Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

paperwhite/computer pdf page numbers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:01:40 PM PST
The Paperwhite will not display page numbers at all. In fact, not all books will display page numbers. Only those that author or publisher has provided the page numbers for will display them.

PDFs are not difficult to read if you have them converted, as you said you did with the test on your friends Kindle. You could download the pdf directly. I believe if you do that, a page is a page. However, since the Kindle screen is much smaller than your computer screen what you see will be smaller and difficult to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:00:45 PM PST
What I was trying to politely point out is that many people have noted that large PDF files won't open on the paperwhite - some say due to size of the file. I assume that you are looking at large PDF files since page numbers are important to you. Are you sure the paperwhite has enough resources to open the size of file you require?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:57:21 PM PST
I don't think Kindle is set up to display page numbers on PDF files. I believe that it would only display the pdf file as is, which may have page numbers at the bottom or top of the pages. A PDF file is like a series of images of pages.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:53:06 PM PST
rockdragon says:
@vjvl51
I have read plenty about how difficult it is. None of the ones I read said anything about page numbers on computer/kindle. The difficulty of reading pdf files is not what my question is about.

@FoundQuilting
All I have are the pdf files. When opened on a computer (Adobe reader) the book is, lets say, 451 pages. Will the Paperwhite (or any version) also display 451 pages? Or does it use it's own page numbering system?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:46:50 PM PST
The eInk Kindles display page numbers provided by the author or publisher. These page numbers are in a separate file that is downloaded at the same time the book is downloaded. You would have to somehow provide that file.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:43:44 PM PST
It can read PDF files but it is not easy to read most PDF files. There have been a number of threads about trying to read a PDF on a paperwhite. I suggest a search using the box on the right and see what people are saying about how easy it is.

Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 1:41:15 PM PST
rockdragon says:
I'm looking at getting some kind of handheld pdf reader. Currently I read all my pdf books on computer between my office and home. What I would like to know about the Paperwhite is if a pdf file will display the same page numbers as it would on a computer? My problem is I would be switching back and forth between the 2 platforms several times per book, so I need to be able to know what page I left off on and pick it up on the other platform. I tried this with my friends first gen Kindle, but during the conversion process the # of pages increased dramatically. So I'm hoping that since the Paperwhite can read pdf files by default that it won't do that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated since I don't have a friend with a Paperwhite to test it on.

Thanks for the help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7707 2 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 591 1 hour ago
free time 0 1 hour ago
Kindle fire spell check 24 1 hour ago
The time and battery useage icon only appear on the opening screen. 4 1 hour ago
Micro SD and personal music collection 12 2 hours ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4736 2 hours ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1617 2 hours ago
Kindle and RokuTV 9 3 hours ago
can you convert the percentage to actual pages from book? 14 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions