Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Switching to Amazon.ca

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 107 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2015 4:11:42 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
just ignore that message - I did for 4 years w/o any problems

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2015 2:36:40 PM PST
I was able to migrate back but I can't remember how I did it. It's now asking me to move again, but it's about six months later. I also used the option to have them call me and it worked just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2014 9:30:09 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
back in 2012 and 2013

if that is still tru then the Canadian store and government must be as restrictive as the Chinese one and don't allow any reverse migration unlike the Germans, French, Australians, Spanish, Irish, Italian and Japanese kindle stores

why don't you just create a new account using some kind of gmail email address, buy a free book and then try to migrate your account to amazon.com and prove to yourself that it works or, better yet start a new thread asking if anyone has successfully migrated back from amazon.ca 9people tend not to read some of these long threads)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2014 9:29:09 AM PST
If you are not convinced, why don't you contact Kindle support and get it from the "horses's mouth"?

Click on help found at the top and bottom of all Amazon pages. Follow the prompts to customer service. I suggest using the option to have Amazon call you. They call within 1 minute and have your account info ready.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2014 9:06:25 AM PST
antirealist says:
If you look at the posts above you will find two from people who migrated from .com to .ca and were unable to migrate back.

I'm still not convinced that a Canada-based user can switch back to amazon.com after migrating to the Canadian store, so long as they remain in Canada. If anyone has personally done this successfully, I'd like to hear about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2014 5:12:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2014 5:15:15 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
not from amazon.ca, but yes from both amazon.com and amazon.fr and back and forth. I'm getting ready to migrate my amazon.fr account to amazon.com sometime this month for the final time as I no longer live in France and I already have an amazon.com account I want to join it to with the Family Library plan

btw, here are the instructions on how to migrate to amazon.ca, so you just have to do it in reverse and a lot of Canadians have returned to amazon.com using this method:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201248840&qid=1418174046&sr=1-1

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2014 4:36:34 PM PST
antirealist says:
Have you successfully done this yourself, or are you just assuming it's possible?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2014 4:14:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2014 4:16:50 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
the only other store you could use is amazon.com and you would have to migrate your account via the Manage Your Content and Devices page (link under the Your Account menu on the upper right of this Amazon webpage), after logging in, you'd then select Settings and Country Settings after that and one you go into those menus, it's fairly obvious how to switch by clicking on Change, selecting your address, clicking OK and then you'll see the stores at which you are eligible to shop

however, it has to be done on the amazon.ca site or on whichever site holds your kindle registration and books

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 3:02:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2014 3:03:46 PM PST
T. Cook says:
iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp, I'm sure a google search would give a lot more.
You don't have to steal if you have issues with one single store, there are many others out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2014 2:19:51 PM PST
antirealist says:
Please tell us how to use a different store after switching to amazon.ca.

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 1:40:00 PM PST
T. Cook says:
"And they wonder why people are "stealing" them. "

Because they revert to being criminals when one store doesn't have what they want instead of using a different store?

Posted on Dec 9, 2014 1:38:17 PM PST
After switching to amazon.ca (stupid me) now I can't buy mp3s on amazon.com and of course they're not available on amazon.ca

And they wonder why people are "stealing" them.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 11:02:56 AM PST
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent link to the Kindle Daily Deal on amazon.ca? Or am I expected to go to the .com website, check what the daily deal is and then search for it on .ca to see if it is on sale for Canadians too?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 9:22:04 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
yes, it's possible to set up a paperwhite in Canada and South Africa and Sweden and Bolivia and most other countries - the only problem you might have is when you register it, it might default to amazon.ca

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 4:42:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 4:42:43 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:33:07 PM PST
JoJoPNW says:
@SueM and @DonnaBeeGood
It does look like all we can buy in Canada right now is the basic Kindle. I will baby my Kindle Keyboard. Another lesson learned about procrastination.

@Found Quilting had an idea about having a friend in the US buy it for me (would be bought as a "gift"), but I don't know if it is possible then to set it up in Canada.

Thx for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:18:51 PM PST
Unfortunately, as soon as you click on the purchase button Amazon will not let you buy a Paperwhite in Canada. I had to go through a different website entirely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:08:22 PM PST
Sue M says:
@JoJoPALS: I had responded in yesterday's FB&C Forum (page 3) and said I'd changed from Amazon.ca back to Amazon.com with no problem. However, I just logged into my account and Manage Your Kindle and when my listings of books came up at the bottom of the page it said something like all your books on Amazon.ca - so I guess I never was able to cancel and return.
However, I kept my Amazon.com Kindle Book store tab stored in my Favorites and for the last few weeks all the books I've purchased whether freebies or paid I got from that site. It didn't send me to Amazon.ca to purchase.
And on the Amazon.com site in reference to your saying you could not purchase a Kindle - I went through the process of all but buying a Paperwhite with absolutely no problems. So maybe you could see if just going back to Amazon.com site you could use your gift card.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:07:19 PM PST
I think once we've switched, we can't switch back anymore. But I think we can order the basic Kindle but that's all for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 12:40:20 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 1:00:36 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 12:20:46 PM PST
JoJo - Do you have a friend in the US that could purchase the Kindle and ship it to you?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:15:47 PM PST
JoJoPNW says:
Aaarrgh! No matter where I look, I can't seem to switch back from amazon.ca to http://amazon.com. I wanted to use up my gift card. And now it won't let me order a new Kindle from amazon.com to my canadian address and as far as I can see, Kindles aren't for sale on amazon.ca. I was saving to buy a backup Kindle Keyboard, and now I guess I waited too long.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 12:09:53 PM PST
I hope you can use it up.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 12:07:40 PM PST
Kristina says:
Thanks for the offer, Vickie! First, I'm going to go through my wish list and see what's still available to me on Amazon.com. I may be able to use up my gift cards before switching over to Amazon.ca.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 11:42:56 AM PST
If you want, I will purchase a Amazon.ca gift card for you in exchange for your Amazon.com gift card.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  107
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions