Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 25, 2013 5:43:23 AM PDT
T. Schiel says:
I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 over the Nexus because of the Micro SD slot and it was less expensive. I really like it...no, I haven't abandoned Amazon since I also have A Fire HD 8.9 and a Paperwhite. Now I'm covered for indoor and outdoor reading. It's almost summertime.

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 9:12:10 PM PDT
I thought I solved this debate once and for all by installing Android Jelly Bean 4.2 onto the Kindle Fire (not HD). But it still won't play Amazon Video or, I'm assuming, the Kindle Freetime app. Still, putting Jelly Bean onto a $100 Fire is a great option and we can hope for updates from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 8:45:27 PM PST
Firefox beta will fix that. I enjoy all of my prime stuff. except the lend me books. but who cares about that anyway?

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:22:56 PM PST
Buck9s says:
I bought the Fire HD and love it. I do miss having full access to Google Play, but the HMDI out, Amazon Video On Demand (w/ Prime), kids Freetime Unlimited and the vastly better speakers make it the right choice for me and my family. Freetime Unlimited is the best thing to happen to a tablet ever (if you have kids).

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:45:44 PM PST
C. Mckay says:
so which tablet is the bwst to get full wifi on the road,,,everywhere.. I got the Kindle fire hd and am very disappointed.. I couldn't do anything on the road... I need to reutrn it soon..so which is the best for everything...wifi and speech to search..etc??/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:41:54 PM PST
C. Mckay says:
which onw r u talking about??

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:06:43 AM PST
I switched from an original Fire to a Nexus 7 when they were first released several months ago and like the Nexus 7 much better. The new Fire HD has raised the bar with its improved audio and display but I don't use mine for watching video. So, for my uses, the Nexus 7 is still a better choice. I'd say that if you want Amazon Instant Video, go with the Fire HD. Otherwise, go with the Nexus 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:43:35 PM PST
D.L.C says:
Correction:

You can't watch Amazon Prime Video at the highest quality. You can watch a lower quality via Flash browser. It's not pretty, but it does work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:42:05 PM PST
D.L.C says:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN watch Amazon video on the Nexus 7. It merely requires you to stream it via flash which is easily gained via side installing the APK and installing firefox beta.

That said, the quality is reduced and it's choppy at times.

If your key requirement is accessing Amazon Media, get the Kindle Fire HD. If it's not, get the Nexus 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:21:21 PM PST
Numan says:
i could turn this on in android with talkback but that this meant as an accessibility feature.

for "real" experience of audio books i would download the audible app which i use on all my android devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:23:37 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
real TTS for first run books... can you download a best seller and use TTS on the Nexus? No.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:22:00 PM PST
Numan says:
text-to-speech ---> fully baked into android. also google now's tts is the best i've seen across platforms.

x-ray --> very cool feature which i wish comes to google tv

free time --> android 4.2 has multiple user account that supersedes this functionality

better entertainment ecosystem --> debatable when you have play, youtube, hbo, netflix, spotify etc on play store. not to mention games where play store has more selection of games and n7 has better gpu for high end games. plus there is google tv...

easier interface for non-technies --> my mom uses nexus 7 everyday and for her the "internet" is mostly facebook :) (iow she is as non technie as you can get)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:23:45 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Text to speech, X-ray, Free Time, HDMI, anti-glare lamination, dual wifi antenna, better entertainment ecosystem, easier interface for non-techies, no worries about learning an OS to use the device...

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:17:49 PM PST
Numan says:
beside watching amazon prime video i can't think of anything else you can't do on a nexus 7. on the other hand, there are tons of things from both software and hardware that are missing on fire hd. its a very easy choice :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:43:31 AM PST
D.L.C says:
Perhaps but the nexus 7 let's you connect flash drives. 64 gb of flash drive is a lot of movies. Amazon disable USB hosting on the fires.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:42:17 AM PST
D.L.C says:
Flash installs but it's not pretty on the nexus 7. Also need either Xscope browser or Firefox beta to run flash. Chrome does not support it.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:03:11 AM PST
C. Yang says:
I love my 1st Gen Fire but another thing to keep in mind, the Nexus will get updated the Fire will more than likely not. Once the product cycle is over it seems Amazon will no longer update it, at least so far. My last update was IN MAY! It works fine but some of the new features like FreeTime would be great. I also worry since the Kindle App is built in no new features will follow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:46:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 2:47:25 PM PST
Buy what you like/can afford. I vastly prefer the Fires myself for what I want to do.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 2:43:15 PM PST
The Kindle HD is basically a media consumption device designed to be used on Amazon with the secondary use of being a general tablet. So it's better for reading your books or watching Amazon videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:40:28 AM PST
Sarida says:
Seeing the Nexus and Fire HD side-by-side at Staples made me think the Fire would be better simply for the viewing. The screen was fantastic!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:11:45 AM PST
dharris says:
Is the itunes store available on Kindle Fire HD?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:47:32 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Not unless you can get Flash to work on it or until Amazon releases an app for Android.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:39:27 AM PST
Lisa says:
There is no way to see amazon prime videos on the nexus 7, is that right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:53:01 AM PST
Brian B. says:
Thanks for your help making making my decision guys. I will bite the bullet and go with the Nexus 7 and hope the learning curve is not too steep.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:17:16 AM PST
rickh57 says:
I've had not wifi issues with my Nexus. It's worked fine both at home and at work and the speed is as good or better than I saw with my Fire. My router is only a single band 802.11n, so having the extra band of the HD wouldn't make any difference. If you have a dual band router, that might make a difference for you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions