Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

why does my kindle not do that cool page turn animation?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:28:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 11:11:23 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
It's called "Page Curl" and you can turn it on and off under the Aa control for magazines that are designed to work like paper, not the ones that work like apps. It works on my 8.9, but not on my year-old (not HD) Fire.

If you're sure your friend wasn't showing off a magazine, I would be interested in what book it was.

ETA: Maybe I should specify what I mean by paper vs app. National Geographic is an example of paper. On my old Fire, there was a choice of page vs text view. On the 8.9, there isn't that option, but when you tap the list icon, it goes to an active TOC that scrolls vertically. In normal view, you can view one page when in portrait or two-page spread in landscape. The original page layout shows, including ads. The ONLY option under Aa is Page Curl On/Off.

National Review works like an app. There is a vertical-scrolling TOC, but the pages are a text presentation without any ads...and you can adjust many things under the Aa key, but not curl.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:15:11 PM PST
Anne Shirley says:
1) return Kindle
2) buy iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:30:03 PM PST
Dorsie says:
Look at it this way. The page turn animation might be cool, but it wastefully uses charge to do it. All of these devices have batteries that cannot be replaced by the user. If you make a life decision that you can live without the page turn animation, your Kindle's total battery live could increase by a factor of two or more, depending on your reading habits. You will also save electricity, most of which comes from fossil fuels.

Extension of the battery life of your Kindle will help the environment in ways most of us don't even know. It will also stop the indiscriminate use of rare earth minerals, which currently are in very short supply except in China an Afghanistan.

In addition, after two weeks without the animation, your brain will forget what it even looked like. So be an environmentally conscious patriot and learn to value other aspects of your Kindle more.

I don't mean this to be dismissive of your preference at all. I do mean to point out that these little pretty electronic googahs are things we can learn to do without. I set all of my devices to use minimal graphics, and I don't miss them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:52:02 PM PST
For books?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:33:06 PM PST
Could it be different for books and magazines? Or maybe even dependent on the file type -- azw/azw3?

The Nook HD+ has page turn animation for magazines, but not for books (or at least not for any books I've looked at).

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:56:02 PM PST
Tracy Toth says:
It's the fire HD 7in and my cousin just got one for christmas and hers does it..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:46:38 PM PST
Yeah, but you got the link!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:45:56 PM PST
Man! You beat me again, M! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:45:37 PM PST
There is not a way to do this one the kindle fire, if that's the kindle you're talking about. An eink kindle wouldn't have the graphics technology to begin with.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/16/tech/innovation/apple-page-turn-patent/index.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:44:05 PM PST
It is not likely to happen. Apple now has a patent on the page-turn animation.

Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 6:42:24 PM PST
Tracy Toth says:
I know it's crazy to be upset that my kindle don't do the page animation thing... but that's what I want. Please let me know if there is a way to fix this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
CAN'T Amazon make a system of notification for Ebooks about to be PULLED/DISCONTINUED? 118 36 seconds ago
is there an app for that? 5892 1 minute ago
Back-Up 14 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 2030 2 minutes ago
my computer Kindle App stopped working! 0 5 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 9351 6 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 520 7 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage - Documented Issues 404 8 minutes ago
January 2015 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 520 14 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions