Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can't play downloaded movies without wifi connection.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2014 11:56:12 AM PDT
It may be that the second one didn't download all the way.

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 11:54:03 AM PDT
Heather Parr says:
I'm having the same problem... I downloaded 2 movies yesterday, and today the first one played fine without wifi, but the second movie won't play unless I connect to wifi. I'm also accessing the movies through the device, not cloud.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 10:08:54 AM PDT
King Al says:
Nothing has changed. Amazon has always required a periodic connection to wi-fi to authenticate the license.

Posted on May 20, 2014 10:06:39 AM PDT
Jilaine says:
I am having the exact same issue on my Ipad. I downloaded Frozen for my kids to watch on long car rides. It used to work perfectly. Then today, in the car, I go to play my owned, downloaded version and it says "you need wifi to play this title" that has NEVER been the case. What happened Amazon? What did you change? If this is a new standard I will expect a refi on my digital copy so I can buy the hard copy (with a legit digital copy from Disney). I'm very disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 6:59:30 PM PDT
Did you read Heidi's advice?

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 2:19:43 PM PDT
P. Caicedo says:
I am having the exact same problem on an Ipad. The main reason for buying a video from Amazon Instant Video is so you can download them and watch them without having to be conncted. I wish I knew this before spending my money in purchasing digital videos from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2013 3:40:33 PM PDT
Thank you....i never would have known. Really obvious but not to me, you're. A lifesaver!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 11:40:44 PM PDT
That was the workaround someone figured out at the time. And the "start at home" part didn't mean you'd gather everyone with popcorn. It just meant play a few minutes. You could RE-play from the beginning, later.

But glad you figured it out!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 10:33:57 PM PDT
R. Hobbs says:
A lot of the replies say to make sure you are connected to the "device" instead of the "cloud". Or re-setting your factory settings. Not necessary. My movie was showing up on the cloud and I saw no directions on how to get it to the device from the cloud. All you have to do is access it on the cloud and then hit download. That will download it to the device and enable you to watch it from either one. I figured since we had been watching it at home it was already downloaded. Thought it was weird that no one mentioned that before but had all kinds of tricks like starting the movie before you leave the house where you have wifi and then watching the rest of it when you are in the car. Who wants to start it from home before you even want to watch it just so that it plays later?

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:33:53 PM PDT
dentonmyhead says:
An earlier post had it correct. If you don't have wifi, turn off the wifi in device settings. Then search for your video and it should launch from device.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 10:33:25 AM PDT
Oh, I must have misunderstood. Thanks for explaining. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 10:24:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2013 10:26:17 AM PDT
I think Heidi is likely right, and I do recall something somewhere about after you've downloaded the movie, PLAY a few minutes of it, just a few minutes, then go on your way.

When you go to watch the movie later, you choose Play From Beginning. I've not done this, but that's what I seem to recall.

ETA: *ECho ECho ECho (I already said this, previously) Whoops. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 10:22:45 AM PDT
These are already downloaded to her device, as I understand it. It's the playback that won't work right.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 10:17:23 AM PDT
Heidi Kelley says:
Kelly:

Make sure when you are in the car (for example) that you have switched over viewing from WiFi to DEVICE. I had the same problem the first time I tried to watch a movie while flying. I was frustrated but never realized that I was trying to access wifii to view and not the device. The movie is saved to cloud/device. Be sure you flip the switch and you will have no problems :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 9:46:54 AM PDT
Did you go over your limit? Or have you reached your monthly limit for 3G?

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 9:43:01 AM PDT
This is ridiculous. I was able to watch downloaded items then all of a sudden it won't allow it without wifi. I agree that Amazon needs to fix it or refund my money.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 6:19:47 AM PST
There was *something* quite a while back, here in the fora somewhere, but I don't have the fortitude to search for it ... maybe someone will see this and remember what I'm remembering...

But there was something about to get downloaded movies to play OFF wi-fi (which they should, obviously), WHILE you were still at home (or wherever the wi-fi is coming from), AFTER the movie is downloaded, you PLAY like 3 minutes of that movie.

Someone may refute/confirm this but, that was the work-around. Play a few minutes of the movie WITHIN wi-fi range, BEFORE you get in the car. *Something* like that...

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 6:08:02 AM PST
amy e sharon says:
I have the same issue with needing wifi to watch downloaded movies. I brought my kindle fire with me to my dads doctors appointment knowing the tests he would be taking would take all day. I thought a long day sitting in the waiting room would be made a little easier because I could watch my downloaded movies and kill time. Boy was I wrong! When I first used my kindle fire I never had this problem but now it's non stop warning mssgs stating wiring needed. Sounds a lot like bait and switch to me. I've tried deleting history and no luck. I will not reset to default because it shouldn't be necessary. Amazon knows the issue and is purposely neglecting the issue or it would be fixed by now. So much for quality and customer satisfaction. Paying more money for a ipad for peace of mind in knowing what I purchased will work as it should. I will never purchase another kindle or device similar as long as customer service from Amazon ignores the issues they are made aware of. It doesn't take months to fix this.

tion. Will never waste my money on another kindle when ipads don't have this issue. Being able to occupy your time with movies during g a time of long waiting

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 7:45:01 AM PST
Heidi Kelley says:
I went to the Amazon Help for Kindle HD and discovered a simple explanation for why this might be happening to some people.
Make sure you are not pointing to the "cloud". You have two options - cloud or device. I tested it and it worked.
My settings to access my downloaded videos was set to "cloud"...hence, asking for wifi...
To test I turned off my wifi and switched to point to "device"...
Played videos just fine. Check to be sure you are accessing your downloads on the device itself otherwise it requires the wifi. This makes absolute sense and I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 3:46:01 PM PST
That is exactly what happened to me on a long trip back from Italy only I had downloaded a TV series from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 2:28:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 11, 2013 3:45:31 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 2:24:22 PM PST
Heidi Kelley says:
I took my kindle HD on my first trip after downloading episodes of my favorite show. I paid Amazon 14.99 for the episodes, watched one at home and anxiously launched the next episode on the plane. No luck. Needs wifi? WTH? This is why I bought the Kindle HD with all of the storage I could possible purchase and then I can't watch a simple show! Thank goodness I had downloaded a book to read otherwise it would have been a very long plane ride. Disappointed and by the looks of it..this is very common error.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 9:17:04 AM PST
No, I did not see that when I was having issues. I used the support e-mail. Originaly I got back a resonse that they were aware of the issue and working on it. Then when I reported again they offered to refund my movies. But then I found out from someone about doing the reset back to factory settings and that seems to have worked. I would be curious what there tech people would say about it. Please post there response if you use them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 7:44:04 AM PST
Have you contacted Kindle Customer service and used the "Call Me" or "Chat" option? Then you can troubleshoot the issue with them in real time...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 7:37:37 AM PST
Yes everything you have bought will still be there in the cloud, you'll just have to redownload it all though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
12 3 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
113 11 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 1554 2 minutes ago
calendar on kindle hd won't 'actually' sync with google calendar 52 5 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite won't hold charge 23 18 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 109 22 minutes ago
Kindle paperwhite won't turn on 82 30 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9576 46 minutes ago
FB&C - Wed/Thurs July 23-24/2014 12 49 minutes ago
KindleUnlimited missing feature 9 59 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions