Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle fire stuck in landscape

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 78 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2015 8:30:16 AM PDT
J. M. Furman says:
Thanks, mine was locked. The padlock icon unlocked it

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2015 10:08:34 AM PDT
countryman says:
I agree, customer support is usually pretty good, but they missed this one, but your tip is invaluable and explains why I was able to produce the menu on occasions. My frustrations started on an aircraft after a 5 hour delay and trying to read in the early hours of the morning on a long flight. Many thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2015 8:58:33 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you're welcome - in defense of Customer Support, they probably were reading from a script of sorts and presumed that you knew to slide up on the menu (there are several that require this method even in portrait view)

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2015 8:20:20 AM PDT
countryman says:
would think would you not, that Amazon should have been able to tell me this, how simple could it be? Thank you so much for your advice, I hope this will free up all the other people in my position. Thanks again CBRetriever

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2015 8:06:08 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
the option is still there, you simply have to place your finger on the menu that comes up (in a blank space) when you have a book open and gently slide upwards - the whole menu does not show in landscape mode and that option is on the lower, hidden portion

Posted on May 31, 2015 8:03:11 AM PDT
countryman says:
I think there is some confusion here between Kindle and Kindle Fire. I have both. The kindle fire rotates automatically and can be locked whereas the straight kindle will only rotate from portrait to landscape in the reading pages and will do this by tapping the menu button, top right and choosing either option in the dropdown menu. My kindle will no longer do this as the dropdown menu no longer offers me this option, and I have just spent two hours with the help of Amazon doing every kind of rejig you could think of. With no result! so I,m stuck with my paperwhite kindle in landscape mode. Amazon will replace a faulty kindle if it is within warranty but mine is not, so there you have it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2015 12:04:15 PM PDT
Kristina H. says:
I've tried holding power button for 30 seconds and when it turns on it starts in portrait but then immediately goes to landscape. I don't have a Settings icon (gear at the top right). I searched Settings and in My Stuff I went to Settings, Accessibility, Closed Captioning Preferences and Keyboard none of which had a Lock or Unlock option for orientation. Any other suggestions?

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 4:47:42 PM PST
Holky says:
I got a programme calked free movies box and it made my screen wide screen I cannot get it back to how it was before?!! Any help please as doing my nut!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2014 6:40:50 PM PDT
DF says:
Thank u so much! I had this problem too and it was driving me nuts!

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 2:16:17 PM PDT
Mimi says:
My kindle fire hdx is smashed. I can turn it on but cannot get it unlocked. It remains in the special offer page. I have tried holding the power button for 30 seconds but the problem remains. Is there a way to erase all data before sending it back?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2014 9:56:19 PM PDT
THANK YOU!!!!!

Posted on May 30, 2014 1:29:54 PM PDT
mollykat13 says:
I have a kindle paperwhite stuck in landscape mode. I can't find the lock symbol you mention and I don't have a gear icon. There is the goodreads icon and then the icon with the 3 horizontal lines on the right. I have restarted from within settings and from the power button. It was fine when I went to bed and the next morning it was stuck in landscape. I only have books loaded on it at this time. I can't figure this out. This the newest version of the paperwhite. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 7:43:54 PM PDT
Thank you Bruce Boyle!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2014 2:38:45 PM PDT
Jon Bastian says:
Well that was remarkably simple, helpful, and good to know. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 4:43:53 PM PST
I've had this problem more than once. It's very frustrating and I've been tempted to return the Kindle, as I just got it in January. I was able to figure out about holding the power button in for an extended period of time would finally get a reaction from the Kindle Fire HDX.

I've found it happens after I've added multiple apps, but I don't think I'm anywhere near the max app space of 8 gig. I've gotten very familiar with the OS and am can find what type of apps are taking up a certain amount of space, as well as music, movies, etc. Even if I'm not close to the maximum storage capacity I've found removing apps that I don't frequently use from the device allows the Kindle to run faster, smoother, and it no longer locks up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 4:25:17 PM PST
Thank you for posting this tip! I'm so relieved that I don't have to do a full factory reset.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 9:04:17 AM PST
Richard says:
Boyle answered my question also. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 2:50:29 PM PST
I just want to ask, is someone getting 'stuck in landscape' a geek euphemism for something?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2013 1:32:02 PM PST
Lady.Luck.71 says:
This worked like a charm. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 10:41:58 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you don't scroll down, you swipe down from the top of the screen or from the two little bars if you're in a game or by tapping in the center of the page and then swiping down if you're in a book

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:54:21 PM PDT
Becca.T. says:
I cant get my kindle off of landscape, i held dosn the power button for 30 seconds and it didnt work, it wont let me scroll down to see if its locked or to go to my settings. Helpp!!! How do i get it off of landscape???

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2013 9:12:02 AM PDT
If your Kindle Fire is your second (or more) Kindle, click your name (eg "James Second Kindle") in the upper left hand corner. That will take you to settings. Click "unlock" in the upper left hand tool bar. That will do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 9:16:22 AM PDT
Stephanie says:
Thank you! This totally just helped me solve my godmother's kindle issue!

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 7:39:08 PM PDT
My web browser is stuck in landscape and its not lock

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 1:39:03 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
It can be useful - I had one app that insisted on being upside down no matter which way I flipped my screen - a screen lock held it in place
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 6553 15 seconds ago
Kindle FreeTime Questions 40 21 minutes ago
Book Reviews; Multiple choice options are INANE! 0 29 minutes ago
How long does your kindle take to charge? 218 39 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 1945 53 minutes ago
Select Covers Won't Show Up on Android App Carousel 0 59 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - February 2016 377 1 hour ago
How to transfer my own azw3 files into iPad Kindle app? 41 1 hour ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 537 1 hour ago
Kindle Fire - Set home page? 28 1 hour ago
Kindle fire hd 3 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 18, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions