Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to decide what to read first!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:27:45 PM PST
MamaSylvia says:
I moved last year, and for a week or so, we were living in the motor home. To keep myself entertained, ALL I had to make room for was one device, no larger than a single paperback. (My KK, of course.) I had dozens of books on it, so no matter what I felt like reading, I had a choice. Light-years better than previous moves!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:13:32 AM PST
Instant cred! :0)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:10:03 AM PST
Psylocide says:
I grow my own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:06:37 AM PST
LOL. My mom owns and has owned a wholesale floral warehouse all my life (45 years or so) and she buys directly from the growers in most cases. In high school I used to tell people my family has contracts with several growers in South America.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:03:35 AM PST
The citron does throw off the dogs' noses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:02:39 AM PST
My bad. Maybe I can send him a fruitcake or something as a kind of apology.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:00:32 AM PST
Dude. Manny is Guatemalan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:58:07 AM PST
Hey Folina,

When I called the number in your handle why did I get some guy with a thick Columbian accent ask if Rico had any problems at the border? And what is a "maldito idiota"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:56:44 AM PST
~*Squeee!*~

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:55:08 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Also, your own library that doesn't need a room to itself in the house. Doesn't need dusting. Doesn't need packing when you move. With you all the time, no matter where you are.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:48:59 AM PST
This. This is absolutely how I think of it. I have created my own personal bookstore for myself, my daughter, my son, and if they wanted to, my extended family if/when they get Kindles. I'm willing to share!! :0)

I *know* that I have no intention (nor years of life, probably) of reading EVERY book in that pile. But I thoroughly enjoy ~browsing~ them. "Oh! Look at that! I have 3 of that author." <download to Kindle>

"Oh! There's those Goblin's Apprentice books I snagged for the boy. He hasn't read those, yet. <download to Kindle>

"The girl said she finished Hunger Games... Ah! There. This little series is a similar genre." <download to Kindle>

It's like MY OWN LIBRARY!! And I can't tell you how gleeful that make me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:42:38 AM PST
"Victim"?!? No, no! "Proud Collector"!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:42:06 AM PST
:0) Awesome. That is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:39:54 AM PST
Wow, losing your vision? To a big reader like yourself? That must have been hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:38:00 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Gotcha!

I don't do the challenges anymore. The Shelfari groups I have use selected reads and I have my own personal reading/study projects. It is the books I plan - not the number of books in a period. (That is just because of what I am reading - not any value judgement about that approach. OK?) I "schedule" those books using page count to attempt to be reasonable. For example, one of the group selections was a 2000+ page 2 volume biography! That group scheduled, IIRC, that read to take 4 months. Just as we started, I lost my vision and started treatments for optic neuritis. Even though I also bought the associated audible.com versions of that book, I just could NOT focus while on those steroids. (Still a problem for me - that focus thing - although my vision has much improved.) Even when working through those non-trivial books, I ensure that I've left weekends free for the fun and fluff - mysteries, SF, Romance, etc.

Love discussions such as this. So many different styles and strategies that readers have!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:19:46 PM PST
Tyger0902 says:
I'm tagging them by page (ex. 1-100, 101-200, 201-300, etc) so I can read a lot of the shorter books next year to get them off MYK. Next year I'm still going to do the 12 x 12 but I'm going to read books with less than 300 pages then when I hit 144 I will go back and pick up some of the 300+ books. This year I've read about 55 books over 300+ pages with 15 over 500.

What I also do is all books I've read are going in the trash on Your Library so they are off MYK but I still have them. I have almost 300 in there now and hope to have more that the 144 for the challenge going there next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:57:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 9:02:16 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
I hear you! I am working through my entire Kindle Library at the moment to tag those editions on Shelfari as to which of my Kindle devices have that book; under which collection(s) that book may be found; authors, series-names (where applicable), generic book type (apart from collections); and, for DTBs, where the book is physically shelved in my house, etc. What do you use page-number tags for? That sounds interesting. On Shelfari, I use the page count from the Shelfari book page for my goals and reading stats.

All the while, I am receiving both K and DTB deliveries and ordering more.

I feel personally responsible, on occasion, for Amazon's business success and, infrequently, kind of guilty for being a Prime Member and receiving so many deliveries from Amazon at no shipping cost. Many of the deliveries will be books but I am using Amazon more and more for other purchases. Why? Well, it is true in most cases that Amazon prices are lower but, primarily, it allows me to avoid actual SHOPPING. (shudder) I only go "shopping" about every 2 months now - to pick up dairy and other perishables.

Other than that, if I need something, I find it online and, most often, from Amazon. My dogs and cats have regular food and litter deliveries (and the UPS hunk carries those huge bags inside for me!) I bought all my gardening equipment from Amazon this year. I buy almost all my household needs from Amazon or, at least, somewhere online when the shipping is free. If Amazon sold the goat food I wanted, I would be in heaven, I tell you, HEAVEN!

All that leaves me time to read (about 5-6 hours/day) AND to find, buy, and schedule future reading (just so I'll know how far I've deviated from plan) and catalog my library on Shelfari.

Life is good.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:43:47 PM PST
Tyger0902 says:
No DL,

My OCD tendencies lie a little further. First I have Goodreads and Shelfari. Second I was all finished a couple of months ago tagging my books (that I could keep up with the daily ones) that I got the idea from another poster (?) to go back tagging by page numbers. Now I'm still about 3,000+ behind again. <sigh>

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:44:48 PM PST
MamaSylvia says:
LOL at Dog Lover.

As an alternative to Kevin's plan: simply consider your Amazon account as your personal bookstore. This isn't original with me, someone else suggested it and I've found it a reasonable approach. Having a book on your account does not obligate you to read it, but makes it available if you do feel like reading it. I pick up free books that appeal to me, books that I think will appeal to a family member, books that cover a skill I'm interested in acquiring, books in series that I like, books in series that I've started picking up even though I haven't read the first book yet. If it turns out that I do like the series, I've saved money by picking up later books free; if I don't like the series, I haven't lost anything.

Everyone is different, and there is no "wrong" way to collect books/ebooks, but my mind boggles at people choosing to pass up free books that may interest them because of some self-imposed numerical limitation. That seems more OCD than picking up books when they don't cost anything, not even shelf space to store until you are ready to read them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:04:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 4:09:17 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Ah, I LOVE people who think this way.

Sorta like those who say "just" don't have sex.

Yours, book-hoarder extraordinaire,

DL

Note: My "problems" with this have nothing to do with the Kindle or eBooks in general. I was beyond control in book purchasing before that technology existed. "" [ I ] live for books. A sweet mission in this world dominated by disorder and decay.""

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:53:47 PM PST
In case of the Zombie Armageddon!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:32:03 PM PST
Kevin Monroe says:
Of course I do . . . That's how I came up with my two one-step programs. (now a two-step, one-step program. Thanks Charlene)

Step one took me a full calendar year. I didn't download a single book for a year, so I saved a years worth of book budget. I also read a whole boat load of good books I never would have gotten to otherwise. I currently have 9 unread books, but I know that if I want I could load my kindle up with freebies anytime. But why?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:22:19 PM PST
You really don't understand this book hoarding addiction some of us have acquired do you?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:07:39 PM PST
Kevin Monroe says:
You're right of course. Here's step 2:
2. Stop looking at advertising. And 2a. Don't look for a new book unless you have just finished reading a book

To repeat: There will alway be free (and discounted) books to download. In the future after you've completed step 1, there will be a free or discounted book available for download that you've always wanted to read. I know this makes your palms sweat, and your heart race, but it's ok not too buy something just because it's on sale.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:51:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:52:48 PM PST
No, that's no good.

I only pick up books that I really want to read.
Then come the sales-especially earlier this year when the Google Play deals were going on.
I picked up some awesome books for .25. (All of which I have read, except for one.)

Problem being when sales or freebies are going on, they only last a limited time. If it's something you've been wanting to read it's best for the budget to get it right then.

Certain publishers (Darkfuse and others) do some great deals, but for a limited time only. Again, strike while the iron is hot.

While I do understand what you're saying, everyone cannot always be painted with the same brush.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions