Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

my kindle fire charge gets very hot , is that normal?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2011 9:16:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2011 9:20:46 PM PST
My kindle. Fire charger gets warm after being plugged for 20 minutes, and hot after 1 hour. I wonder if theres something wrong with the charger or this overtheating is perfectly normal. By the way I live outside the Usa ,in my country the AC input is 240 v. I figure this is not the problem cuz the charger supports both 110 and 240 v.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 9:39:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2011 9:40:15 PM PST
J. Spotts says:
This is perfectly normal. Amazon has made no warnings about this, nor have any customers experiencing this had problems to my knowledge. If you notice it gets excessively hot beyond warm to the touch to almost burning/scolding. I'd unplug it and walk away from the device before you send it back as defective. Otherwise the warmth to the touch is normal. If you use the device while it charges you'll noticed it can get slightly warmer. I'd just set it aside and charge it.

By the way the charger output values:
Kindle Charger
Input: 100-240V
Output: 5V = 1.8A

LG Mobile Charger
Input: 100-240V
Output: 5.1V = 0.7A

Probably has something to do with this, but I'm not an electrician.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 9:43:46 PM PST
I don't have the KF - just the KK, but I have found that there is one outlet in my apartment that gets the charger & then my Kindle really hot. A friend of mine has a Nook Color & she has an outlet that does the same thing. We never would have noticed it except that we have charged out ereaders is different places & only have problems in those area's. If you are using different places to charge & it is still getting hot, I would try another charger & see, if it still does it's the Kindle, if not...

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 9:54:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2011 9:59:16 PM PST
J. Spotts says:
I'd bet someone mixed up the wires in the outlet. We've got one in our house that did the same. We switched the connections ourselves and the issue went away. We noticed it when we plugged in one of those fragrance plug-ins you put in the outlet. I'd like to say that while this applied to a our outlet. I want to be clear: I am not suggesting that you do this to resolve your warm kindle fire. I choose not to use this plug-in for anything electronic I value. I take no responsibility for your actions should you try to modify your outlet and ruin your kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 10:58:19 AM PST
snolpd says:
I have a Kindle Fire & the plug gets so hot that it hurts my hand to unplug it. Extremely hot!!! I will try plugging it into another outlet & see if it continues to overheat. Will the Kindle charge with a cell phone charger with a micro plug? Or will that hurt the Kindle?
Your reply to snolpd's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 2:32:01 PM PST
snolpd says:
Another question. When you attach charger to Kindle....does that connection move a bit. Mine seems to move and feels loose. Is this normal also?

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:54:16 PM PDT
R. Y. Harris says:
Ever since I purchased my kindle fire, the charger has been getting really hot. I thought maybe it was just my bedroom sockets, but no, it's the other sockets around other parts of the house as well as my office @ work. Should I return it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 10:45:40 PM PDT
Pam Hilde says:
Dont know if its normal but mine is really loose also wondering when it grts older that this will become a problem....

Posted on May 30, 2012 11:25:59 PM PDT
JAN says:
Actually called Amazon Kindle service about this. They seem to think it's not really a problem. Lately I have been charging before the battery gets too low so it doesn't take so long to charge. That seems to help with the overheating.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 12:40:11 AM PDT
Drevik says:
My plug stopped charging then we took it back and they gave us a new plug. It worked fine for a couple weeks. Then, it beagn getting extremely hot. Now, it is not charging the kindle again.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 7:08:32 PM PDT
Maia says:
I have had my KF since last November and I just this notice two days ago that my charger gets extremely hot. I moved it to another outlet and it seemed fine. Today I used two different outlets and it got really hot again. Perhaps the electric output for each outlet is different.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 8:00:22 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:

Contact Kindle CS and have the charger replaced. It's a known problem with the KF combo charger/cable and it can be extremely dangerous. The fact that it has occurred far more than it should is the reason, I suspect, that the same charger was not included with the new Kindle Fire. If Amazon is amenable, you might ask for the Fast Charger recommended for the new KFHD and add a usb cable. It's a much better charging solution.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:12:04 PM PST
Sailor Man says:
I just purchased a Kindle Fire HD 8.9, I've tried both the regular charger and the rapid charger, in different outlets. The plug on the chargers gets extremely hot within 15-20 minutes. Why?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 5:32:02 PM PST
K. Ali says:
but my kindle fire gets hot when i am not charging, it gets hot when i am playing on it when i am playing apps (temple run, angry birds).please help.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 4:58:03 PM PST
noticed same issue with my kindle fire hd... changed to different outlets...the device doesn't get hot.. just the figure if man can get to the moon..why can't amazon correct this issue before selling the device.....

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 6:13:46 PM PDT
J. Minard says:
Mine got hot while watching movies and it was really hot i turned it off and put it down and it was ok but i was worried it might overheat & crack the screen. . Is it safe for your kindle?

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 5:40:49 PM PDT
L. McFall says:
My charger got so hot it went poof with a nice little smoke cloud. No damage to the Kindle Fire. The cable is fine too. We tossed the plug immediately. We have 3 other Kindle ereaders in the house and didn't want to use it with any of them. Currently using the iPhone plug with the Kindle cable.

Posted on May 11, 2013 7:18:20 PM PDT
J. Smith says:
My charger was getting really hot also. I put a small fan on the floor and have it blowing on the plug-in while charging. This keeps the charger cool and makes me feel much better. I would not leave these things unattended.

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 8:19:35 PM PDT
Aries Samoa says:
I bought three Kindle Fires (2nd Generation) a week ago and they all have their own power chargers. When they are charging, they get hot. When my children play with them, they get hot. They get scalding, hot...why??? I see no solutions here.

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 10:02:34 AM PDT
Parsley says:
My charger isn't getting hot....the KF is, within a couple of minutes after turning it on. The battery when fully charged is only lasting 15 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2013 10:32:08 AM PDT
The battery must not be any good. I use my Kindle fire constantly ans it takes a while for the battery to die. I'd call amazon cs..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2014 9:27:21 PM PDT
~emmakat8 says:
Using a phone charger won't hurt the kindle, in fact that's what I used to use until I lost that charger. The phone charger didn't over best when I used it and several different chargers I've used over heat when used so Amazon has some problems.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 1:23:35 AM PDT
Well I see I'm not the only person whose kindle fire he gets hot but the charger gets really hot to the.point of dangerous.... I love my kindle don't want it to get ruined.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 2:12:08 AM PDT
My charger gets scalding hot MOST of the time..not every time.
But I've tried different chargers & they do the same.
I've been doing like another poster suggested, when my battery gets about 1/2,
I recharge -doesn't give it as long to get hot.

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 6:59:09 AM PDT
My kindle charger plug gets hot too when in use - certainly would not feel confident about leaving it to charge overnight. Problem with re-charging early is that the battery builds a 'memory' and so it will last for less time before requiring re-charging again
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
57 4 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 5066 47 seconds ago
sharing my books with family 84 1 minute ago
Amazon Echo 7457 3 minutes ago
I Guess Amazon Sold A Bunch Of New Fires??? 7 4 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7952 10 minutes ago
Kindle Fire 3 12 minutes ago
how to delete book from cloud reader 62 12 minutes ago
November 2015 Informal Poll; What Are You Reading? 411 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions