Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Help! The Technology of the Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 12:09:27 AM PDT
Hi I am doing an assignment on the technological of the Kindle

if you could help with any of the following information it would be greatly appreciated

1. Historical development and context of emergence
2. the groups of people who use the kindle
3. other related technological developments
4. issues related to the development and use of the kindle
5. the impact of the kindle economically, socially and legally

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 12:10:12 AM PDT
One post is probably enough. Would you like to remove the other one?

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 12:15:18 AM PDT
oops, thanks
I thought it didn't work :)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 12:55:08 AM PDT
John D. says:
I think it worked, but folks are a bit reticent to take on doing your homework. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 1:12:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 1:14:01 AM PDT
I am not asking for you to do my home work, I am doing all the research I can but I was only looking for another way that I would be able to get information from a broader perspective and some personal opinions or if you know of any particular books or websites that mightbe helpful would also be appreciated

any help given is appreciated but I am not relying upon this solely to do my assignment ;p

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 4:32:23 AM PDT
dawnsong says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 4:52:31 AM PDT
Tam B. says:
Go to the Smart Bitches Trashy books website and search kindles / e-readers. The owner (?) recently attended a conference that looked at these issues and quoted stat's from the industry people.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 5:10:28 AM PDT
You might try asking Kindle CS if a developer would be willing to grant you an interview. You might get fifteen minutes of somebody's time, and teachers LOVE primary sources.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:49:10 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Mr. Calman, if I may make a suggestion...

Why don't you start with some of your hypotheses on these topics, and then people can comment on those?

Your fifth topic could easily get a thousand pages from me, if I was answering it as is. :) If you were to take a position based on your research (for example, "The rise of the Kindle impacted local libraries negatively by reducing the donation of used books which the libraries then sold as a fund-raiser"), you'd probably get responses for and against. In the postulate I just made, for instance, people might argue that in the short term, many more books were donated by people moving away from paperbooks in their home...and in the long run, the savings of e-books benefited the libraries. I'm not saying that either position is correct, by the way, just how you might get responses. :)

I'd also look at the blogs which conduct polls (although that isn't scientific): Kindle Nation does a fairly broad one. Also, I'd check publishers.org and authorsguild.org.

Hm...I realize that this might be beyond the scope of your assignment: how long is it supposed to be?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 1:43:24 AM PDT
Its not supposed to be a huge assignment but your ideas are very helpful thankyou Bufo, I will definitely look into them further

thank you also to everybody for their responses, I will check out each of them

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 4:32:07 AM PDT
Anthony, you say that this isn't supposed to be a "huge assignment" but I don't see how you can do justice to such a broad topic, covering all five of the issues you enumerate in your original post, without it becoming a massive undertaking. At what level are you studying, high school or college, and for what sort of a course are you preparing your paper?

If you have the choice of narrowing your topic down, it will make it easier. To me, the last of your topics is the most interesting. The social, economic and legal impacts of e-publishing, in general, have turned the entire industry on its head. Amazon's role in this has been, and will continue to be, a major component of the ebook revolution but there are other key players as well.

Anyway, take a look at this "Short History of Ebooks": http://www.etudes-francaises.net/dossiers/ebookEN.pdf. It will provide some helpful info on the history of ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 4:51:56 AM PDT
If this isn't a term paper length project you probably need to trim your subject down. Any of your five sub topics is probably worth 10,000 words for a high level discussion, five times that for depth.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 5:49:16 PM PDT
I am in year 12, studying Community and Family Studies.
The 5 questions are what we have been asked to answer and eventually it will be put into a powerpoint.

I will check out that website though thankyou for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 12:39:33 AM PDT
Donna S says:
Where are you? You sound like an Aussie, but I might have that wrong. If you are, get some answers from the Australian Kindle Users Thread. The Australian 'Kindle' experience is quite different to the USA one. If you are from the USA, then ... whatever works.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 5:54:25 PM PDT
good guess :) I am an Aussie! Thanks Donna I will check that out

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 6:43:51 PM PDT
So, you want us to do your school homework assignment for you? What do we get out of it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions