Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

raok 42: the olympics of thriends

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2012 7:18:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 7:21:50 AM PDT
Josue says:
Welcome to the new room. Ammy decided to adjust my title. Both raok and olympics was supposed to be in caps but exceeded limit. Thanks to Stone who came up with the title.

Always welcome to meet new people. Welcome all to our 42nd room in just a little over a year and going strong.

To quote our founder Virgoddess (to remember why this thread was started - over 1 year ago): "The point of this thread is to spread the word. What "we" do is click on a username of a poster (any poster in the forum) and scroll to the bottom, find their wish list. If you click on a book *in* their wish list, you can send it to them - without exposing your email address to them, or theirs to you.

To participate, you don't have to do a thing (except make sure your wish list is public!). You are under no obligation to buy anyone anything. You can post here, if you'd like to thank the person that sent you a gift. You can just join in our chit chat, too. The point is to be positive, and hopefully bring a smile to someone's face. This isn't about repaying, or anything like that. It's about giving - a shoulder, a book, a smile.

SOME TIPS: To send a book, simply click on the username here in the forum of the person you want to gift to. Scroll down, and you will hopefully see their wish list. Click on "see all x items" to pull up their entire list (do NOT click a book jacket from their profile page). You will see a yellow button, under the title saying "give as a gift" and click that. It will take you to the message screen, where you can change the "from" name, and add a note. Their email address will be "hidden" for privacy, but it will be sent to them.

To make your wish list public, pull up the list and there is a quick link on the upper right of every page, titled "Wish List" directly under the "Your Account" link. Click that. It will take you to your wish list. Directly under the title of your wish list, you will see a drop down menu, titled "Manage this list". Click that, and in the drop down, click "Change Privacy Settings" and make sure it says "Make list public".

SAFETY TIPS and INFORMATION: Follow the above instructions to get to your wish list. Again, click the "Manage this list" drop down menu. This time, select "Edit Settings" and this will bring you to a screen that shows your privacy settings. The name you see on the Name line is the name that is shown to people you GIFT books to. Simply change it to the name you're comfortable with and save. This will prevent your full name from being displayed on your gifts. To make your wish list visible from your profile, you have to go into your profile and edit it. You need to change the middle section (wish list and registries) to show everyone. If you have that set to private but your wish list public, others can find your wish list through the search, but not your profile. If you change that wish list setting on your profile to everyone, you'll be good to go. That just makes the list visible from the profile, it doesn't change any other privacy settings you have. So to change your Account Name, you'd have to go to Your Account in the upper right corner then Change Account Settings and edit your name. This won't affect anything that I can see except what it shows at the top of the page when it says "Hi Cyndie" instead of "Hi Cyndie MyLastName". And all people will see on their Digital Orders that send me any gifts is Cyndie, not Cyndie MyLastName."

Also, RAOK's don't have to be books. They can be anything you do here or off the forum in your actual lives to do something nice for someone. No one is "keeping score" either. If someone does something nice for you, just find a way to pass it on.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:25:09 AM PDT
Interesting thread title

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:27:33 AM PDT
thanks josh
: )

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:37:57 AM PDT
Welcome all to the new room

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:47:39 AM PDT
err, i need some closing the old thread please

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:50:41 AM PDT
The squiggly StoneHeart says:
my k3 says i have 4000 books in the archives, how many does yours see?

I'm not turning wifi on my Touch since Manage Your Kindle shows over 10,000 titles in that account. The Touch is for side load only now. Even the K4PC crashes when archiving that many titles. Once I start the new account, I'll be curious if K4PC still crashes or if it is an archive isses as well.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:57:42 AM PDT
BINGO Carol, well done!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 7:58:41 AM PDT
Thank you! I've never had the last post before. :)

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:59:09 AM PDT
Josue says:
sorry you two are having those issues. i'm a long before reaching those numbers and makes me think twice about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 7:59:16 AM PDT
lol, well you have now, next you need to try to be the first to post on a new RAOK

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 7:59:28 AM PDT
That's really sad to hear, that they would close the restaurant so soon after getting it up and running. Could one of the spouses not keep it running alone?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 7:59:47 AM PDT
its not just us, there are several people who are having trouble
: (

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 7:59:50 AM PDT
Yay - a new goal! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:00:18 AM PDT
no, if they split they are going to close it, he told me yesterday

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:00:31 AM PDT
lol, enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:02:19 AM PDT
I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:02:54 AM PDT
I was busy reading along when you went and finished it on me. I hadn't even noticed that we were that close to the end. Now, I really need to start sewing since I just remembered that I'm away most of next weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:03:33 AM PDT
me too, i like them i dont want them to split

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:03:51 AM PDT
morning Dr.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:08:38 AM PDT
Josue says:
@Stone, to answer your post on the old thread. that is exactly what i did. told him i just did what he wanted.

also, i really hope they do not close the restaurant for your sake. sorry to hear that :-(

@Carol, same thing. he wasn't really mad at me for that but he did feel i should have warned him. he plans on reading the book soon that's why. i was a little upset about it myself but i can't blame the author, Don Quixote (or Done qua-eex sot according to my brother) is a classic novel from many many many years ago

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:09:03 AM PDT
*rides in on her unicorn*

That room went by pretty quick. How are y'all doing this morning?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:09:32 AM PDT
Denise says:
Nice job, Josh!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:11:08 AM PDT
thanks josh

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:11:40 AM PDT
hi miss kitty, nice ride

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:11:51 AM PDT
Denise says:
hi, CK :)

I still have a couple of pages to catch up on from the last thread.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 1891 1 minute ago
New Kindle Fire HD keeps shutting off 328 2 minutes ago
Gear icon for Settings has disappeared 2 4 minutes ago
War Master's Gate 1 5 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 7533 7 minutes ago
fire tv stick 5 9 minutes ago
watch embedded YouTube videos 3 13 minutes ago
Ten Favorite (new to me) Books of 2014 17 13 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Sunday 28th December, 2014 31 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jul 29, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions