Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

To Kill A mockingbird

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 95 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:11:21 AM PST
Yes. The neighbor one too, actually.

"Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad."
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Yes, the hardcovers I buy for signings, I already have them on my kindle. Thems my readin' copies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:52:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:53:05 AM PST
That book was the thing that convinced my sister to try a Kindle. She has fibro and arthritis in her hands, and she just couldn't hold that book. So I got her a K1 like the one I had (so you know how long ago that was), and we've both been Kindle readers ever since.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:49:03 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Fanny,

I suspect you learned that lesson about "shoes" at least in part from Ms. Lee. :) And frankly, I've purchased more than one e-book version of a book when I already own the physical book. The latest, in fact, was only two days ago when I purchased Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" for my wife to take on a trip next week. Prepping for seeing "Lincoln."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:38:10 AM PST
Well stated, jsh1120. I expound violently against all other authors with Harper Lee's stance, but I always defend her. It makes no sense, I know. But it is how I feel. She gave me a gift, I appreciate it, and so I am a complete hypocrite when it comes to her and her novel.

I am moving home for the first time since I bought a kindle, and I must admit that all the books except for my absolute FAVORITES (my original paperback of TKAMB among those, battered and dogeared and marked up and lent out...) and the signed and 1st editions. Those, I will never part with and I still buy paperbooks for signings if I love the author (Maggie Stiefvater, of late. She was really nice to the Beastie. She won my favor forever, even if she wasn't brilliant, which she is... oh, hi! Tangent, how are you?) But I did pack up ten (!) boxes of books to go to the great library in the sky - or to donations for libraries, really. It made me a little sad, but then I pick up my paperwhite, read a little Lish McBride, and all was right with the world.

Would I buy TKAMB on Kindle? In a New York minute! And I would pay stupid amounts of money for the privilege, will I respect her wishes, continue to read the paper version? In a California White Lighter minute. I know others don't agree, that's fine with me as well. I learned not to judge people until I've walked a mile in their shoes. I also learned to thank our neighbors for their kindnesses...

Peace!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:23:20 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
I did not realize that. Cool. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:22:10 AM PST
quilt lover says:
Twenty?! You are too hard on yourself, lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:20:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:24:08 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Fanny,

Thanks for the link. And quilt lover, I'm ashamed to say that this is one of those cases in which I didn't read the entire thread before commenting, a habit I frequently find annoying in others. Twenty lashes are too good for me. :)

As for Ms. Lee's views, I have to admit that they resonate somewhat with me. But with bookshelves all over my house and stacks of books on the floor I've long since given into electronic reading, especially when I travel. Even though I disagree somewhat with her rigid stance on this particular topic, having been a fan of her extraordinary volume since it was first published, she can say or do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:09:21 AM PST
That is why it is available in ebook through bookshare.org.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:23 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
I think that those that know what great literature is will either read To Kill a Mockingbird to there kids or give it to them to read no matter what format it is in. Those that do not probably would not read it no matter what format it is in because it is "old". Great things are shared because they are great. Now I also wish that there was a Kindle version but I'll just keep waiting. I do wonder if Ms. Lee would reconsider her opinion if she realized that some people physically cannot use paper books and would love to have an e-book for that reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:32:15 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:31:18 AM PST
I know, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:28:46 AM PST
quilt lover says:
That ought to teach you to be helpful! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:25:16 AM PST
yeah, I know. I was trying to be helpful. It was a moment of weakness. :) (I was afraid the first post I constructed would be "read" wrong and I would come off snarky - imagine that!)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:17:20 AM PST
Oh please. Big box bookstores like Borders and Barnes & Noble were responsible for killing off independent bookstores. The relatively few that are left are hanging on by their toenails. And now they in their turn whine about being endangered by online book buying.

It is unfortunate that some authors feel that the only way a book should be read is hard copy. The valuable, meaningful part of a book is the content not the physical trappings. Note that Harper Lee has no problem with audiobook editions of her book, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:02:04 AM PST
quilt lover says:
or you can find it on page 2 of this thread, A. Dietz posted it ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:56:01 AM PST
She has, actually. It's a rather lovely (even if some don't agree) letter, you can find it here:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/10/some-things-should-happen-on-soft-pages.html

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:37:23 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Sadly, independent bookstores do face major challenges. We're fortunate here in the Seattle area to have a number of survivors. Some are now selling e-books as well as physical volumes. Time will tell if they continue to survive. By the same token, however, I suspect Ms. Lee doesn't much care whether the ship has sailed or not. She is, after all, a rather independent sort.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:29:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 6:30:56 AM PST
Hasn't that ship sailed? We haven't had any independent books stores in my town for years. There are no used book stores anymore either. The only place to find used books now is at Salvation Army or Goodwill.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:26:09 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"well then take my rottweiler with you too then"

Half pound of ground chuck and mix in some ketamine.. and he would be good to go in about 20 minutes...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:26:09 AM PST
That may be true. As much as I love my Kindles, I admit that I do miss spending a couple of hours browsing book stores.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:26:03 AM PST
That one always has options.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:25:29 AM PST
Surveyah says:
"Of course you could say, "Nor could I care less about grammar."

I COULD....but then what would you have left to say? :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:24:59 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
As far as I know (and I may be wrong), Harper Lee has never commented publicly about her decision not to allow digital copies of To Kill a Mockingbird to be published. I strongly suspect, however, that it may be related to her strong commitment to the survival of independent bookstores rather than a preference for a particular format.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:20:24 AM PST
Of course you could say, "Nor could I care less about grammar."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:17:35 AM PST
Surveyah says:
"My chihuahua can take him ;)"

maybe to lunch.....as the main course...he likes mexican food anyway :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  95
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions