Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Wed. Jan. 16, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:10:37 PM PST
ebook addict says:
Don't remember seeing these posted. Since they are from today's kinlib, going to post here even though tomorrow has been started. If still free tomorrow, will copy over in case someone misses them here.

Party Hardy
Whether you're hosting the next Super Bowl Sunday party or throwing a birthday bash with a bunch of teenagers, get rave reviews on all your culinary creations when you use these easy, crowd-pleasing recipes.

Turn a Friday video night into an impromptu evening at the movies or turn the kids' Saturday sleepover into something special with snacks and treats they're sure to love.

Whatever the occasion, it's certain to be a fun and festive event with your sure-to-please snacks, nibbles and dishes. The nice thing about this recipe collection is that they make up quickly and use ingredients you probably have on hand.

This one sounds very interesting, story of a woman surviving attack by a mountain lion.

Skin Deep
`As I look into my compact mirror hoping to see a familiar reflection, I am stunned when a stranger stares back at me. This is not the face I know so well. I am looking at the handiwork of a mountain lion; he ambushed me while I was biking in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park on January 8th, 2004. My neck sustained almost forty deep bite wounds and my mangled face was pieced together using more than 200 stitches and staples.' - Anne Hjelle.

'Skin Deep' tells the incredible true story of one woman's battle survival following a vicious mountain lion attack and the daunting emotional and physical challenges she faced during her recovery.

In moving detail, Anne Hjelle's describes her transformation from a wounded victim to a survivor, a women who managed to come to terms with her new identity, and learned to live by the words `feed your faith, not your fear'.

From her first surgery, to the day she went back to Cactus Hill Trail- the scene of her near death experience, Anne tells all in this captivating and evocative personal account which will both move and terrify you from the first page to the last.

'Skin Deep' is an inspiring personal story of tragedy and renewal, a book about what is important in life and about the nature of beauty.

There are more details at www.annehjelle.com.

Anne Hjelle is originally from Apple Valley, Minn., but came to live in California while serving in the United States Marine Corps as a helicopter mechanic. Anne has worked in the fitness industry as a personal trainer for the past 16 years. She is a regular public speaker telling the story of surviving the mountain lion attack, and of her life journey thereafter.

Damien Lewis is an award winning and internationally best-selling British author, published in some thirty-six languages worldwide. He has co-authored several powerful and compelling memoirs with women, including the acclaimed international number one best-seller 'Slave' co-written with Mende Nazer

Greg Hardesty is a well-known journalist, trail runner and outdoor enthusiast in Orange County, California. He has been an award-winning reporter for nearly 25 years, covering general news, crime and business for the Orange County Register for the last 13 years.

Endeavour Press is the UK's leading independent digital publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:39:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:43:01 PM PST
@Kathy

Thanks for that info... I just woke up from my nap (DH called from work) and was catching up on the thread when another incident happened. I tried what you shared and it WORKED~!! YEAH... They plan on doing an echocardiogram soon, so maybe that will provide some insight as to the cause. "Your" medical license and info was better than any I got last night~! Thanks for sharing. :)

Marilyn

ETA Finally got to your post about falling. I am so sorry to hear about that. I know it is scary and embarrassing and that part sucks.. but I did get a chuckle about the litter box. That would be my luck too. :) Hopefully alleve and time will help... and some day you can look back and chuckle too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:30:57 PM PST
@OR Fiddler

Thanks for the head's up on the book. I remember seeing it and for some reason didn't 1-click since I usually get anything set in our area. It's on my wish list now. :)

Also thanks for the hugs and prayers...they are always appreciated. :)

Marilyn

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:31:55 PM PST
JudyD says:
It's just about 11:30 p.m., EST, so come on over to the FREE Books and Chat for Thursday thread any time now. Ya'll come down now, ya hear?

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=TxD7FCMHC5TB5N

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:19:37 PM PST
ebook addict says:
@Special ed teacher, that is a good one. Never heard anything like that before, & from your mom no less.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:39:36 PM PST
Josie says:
Helen - Thanks for listing the uke book. I just ordered a ukulele--don't ask me why, except my hands are too small to play my guitar, so I wanted to try to learn to play something smaller--so this book came at an opportune time for me.

Kathy - That is why my kitty litter box will never ever be in the bathroom! I'm glad you're all right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:28:33 PM PST
4Nbahu says:
@Oregon Dreamer, I am so happy you got a diagnosis that can be treated, wishing you a fast discovery of cause. Take the time to rest and recharge your batteries.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:03:01 PM PST
@Kathy and Oregon Dreamer - Hugs and prayers going your way.

I recently finished a book I got free in October - NOT FREE NOW Sara's Game. The fact that it was set in Portland, Oregon, was a bonus for me. Just wanted to give a heads up that I really enjoyed this book. It is definitely a thriller - I was afraid sometimes that it might get to be too much of a thriller - but it turned out to be just right. I recommend it.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:59:54 PM PST
Grammiam says:
A few picks today...

My Dog's Got Fleas - kids

Good Eating's Quick Breads: A Collection of Convenient and Unique Recipes for Muffins, Scones, Loaves and More

Eternity's Sunrise (A New Doc Palfrey Thriller)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:22:14 PM PST
B Farrell says:
Just checking in to say hi to everyone. Been super busy today making pork tamales and watching my 14 month old granddaughter. That was a hard thing to do both at the same time cause she is into everything. Thanks for posting free bees cause I haven't been able to look at all today! Maybe now I will since she finally conked out for the night.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:58:01 PM PST
(((Kathy))) be careful

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:56:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:08:54 PM PST
GrammaKathy says:
I had an interesting and scary afternoon. I got out of the shower, got off balance and ended up in the litter box....gross. My daughter had come home from work early and she helped me get up. No Mom wants her grown daughter to see her wet, naked/towel and on the floor unable to get up. Got up, back in the shower (remember litter box all over). I'm so thankful I don't live alone. {{{HUGS}}}

ETA - my right side is pretty sore but thankfully I didn't seem to do any permanent harm/breakage. My grandson thought it was hilarious that I ended up in the litter box.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:50:04 PM PST
GrammaKathy says:
Marilyn, I had A Fib. They put in an internal cardio defibulator (ICD). It saved my life many times over the years. If you feel your heart flip-flopping, take a deep breath and cough really, really hard, two or three times. That will usually get it back in rhythm. Repeat if it continues and seek help. You also want to sit down as you do this. This is just from experience and my WallyWorld medical license.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:45:48 PM PST
Well guys... the doc told me that AF was like running mini marathons since my heart rate shoots up to 160 - 175 bpm. My little marathons are pretty much non stop and he said that is why I feel the need to zonk out all the time. My eyes are having trouble staying open so I think it is time for one of my power naps. Catch up with you all later. :)
chin hitting chest.. drool starts flowing... zzzzzzz

Marilyn

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:37:15 PM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Helen,soooooooooooo feeling for you right now. Never ceases to amaze me how much yuck my body can produce in self-defense, way more than my head should hold...have been known to yell at mirror, "sure, you fight this hardnow to produce tons of useless crud,, but you couldnt muster up the effort to fight off the little buggers in the first place?" Here's hoping you dry up soon....

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:26:04 PM PST
Well the congestion is easing off, thank goodness. But the coughing/hacking continues. My throat is not sore or irritated but once I start coughing it escalates. And buy stock in Kleenex because I am producing copious amounts of, how to put it delicately, mucus. I really believe my brain is liquefying because where could all this come from? There is not that much stuff in my head. I did survive work this evening. No choice, no sick leave on this job.

Courtney, Good Start
KayKay, glad the little one is coping with her bad foot.
Zoo, hope the sleep cycle evens out soon.
Oregon Dreamer, now you have the hard part behind you, you have a diagnosis. Stay positive. May things get better from here on out.

I did manage to find a few picks. Mucus and coughing will not stay my clicking finger.
The Indian Nations A Will Cannon, Bounty Hunter, Western Adventure Novel A Western
Pinkie Jane Designs Crochet Fingerless Gloves Pattern eBook (The Full Collection) Not a quirky craft. This one makes sense
Applique Patterns Another handy craft book
Eternity's Sunrise (A New Doc Palfrey Thriller) OMG! I remember reading these books in my teen years (Doc Savage, Doc Palfey, what can I say, I needed glasses)
Ukulele Mastery Simplified: How Anyone Can Quickly Become a Strumming, Chords and Melodic Uke Ninja Who aspires to be a uke ninja?

And for E. Timmie, gardening books
The How to Book on Building a Raised Garden Bed: Growing Luscious Vegetables, Fruits & Vibrant Flowers / The Thriving Soil System (The Jonah Green Gardening Series)
Worm Composting - Woodworking Plans & Worm Bin Ideas for Use in Organic Gardening Inge would like for me to do this. She considers dried worms the canine equivalent of scent strips. I have caught her numerous times rubbing her face and shoulder on the cement. When I call her, there is usually a dried worm stuck to her fur.

***cough***hack***blow nose like an elephant***cough***hack***
Helen

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:20:30 PM PST
bethcross says:
Hi everyone - just getting here today. Better late than not at all, right?

After looking through the first page of freebies, I had to remind myself I'm not posting from the Archives until I start seeing banners from THIS year. A lot of today's books I had picked up last year and they just remind me I have a LOT of reading to do!

Grave Truths
The Devil's Metal (Devils #1)
Entangled, YA Paranormal Romance (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
The Katherine Flynn Trilogy Bundle (Curiosity Killed The Kat, The Game is On, A Date With The Devil)
The Chocolatier's Journal
The Den (Book #1 in the Vampire's Witch Saga)
The Grimm Chronicles, Vol. 1
Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Cozy Mystery)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:55:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:57:18 PM PST
KayKay says:
The most memorable advice I ever received was this.:
If you put bears in the woods, then there will be bears in the woods.
Why so memorable - because I heard it at every lecture for whatever I had done wrong for years. And there is no discussion in a lecture. So I spent the next 30 years trying to figure it out.
Meaning - if you think it is wrong - it probably is.
&/ OR/ ALSO
- I you start out afraid and looking for trouble then you are more likely to find it. :)

Thanks for starting Courtney!
A few belated anniversaries and a birthday I believe and thanks for keeping gd in thoughts. Been a few creative days around here. Its still swollen about 3 times what it should be and a glorious array of colors. Thankfully she doesn't seem to be suffering the way she was in the beginning. But still a long way to go.

Hope you all are having a good week. Another Dr appt and xray tomorrow so if I don't check in just know I will be here the weekend.

Anyone heard from SDR? Nospin? Chaya? and I few others - I'm really too tired to think right now. C-Bird (( )) - feel better soon. Robb & Lynn - enjoy vacation but know while happy for you that you are missed as well. :) Elizabeth SH - she moving this week?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:10:57 PM PST
KayKay says:
http://us.kinlib.com/new/b7e8/ 434

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:05:01 PM PST
Irish M says:
Thanks for starting, Courtney! I am way too tired to even go look for free books.

Waves hi to Charlie! Feel better soon!

Marilyn - Sending you some more good thoughts!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:57:35 PM PST
Scarlett859 says:
WOO HOO! Think I finally got the kindle address all figured out and working.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:45:35 PM PST
Advice my Mom gave me "Always keep your toilet clean, you never know when your head will be in it."

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:40:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 3:45:17 PM PST
LKS says:
~OrDreamer~SOOOOOOOOO, glad you weren't having warnings of a heart attack. The medical pro's on here can tell you all about it, I am sure. I personally know of four friends and family members who have been diagnosed with A Fib and most are taking med's very successfully. Prayers and ((((((((((Marilyn))))))))!

~C.Bird~Please take care of you! Hope you're feeling better, soon. It's not easy to concentrate on classes, when you are not feeling up to par. Prayers & ((((((((c.bird))))))))

ETA C.Bird wishes

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:22:12 PM PST
Leo Little says:
@charlie bird....missed your posts......hope you get to feeling better soon...take care...and post every once in a while just to let us know you're still knocking around the school books and collecting pumpkin recipes....lol

Leo

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:18:43 PM PST
Hello all. Sorry it took me so long to respond to all your posts. I went in to ER last night and although they wanted to admit me, I convinced them to let me go home about 6AM this morning. So nice to be able to sleep in my own bed ( I just woke up a little bit ago... wow must have worn me out). It turns out that I have a very common condition called atrial fibrillation (A Fib), but now they just have to find out what is causing the problem. It was a huge relief to know that it wasn't a heart attack. I have a follow-up appt with my doc next week so we shall see what tests she decides to run. The ER doc told me not to worry, so I am trying hard to ignore the sensations of my heart trying to flop out of my chest. hahaha... this will take some getting used to I think. From what I have learned so far I think it can be controlled with meds, but I *do* need to find out why this started and address that issue. I am sure there are nurses here that can share their knowledge and advice if they want... I am receptive to learning all that I can.
Thank you all for your concern and prayers... it has been a huge comfort to me to know you are out there sending good vibes and healing thoughts. :)

Marilyn
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4828 3 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2745 3 minutes ago
kindle forum posting 59 7 minutes ago
Echo Music Shuffle Broken 51 10 minutes ago
Battery Draining when Kindle Powered Off 27 18 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9413 34 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4227 36 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 593 38 minutes ago
My Kindle is frozen and won't reset or turn off. 71 50 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 183 50 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions