Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

debugging: if you received the fire update automatically...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2012 8:20:05 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
1: did you have a parental controls password set previously?
2: did the system automatically set a parental controls password?

Thanks!

(I'm not an employee... just a curious forumer)

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:29:16 PM PDT
❤ Ann says:
I received the update automatically about an hour ago.

I did have a parental control password set previously, though I hadn't been using the feature (I've been leaving my wifi on). I got asked for the password first thing after the update, as it is now used for more than just wifi.

I wonder if those who are seeing a "new" password may have had one but just weren't using it?

Posted on May 3, 2012 9:18:42 PM PDT
Jo MW says:
My Fire updated automatically; I had never used the parental controls and I was not asked for a password after the update. In short, no problem.

Posted on May 3, 2012 10:03:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 10:04:05 PM PDT
Mister Juju says:
I've had Kindle Fire since Christmas 2011 and never got any kind of system update until now.
I assume I must have received an automatic update tonight, sometime between 6pm central (Houston TX) and 10pm, because Parental Controls are suddenly on & asking for a password. My Amazon sign-in pw doesn't unlock it, and there's no other pw I'd even think of trying because I've never--ever--set up any kind of parental control or security whatever on this Kindle! I didn't know an update was on the way...
I didn't know my Kindle was set to update automatically...I'd have turned auto-updates OFF if I knew how, since this is exactly the situation that occurs with auto-updating!
I've never used parental controls on Kindle Fire (I have no kids & no one touches my Kindle but me), I never had any kind of password protection/unlock password/PIN/etc set up-EVER. I've had Kindle Fire since Christmas 2011 and never got any kind of system update until now.
I assume I must have received an automatic update tonight, sometime between 6pm central (Houston TX) and 10pm, because Parental Controls are suddenly on

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 10:10:43 PM PDT
TerryB says:
1. Not that I recall. No one else in my household is remotely interested in my Fire. It's possible I tinkered; I like to tinker.

2. No, but oddly it blocked me from the Web. I had to go in and unblock it.

I suggested in another thread that maybe it's time for Amazon to do beta updates. Folks who ask for stuff like Parental Control, Collections, etc. could be the first to opt in when those enhancements are offered.

Posted on May 4, 2012 12:29:57 AM PDT
Mister Juju says:
Ok I posted from a cellphone, and cut/paste didn't work correctly in my previous post. The general idea(s) I want to get across are:
My Kindle Fire received an automatic update a few hrs ago to v6.3.1.
Immediately following the update, Kindle activated Parental Controls without my consent/input/knowledge. It appears to be locked with an unknown password.
Around 10pm Central (Houston Tx) I woke up my Kindle's screen (it was charging, turned on, wifi off, screen off). There was a "1" in the notification area; when I checked it out, it said Parental Controls are turned on, and when I tap that msg, it prompts me to enter a password to turn off Parental controls.
No, none of my known passwords will unlock this new Parental Control feature. Of course I tried my Amazon.com password first, but it didn't work. Just for kicks, I also tried 1234, & 0000, & a blank password, & a single space, & "Kindle" and "password." I just don't know what else to try :-(
No, I have never created a Parental Control password on this Kindle, or turned on any other kind of security lock or password.
No, I have never "played around" with Parental Controls--because, first of all, I don't have kids...but the real reason is that I hate the inconvenience...interruptions, typing & remembering yet another password--the extra steps are just not worth the hassle!
No, my Kindle is not "rooted" or "hacked" and I don't have any weird non-Kindle apps installed. I use whatever browser came w/the Kindle...Silk I think?
Since I didn't set the password, I don't know the password. And because I don't know the password, I can't access wifi settings, can't purchase books or apps, can't turn Parental Controls off.

:-(

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 7:35:01 AM PDT
zoe2z says:
Same thing happened to me!

Posted on May 4, 2012 7:42:02 AM PDT
My Fire updated last night. I did not have any parental controls in place. I temporarily created a password so I could see the new options, then I removed it.

As of right now, I am not having any trouble using Silk to access the web via my home wireless network. The Dolphin browser I have installed is also working with no problems.

Posted on May 5, 2012 2:33:48 PM PDT
bostonjock says:
Same thing happened to me (automatic update, parental controls set without my consent, password required and I don't know one). WTF??? Anyone have a solution, or anyone hear from Amazon about how to fix this? What a collosal annoyance.

Posted on May 5, 2012 3:42:56 PM PDT
vraela says:
Same here I can't access anything because of the parental password thing But I never set a password?

SO I have to wipe the Kindle I guess?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:50:17 PM PDT
Here's some ideas:

Try setting up a parental control password.
Go to Settings (round gear icon) > More > Parental Controls.

If that doesn't work try entering every password you may have used on the Fire - wi-fi-, Amazon account, Facebook, Netflix, etc. It seems to be using a password that it randomly selects from ones you have used in the past. If you have kids, see if they have any game apps that use passwords, too.

If all else fails you'll need to reset to Factory Defaults.
Go to Settings > More > Device > scroll all the way to the bottom > Reset to Factory Defaults.

***WARNING***
You will lose:
*Any sideloaded photos and videos and personal documents that are not archived in the Cloud
*Internet bookmarks
*Memorized wi-fi networks
-AND-
*You will have to register your device again. You will not lose any software updates.

Before resetting to Factory Defaults, you may want to read this thread for backup information.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=kindle_help_forum_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=TxGDUGKAYGZFN3

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:13:47 PM PDT
zoe2z says:
The parental password thing happened to me as well. I contacted support and Rumsey said I needed to reset to factory reset. I then received an e-mail from him saying the same thing. I waited a day to see if a better option would appear then I reset. It wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be. All of my apps and books were still there (in the cloud) and I just needed to download them again. Hopefully they fix this problem for the next update.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:28:18 PM PDT
Beth says:
I got the update automatically. I had no passwords set before that. I haven't had any issues.

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:30:34 PM PDT
flipoid says:
I got the update automatically a couple of days ago. I had never used any sort of parental controls (I'm the only one who uses my Fire; my husband has his own), and I had no issues with being blocked from anything after the update.

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:40:38 PM PDT
TuxGirl,
Re your question for debugging to see what happens if people have received it automatically (whether or not there is a prob after that, I guess? so people are letting you know either way) --

I got mine automatically yesterday. Startled me, as I had it plugged in and it was giving my computer messages about new hardware to install (which it always does with USB use of the KFire with my Windows XP and I just ignore the messages).

It installed the new v6.3.1 It didn't set up a parental control for me by default though.
All was fine.

I went into parental controls settings and poked around (and I think that poking around may sometimes cause an inadvertent password to be set up but Amazon should ask "Are you sure?" if that's the case).

At any rate I took advice from people in this forum and set one to prevent myself or anyone else from making one inadvertently. I made it 4 chars and it's the same as my 4-char password to use the KFire at all. I use a general password as the KFire is always with me outside and I have a habit of forgetting/losing things and this prevents others from using it easily.

I like that we can set what can or can't be done of the several categories in parental controls, and so far it's working well.

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:23:35 AM PDT
Cheetohman! says:
After trying dozens of passwords, my "parental control password" turned out to be the same password I use to unlock the welcome screen when the Kindle first fires up. Hope this helps someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 6:16:32 AM PDT
molly grue says:
you're a life saver! the same thing happened to me - updated to the latest version and it came with an activated parental control. i tried all my internet web passwords, none worked, until i tried your suggestion. you were right! as i have long ago disabled that security feature i hadn't thought of using it.

anyway, im seriously pissed with the fire. they still haven't come up with a collections sorter. so annoying sorting through A LOT of books. no wonder the sales have dropped. i'm just waiting for the iPad mini...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 14 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FB&C--Free Books and Chat--Thursday July 10, 2014 23 12 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9237 12 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9076 13 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6403 17 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed July 9, 2014 103 19 minutes ago
Repair address for a kindle Fire 108 20 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1032 21 minutes ago
New Kindle Coming Out? 22 23 minutes ago
Can Only Borrow 1 Book a Month 215 26 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  May 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions