Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Wed. Jan. 9, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 341 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 11:53:23 AM PST
JudyD says:
LKS - that is a great story. My neighborhood has changed so much that yard sales are no longer a good idea, but can be done online :)

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 6:53:33 AM PST
LKS says:
~JudyD~ about a month after I got my 1st Kindle, my DIL was planning a large yard sale. I gave my 14 y.o. grandson 6 large boxes of DTBs. He was so excited. He made $28.00 and had some leftover for his next yardsale. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 12:53:10 AM PST
kestergayle says:
I usually read on the night setting. The page is black with white lettering. I have a less eyestrain that way. Also, try turning out any source of light near you...for me, reading in a darkened room with just the kindle fire for light is the most comfortable.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:38:30 PM PST
JudyD says:
Just now getting back to you all and thanks for the great links for tools, arthritis help and otherwise, and feedback and N4 for your comments. I too have far to many books. Will be trying to sell them soon. Since I got the Kindle, I don't want all of them hanging around anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 6:28:11 PM PST
JudyD says:
Thank @kestergayle. Will check them out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:02:28 PM PST
Great picture of a pinafore....
I remember when I was a child mom made all of her daughters and herself a dress,fitted top w/ short sleeves and a full shirt out of the same fabrib...White with pastel colored mushrooms on it...
My younger sister and I , being the youngest got pink pinafores to go with them..They were just like the one in the picture except that the hem line was scolloped...and the dresses were not full length...
That would have beenin the early to mid 60's... Mom still has hers...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 3:54:06 PM PST
dharts says:
Noooo, around here a pinafore is a ruffled full apron like Holly Hobby wears. Jumpers aren't open in the back like an apron. Here's a pinafore:
http://www.taylorsscarletthread.com/images/pinafore_enlarge.jpg

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:37:35 AM PST
Grammiam says:
OMG... Carla! You pay $225 for a sweater?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:21:28 AM PST
Suze says:
@ Oregon Dreamer,

1 little hand mixer for me too, I finally got a new one after using my MIL's old one for quite a few years! Older appliances were made to last, new ones aren't ....they want you to have to buy a new one every few years! Keep that old 1968 hand mixer going!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:42:13 AM PST
Thanks!!!

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 4:35:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 4:36:28 AM PST
Thurs thread is open...
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1P7F2RSLJC6Z0#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Not sure why but for some reason we just kept posting here last night...

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 4:31:22 AM PST
Is there a Thursday 1/10 thread?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 2:50:12 AM PST
Carla, Here a pinafore is more like a apron it's open in the back and you wear it over a dress...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:58:55 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ Carla yes but they are called sweaters
jumpers are dresses that are sleeveless and you wear a top underneath.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:57:56 AM PST
Carla says:
These are jumpers: http://www.casaveen.com.au/product.php?sup_cat=1&sub_cat=Jumpers

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:56:43 AM PST
Carla says:
That's a pinafore! I'd never have dreamt that's what I'd get if I asked for a jumper in the US! That's a new word for me for the day, lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:47:50 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ JudyD I already own about 3000 DTBs that hubby won't let me "share". Which is why I moved to the Kindle. I now only buy DTBs to either complete a series, children's books, or a really good cookbook. Hubby refuses to switch over. He has filled more areas of his parents house (when we moved out he left about 1500 there) and our house and we are running out of room again. I can't afford to foster, but many of my friends have their little indulgences so I've been making boxes for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:30:51 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ Yid, STOP thinking we think you will judge us. I once read or heard a really good answer as to why the Amish don't have TVs and such, because it would take away from the family time and conversation and reading the Holy Book. In my house there is only one TV that has cable. One TV is hooked up so they can play video games although they don't do that as much. As it is the giant rugrats have taken to watching things on their laptops. I'd take those away except they are in college and need them for work. Hubby wanted TV in bedroom, I put my foot down on that one.

Long to the Short I admire that you keep your culture, I like that you bent it so your son wouldn't be stir crazy while he was unwell.

Question if you can't even use the same mixer for dairy and meat. Does that meant you can't use the same oven?

See you are making us learn things. I love learning new things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:06:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 1:07:13 AM PST
dharts says:
Wow, I tried to explain that in the US, a jumper is a sleeveless, open necked dress you would wear with a blouse or turtleneck underneath. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/National-Cotton-Corduroy-Jumper-Chocolate/dp/B0006MA4GW/ref=sr_1_16?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1357808724&sr=1-16&keywords=jumpers+women

I don't know what I saidf before that Amazon found outside its guidelines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 12:53:42 AM PST
Tyger0902 says:
LOL. When you said Fort Bragg I was thinking we have no interstate called the 101 but California does. I didn't know there was a Fort Bragg on the west coast. Time for me to go to bed.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 11:22:54 PM PST
Lyn says:
Nope. They wear sweaters :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:22:28 PM PST
Carla says:
Leo,

Woohoo!! Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:21:45 PM PST
Carla says:
Robb,

:-)

Do people wear jumpers in the US?

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 11:19:55 PM PST
Good for you... I'm sure that you will just love it..

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 11:14:39 PM PST
Leo Little says:
I just ordered my first kindle....its a paperwhite.... definitely NOT FREE...lol
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  341
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions