Connor is ten and, despite having the love of his aunt and uncle, still misses his mother, who has been dead for over a year.

Liam lives in his big family home all by himself, where he hides from his past and yearns for the return of his mother, father and sister, all of whom are gone for good.

Shelley, friend and lover to Liam, also has her losses, but keeps these a secret from him.

In doG Backwards, the lives of these characters intertwine. However, it isn't their loss that brings them together - but opportunity.

Michael, Barbara, Connor and Shelley all receive letters from the mysterious `reverse programme' - a secret experiment that makes them an offer beyond comprehension: the chance to meet with the dead for one hour. Michael's reaction is very positive: he simply cannot believe his luck. The others, however, do not react in the same way: Shelley is disgusted, Barbara cannot face making a decision and ten-year-old Connor simply doesn't understand.

Michael has to consider his estranged wife, Susan: she has not been chosen for the programme and her devastated reaction leaves their already fragile marriage in tatters.

Barbara has served time in prison for her part in her step-father's death, so she is subjected to additional rules, costs and security, and the experience is likely to leave her penniless.

Connor has not only lost his mother, but also his father. So he is faced with a dilemma that no ten year old boy should ever have to face: which one to choose?

Shelley takes a different approach - with Liam's help, she attempts to sell her letter to make money. However, before she can do this, the letter is stolen and makes its way to someone else - Michael's wife, Susan.

At the close of the novel, the `reverse programme' has changed the lives of the characters forever: Shelley has finally accepted her loss; Barbara finds that one difficult reunion has led to another invaluable one; and Connor makes a choice that reunites him with both his mother and his father.

Michael and Susan's stories directly contrast. Michael's shock decision leaves him empty and alone; whilst Susan, the novel's outsider, has pursued a dream she was denied and ends up on an ambitious and inspiring journey. Neither Susan nor the `reverse programme' officials know where this will take her, but all are agreed on one thing: they must simply sit back and let nature take its course...

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 5:38:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 5:43:48 AM PDT
Griff says:
Favorite songs:

You can Cry if You Want to - Holly Cole Trio
Turn the Page - Bob Seger
Maggie May - Rod Stewart
Refuge - Tom Petty
Picture - Kid Rock
Locked Up - Akon
Keep ya Head up - Tupac
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin (what can I say, I am a child of the seventies)
Freebird - Lynard Skynard
Would you Know my Name- Eric Clapton
Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin
Someone that I Use to KNOW - Gotoya
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Stranglehold Ted Nugent ( I know he is a sexist, wacko, but he could play the guitar)
Angie Rolling Stones

I bet you thought I was exaggerating when I said I had very diverse tastes!

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 5:41:57 AM PDT
Barefoot Sisters: Southbound By Lucy Letcher

Still Free today.....great reviews and good bargain for free!

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 5:58:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 6:15:38 AM PDT
Great start sunshineangel30 !

Just heard Mercy me for first time in December.....I have a bunch of their songs now, love their sound and message!

ETA: I accidentally turned this genre radio station on my car in December and their song, "Move" was playing and it was exactly what I needed to hear and so upbeat!! Listen all the time now. Accident or not???

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 7:12:36 AM PDT
chel rs says:
Hi everyone and here are my favorite songs

Turn the Page - Bob Seger
Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd
All About Soul -Billy Joel
Hillbilly Bone - Blake Shelton
I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honeybunch) - Four Tops
Rated X - Pat Benatar
Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Renegade - Styx
Rough Boy- ZZ Top
Hello Dolly - Louis Armstrong
Moonlight Serenade - Glenn Miller

I like a wide range of music. I even like classical music but I don't really have a favorite in that genre.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 7:13:18 AM PDT
My musical tastes are as eclectic as my choice of reading material. I never tell anyone everything that I listen to or read lest they think me crazier than I already am. My husband gave up on me years ago. As long as I put on headphones, he's fine.

Today's picks:
Art, Sharks, and a Coffin Named Denzel contemporary fiction
Montana Revenge Mystery
The Beautiful Truth Contemporary Fiction
Barefoot Sisters: Southbound travel (?)

I had to stop clicking as I have way too many ebooks already. Plus I need to get some stuff down outside before it gets too hot (I'm in central TX and we basically have two seasons - hot and hotter).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 7:23:04 AM PDT
Wonderful start Sunshineangel30,

No songs for me yet but did find some free books to share some new and some yellow bannered for me.

Alaskan Fury (Guardians of the First Realm) ~ Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
ALASKAN FURY:
Long ago, Kaashifah the Fury, Chosen warrior of the Lord of War, fought a djinni to a stalemate in an ancient duel of souls. Three thousand years later, she and `Aqrab, the passionate djinni prince of the Fourth Lands, are still bound together, each waiting for the other to make that final, killing blow. To complicate matters, they are being hunted across the vast Alaskan wilderness by a team of holy soldiers who are specially trained-and highly successful-at capturing the numerous magical beings of the Five Realms. In order to save their friends from the Inquisition, some compromises must be made...and some boons given. But in unraveling the magics that bind them, will these two ancient immortals learn to trust each other, or will their own thawing hearts be their undoing?
**her first book in the series is Alaskan Fire that is the Aug 23rd topic for book discussion.

The Kingdom of the Bears From the Back Cover
"Why did you do it?" said a sleepy-sounding voice to his right, from a cave dug beneath a boulder.
"Yes, why? Why would you steal them? Why?"
There was a second gnome, this one in a hollow at the roots of a fallen tree. It was a fat one, green and mossy. It's teeth were yellow. "What are we going to do now?" It was only a few feet from Aaron's legs and ankles, and it reached out a hand. He jumped back, and as he did, he tripped on a tree root. He hit the ground hard, coming up with a mouthful of leaves. The hand of the fat gnome seized his ankle. The other scrambled from its lair so quickly that Aaron could hardly believe that it was the sleepy-sounding gnome.
He tried to cry for help, but leaves filled his mouth. The grip on his ankle was strong, almost painful. The second gnome grabbed his wrist. This one was thin and wiry. Together, they started to drag him back toward the hole in the roots of the fallen tree. Aaron kicked to free himself, filled with terror. He turned toward his sister, the last of the companions disappearing into the forest. A line of green faces appeared as if from nowhere.
He spit the leaves from his mouth. They left a muddy taste. "Help! Somebody!"

Romance:
A Knight's Word
In this full length medieval romance novel, a commanding and intelligent noblewoman, Elizabeth of Wyndshire, wants freedom from her brother because she loves her brother Thomas' most loyal supporter, Alexander. However, she is forced into compliance by the Alexander's loyalty and her brother's vengeful oppression. Alexander of Dearborn, wants his liege's sister because he has loved her since childhood, but his loyalty to his lord's marriage plans keeps him from having her. Both Alex and Elizabeth want to be together because only then are they truly happy, but the political schemes of Thomas and the villainous dealings of the neighboring earl, Giles of Stickton, keep them apart until their love cannot be denied.
Will they find a way to their happy ending? Will Alex go back on his word to his lord to possess the only woman he's ever loved? It is a question of honor, and Alex is not a man to deny his honor -- but how can he deny his heart?

The Raven's Standard
November 1989, U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeant William Standard is involved in accident near RAF Woodbridge. He awakens in a hospital room and finds himself under "protective custody." What he is told about the accident are not at all what he remembers.
As the days pass, he encounters two gorgeous women and birds from what he thought were dreams, and begins to notice changes in himself that he cannot explain. The women, lead him into a world full of magic and danger. It is in this mythological world that Will must learn to control what he is becoming, understand the love he feels for the beautiful and dangerous Morgan, and how to fight a powerful being with centuries of experience. He must do this while keeping the changes in him secret from the Air Force and his friends safe.

Drop Out
When the Twin Towers fell, Nathan Cruz saved the lives of dozens of strangers but the one life he could not save was that of his pregnant fiancé. Wracked with survivor's guilt and unresolved goodbyes, Nathan drops out of society where he lives self-sufficiently on a houseboat in Florida.
A twist of fate lands him into the home of Miriam Kanter, a young, fiercely independent woman with a shocking secret. Alone together in the midst of a raging hurricane, Nathan discloses the nearly unbearable sorrows of his past and finds strength to piece his shattered life back together. Being with Miriam, he feels the connection he'd been missing, stirring up feelings buried long ago. But will Miriam's own life cut short and plunge Nathan back into his world of reclusive isolation?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 7:32:14 AM PDT
thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 7:39:23 AM PDT
Ooo! Renegade is another great one. And Grand Illusion and Snowblind and. . .I love me some Styx. :) I saw them at the House of Blues down in Myrtle Beach 2 years ago (I think). It was fantastic.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 7:43:07 AM PDT
Good morning! Love looking at everyone's song choices! There have been a couple I've been like duh, that should have been on my list!

I updated the kinlib link that Ketta provided.

Found on my wishlist, I think I'm trying to complete a series Courage to Love (Flynn Family Saga) and others also free Dangerous Men (Flynn Family Saga) and Shattered Lives (Flynn Family Saga) Looks like that completes the series for me!
will keep looking!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  128
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions