Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New Kindle Fire HD in Ireland..??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 151 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 13, 2013 2:01:55 PM PDT
Me too

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 1:48:56 PM PDT
C. Mc Keon says:
So if my sister buys me a kindle fire in the US will it work now in Ireland?? As in download apps, books, magazines etc using my details and my irish credicard.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 12:27:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2013 12:55:15 PM PDT
Hi I have a kindle Fire and have downloaded free apps and games from UK amazon, also books. I have also purchased apps and games. My kindle fire is fully working, there is nothing I can't download.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2013 4:21:41 PM PDT
TomH says:
I agree. Amazon are treating Irish people with contempt: I live in Ireland and they want me to to transfer my account to so that I will enjoy "being billed in GB Pounds" (Ireland is in the Eurozone!). Stop shopping with Amazon until they get their act together and recognise Ireland.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 9:59:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2013 10:03:11 AM PDT
JED says:
@Brendan K. O'Rourke

That would make sense wouldn't it. Actually, what would make more sense is, if they just had
Still, it is only the 21st century, no one has figured out simple things like that yet.

Just like the ridiculous situation with the Kindle, I had occasion to order a Samsung camera from Fine, but they refused to send a Samsung memory card with it, I had to opt for a 3rd party manufacturer.

Also, because I wanted it sent to Bulgaria, where you are lucky to see a street name, let alone a house number, I tried to provide additional delivery details to UPS and couldn't (easily, err.. like online).

It set me thinking, why on earth isn't there provision on Amazon's website to do that? Surely they are interested in their orders reaching the destination in as timely a manner as possible. They could pass this additional information on to the courier.

So, as it is an international company and the various country websites are essentially the same format, I wrote to (as I speak English) to suggest that. They responded saying "as your Query relates to our Partner site your contact will be best served by transferring your request to my colleagues in and".
Lol, it affects all sites.
So, next, I get an email from .com to say "However, while checking your account details I found that your account is associated with our partner website of United Kingdom (
You'll need to contact our partner site,, for more information about this charge, as our international websites operate independently."
Lol, left and right hand come to mind, a) what charge?, b) I have an account with .com. .de, .fr and, c) this affects all amazons and d), not I, sent it to you to deal with.

Actually, the good thing was that wrote to me in English, as they always do (except when advertising), saying "I have passed your suggestion on to the appropriate department in our company for consideration."

The sooner they realise that it is far better to have one company, one site and, most of all, one price (preferably the U.S. one), the better.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 9:16:29 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
because they have an and an and an and an and an domain.

unfortunately a lot of the rights to use digital media were "sold" before the EU and as you'd most likely see if you tried to stream media from a TV network in Germany, France, or the UK, you would be unable to do so because you're not in the correct geographical region (I'd love to be able to see Dr Who and other BBC programs in France, but I can't until they're picked up by some French network)

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 9:01:40 AM PDT
How come Amazon does not have an domain?

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 1:01:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2013 1:00:41 PM PDT
Waterstones in Cork will be selling the hd 9a.m. on Thursday 13/6

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 12:59:47 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
there's an excellent how-to video under the FAQs on their app store as well

check out 1mobile for apps as well - I'm totally happy with my non-Amazon apps

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 12:57:10 PM PST
Hi Michelle

When you turn kindle on pull down screen from top you will see a few things volume and stuff go into more and go down to device where it says allow other applications and switch that to yes. Then go into web and search for and from there you should be able to download apps. An odd one or two won't download but most of them will. I've downloaded games and a few shopping apps and they work fine. When you go into an app press download and then you need to pull screen from top again and you will see the app downloading when that completes press install. It's very simple to do my instructions might b a bit hard to understand but I have done it very easily. Let me know how you get on with it. If you have any trouble I'll give you my email address and I can send you step by step it might be easier to understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 11:53:35 AM PST
Hi Attracta, I got a kindle fire for xmas and I am unable to download apps, could you tell me how to do it?

Best regards,

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 8:13:33 AM PST
BH100 says:
Hi Ciaran
My simple advise is don't buy it.I'm at this very moment trying to return my Kindle Fire which was a Christmas gift from my daughter in England. And believe me returning it is not as straight forward as it seems.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 10:34:10 AM PST

I live in wexford and purchased a kindle fire before Christmas. I already had an account with amazon so once I registered I can buy books off we have to buy books for kindle off American site but no bother doing that and downloads in seconds. As for apps you won't get to download amazon apps but I have downloaded a lot of apps and games off a site called You have to adjust fire first but I love my kindle fire a fantastic piece of technology. I love mine but would recommend buying a case for it and screen protectors when you are purchasing it. If you get one for your son you can ask me again and I can tell you what to adjust on fire to enable other apps only takes minutes. I would definitely recommend it.

A Redmond

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 6:39:39 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Get a Google Nexus...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 6:35:51 AM PST
hi i have a boy of 9 looking for kindle fire i live in laois too and was going to get it posted to my sister in englands address how then will he buy books music and apps for the kindle here in ireland as my account is obviously with an irish credit card facebook etc is not appropriate for his age so not interested in that but am sure he will want youtube HELP

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:39:53 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How can they make it plainer to you. Have a flashing sign on their website that says "Hey stupid, read this before you buy". Don't think that would work either. People still wouldn't read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:38:23 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Yes, they have the right to sell some books there. But they can't sell you all the books they carry. Just like there are some books not available to me here in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:36:51 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Are you seriously this uninformed? Why wouldn't Amazon sell content if they could legally to these other countries?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:32:28 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You might be trying to help them out but you are also helping them to void their warranties. They should have all the information don't you think??????

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:30:35 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
The thing is rooting the device has voided the warranty. Should have just gotten a Nexus 7....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:25:24 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and isn't that a wonderful app store? I love it - you might try 1mobile as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:17:49 AM PST

I bought a kindle fire from amazon before Christmas and I live in the Republic of Ireland. I have been able to download apps from a site called goodereader First you have to go into settings by pulling down the screen from the top go into more and then device and then where you see enable other applications switch that to on. You can then go onto that website and download what you want there are thousands of apps and games on that site and I have downloaded loads onto my kindle fire. Books are no bother to download.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:00:52 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
this kinda makes it clear:

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon Digital Services. Important information about using outside the U.S.

if you click on the "Important information about using outside the U.S." you'd see the following message:

Want to use outside the U.S.?
If you're traveling with Kindle Fire, you can access any content you've downloaded to your device or shop for new books and magazines anytime you like.
With a U.S. credit card, you'll also be able to purchase new apps and music for Kindle Fire while you are abroad.
To purchase, download, or stream movies and TV shows, you must be physically present in the U.S. and have a U.S. billing address.

seems pretty clear to me and it's also why I did not buy one of the original Kindle Fires, and wasn't going to buy one (mine was a gift) because I'm an expat registered to, but living in Europe. My Fire is fairly usable with apps from goodereader, 1mobile and getjar. I'm not that interested in movies/videos or adding music to it, but I do have quite a few of the popular games (Angry Birds) and receive magazine subscriptions on it as well as having apps to read the BBC news, Huffington Post and Slate Magazine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 4:15:37 PM PST
BH100 says:
Not posting your product abroad is a different issue. But not making it clear on their website that their product has limited use in other countries is not acceptable. This problem is unique to kindle. All other leading tablets and readers work in Ireland. I also received a gift voucher which is also now worthless to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 4:03:40 PM PST
BH100 says:
They are happy to sell content on the normal basic kindle which is sold in Ireland.the world is changing fast Kindle need to catch up.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 15 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 15 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 378 20 minutes ago
Kindle register 4 41 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 4334 44 minutes ago
Paperwhite Freezing and "Application Error"? 15 50 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 4444 55 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 169 58 minutes ago
Locked out of my Kindle cause of Free Time Child 29 1 hour ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 2285 1 hour ago
Battery life 13 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  151
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions