Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi runs only one Band at a time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2014 3:09:35 PM PDT
Frankly I'm not surprised at all.

True Dual Band would require two Antennas (one for each frequency). Since Power passed requires both the output and input impedance to be equal. Two antennas would be required because the 5G antenna length would be about 1/2 the length of the other. In the end I guess they chose one length that was between 1/2 way between both. If the antenna length was matched to one frequency the other would would be sacrificed. Placing the overall length 1/2 way between means one frequency takes a performance hit

True Dual band would have two antennas and both would work at the same time. You don't gain much in bandwidth but the Kindle would not have to switch back and forth as 5G is attenuated more by the walls between the router and the Kindle. And it you are on the lower freq which has far fewer usable bands and normally jammed packed that transceiver will be working harder to get the Kindle to work.

5G is so, so much faster. It has a shorter range and so many more channels to choose that interference with another router are slim to none.

I hate having to manually switch frequencies when I would have to do nothing in dual band.

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:55:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 22, 2014 8:00:42 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:43:19 AM PDT
HD says:
Why does the Kindle fire HD7 16gb tablet have only one connected wire antenna when examining it's internals.
I also heard only one processor truly runs?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:29:59 AM PST
A device that is dual band does not mean it will connect on both bands at the same time. It only means the wifi transceiver can work on both bands.

However dual antenna implies that the device has dual wifi transceivers each on a different antenna. Transceiver one would blow the receiver of the transceiver two if they were on the same antenna and vice verse. The only easy way to isolate each transceiver from the other is to have separate antennas.

The key word for me was dual antennas. However dual antennas could also mean each antenna is tuned to just one band.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:13:52 AM PST
Yes,

I have a Lap Top that connects to my Linksys E4200 dual band router on both bands at the same time. That is the only device that I have that does...

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:35:22 AM PST
T. Cook says:
And you have verified that your wireless router supports simultaneous connections by the same device on both bands as well?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:31:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 5:44:05 AM PST
G. McNeil says:
Hmm. I just re-read the page, James. I also thought duel-band ment 2 at once. The duel antennas I understand (and it does help). After a careful read, it seems the reference to "duel-band" means it will use 2.4 or 5. It does not say at the same time. I only have 2.4 at the moment, but plan on upgrading soon.

Oh, well. My bad. I am still going to move to 5 for the reasons you mention. 2.4 is crowded for me as well.

ETA - Just double checked the router I am looking at and it does do 2.4 and 5 at the same time. Important for me as a lot of my stuff only does 2.4. At least your heads-up had me looking.

Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 4:21:23 AM PST
My Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless 8.9" HD Display, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi, 4G LTE, 64GB will only run on one band at one time.

If I select the 2.4GHz band it will log me in on 2.4GHz Band. If I then select the 5GHz band the Kindle drops the 2.4GHz band and logs on to the 5GHz band. The same thing happens if I select 2.4Ghz Band it will log out of the 5GHz band and then log on to the 2.4GHz Band.

I thought "Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi" allowed access to both Bands simultaneously thus requiring dual antenna's.

The 5GHz Band does not pass through many walls before it's signal drops to low and the 2.4GHz Band is extremely crowded (14 to 18 routers are strongly broadcasting). My wifi analyzer shows my router is the only one on 5GHz.

My router is dual band. The Network Name (SSID) for each band are labeled differently so I know which Band my services are connected to i.e. Shaka5Ghz for 5GHz Band and Shaka2.4Ghz for the 2.4GHz band.

My new dual band Kindle only works with one channel at a time. I paid $614 for this Kindle because it was advertised as dual band. The only reason to have dual antennas is so you can use both bands at the same time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions