Upgrading my kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:53:39 AM PST
Off to the store then tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:52:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 7:53:00 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
not really as you won't have the internet capabilities or be able to download apps

and sometimes your internet provider will supply one for free

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:54:02 AM PST
I strongly suggest getting your own router. The ones internet providers supply are not only much more expensive, they're far inferior. They often use the 802.11g standard instead of the 802.11n standard that's been the common one for years now.

Also the $35 router you get from Walmart or Amazon is easier to set up.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:52:06 AM PST
I've got Kindle on my PC and have always been able to link the device to it using a USB cable. Surely this should still work?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:16:08 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
you'll need to get a router to attach to your internet system in order to provide wifi (kindle is kindle useless w/o it) - you might check with your internet provider and see if they offer one (I use Orange and my livebox has wifi)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:12:27 AM PST
No, everything is hardwired.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:11:40 AM PST
Thanks; I now have an iPhone not an Android but don't see any problems there

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:00:33 AM PST
Sarida says:
Do you have wireless in your home?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:46:34 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I haven't had any problems finding third party apps for what I want - I recommend getjar and 1mobile for free apps and then look through amazon's offerings and see if you can find one you want elsewhere

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:41:28 AM PST
The media's not a big problem. IIRC that reuires a US account? and 3rd party aps aren't a problem, as long as i can transfer what I have and continue to purchase. Looks like I'll go ahead then

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:35:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 5:35:45 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
yes, but you wouldn't be able to get any apps from amazon (I use third party apps) or purchase/stream any media

you just register it to your same account and you might want to keep the old kindle for outdoor reading

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:27:33 AM PST
i'm very happy with my old Kindle, however it has shortcomings, particularly if i'm trying to study a map, so i'd like to upgrade to a Fire.
Unfortunately Amazon won't ship one to me in the Netherlands, although i have seen them in stores in the UK. If I bought one there would I still be able to link it to my (Dutch) account?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:29:26 AM PST
The account is connected to the people on the account and not the devices. Devices can come and go but the account stays the same. If you order a new Kindle it will come already on your account. You go to Manage Your Kindle and remove the old one if you won't be using it any longer.

Your one-click purchasing info stays with the account, too, and a new device is meaningless.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:22:51 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
after you've bought a new one, you register it to the same account and all your books will be available for download to the new kindle

I seriously doubt that amazon would give you a discount for a 3 year old kindle, but you could try contacting them using the Help link above, clicking on the Contact Us button, logging in, selecting your kindle and kindle type then choosing either Chat or Call me and speak with an Amazon representative

Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 4:09:58 AM PST
nalini says:
I have a Kindle which is about 3 years old. The screen is now faulty and I wuld have to get a new one. How do I do this and keep my old kindle account.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions