Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New Kindle Fire update has bricked our Fires - shows amazon's noobness to the tablet market.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 148 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2012 11:08:14 AM PDT
KindlePad says:
So my wife and i woke to a rude surprise, our Fires had been updated without any warning and suddenly parental controls were enabled, restricting access to many features such as the web browser. Our unlock codes and account logins didn't work. We called Amazon who said "oops I guess you need to do a factory reset..."

This is very frustrating, we have a busy weekend planned and no time to spend hours each reloading content and apps.... our Fires are not unlocked, hacked, etc.. they are just regular unmodified kindle fires.

Amazon...what were you thinking? Not much apparently. I have been a Kindle owner since the K1 but this just shows Amazon doesn't have a good handle on their software releases or how to manage a tablet device with a large customer base.

Upgrades should "never" be automatic as there is always a chance of something locking up the device. The customers needs to be the one to click that button when they have time to deal with possible bad side effects.

Posted on May 5, 2012 11:12:12 AM PDT
TerryB says:
+1

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:14:06 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How were they bricked?? Do you even know what that term means?

Posted on May 5, 2012 11:14:46 AM PDT
That is not "bricking" "bricking" is unrecoverable. If you can recover the machine, it is not 'Bricked'

Amazon may have been ill advised by enabling Parental controls by default, probably was. But there is no need to exaggerate.

Posted on May 5, 2012 11:15:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 5, 2012 11:15:19 AM PDT]

Posted on May 5, 2012 11:17:11 AM PDT
flipoid says:
The Fire was not "bricked." And why must you reload everything all at once? Just reload books, apps, etc. from the cloud as you want to use them.

It would be worth sending a suggestion to Amazon (I think it's kindle-feedback@amazon.com) to be able to set Kindles to NOT get automatic updates. I know you can do that for the Kindle for PC app.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:18:25 AM PDT
flipoid says:
Roy, they did not enable Parental Controls by default. It's seems to be a program bug that only affected *some* Kindle Fire users.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:24:58 AM PDT
seedlady says:
boy oh boy, i wish my magic button worked, and it could affect only those who have been screaming "my fire NEEDS controls or my dear darling will buy thousands of dollars worth of apps!!!!!!!!1!!111!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:33:21 AM PDT
You can try manually uploading the update to the kindle update file on your fire.

Or, you can backup the files and info on the device prior to resetting it to factory default.

Or you can reset to factory default (or degister/reregister) it and complain about each step of the way.

Which seems like a most productive use of your time?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:50:12 AM PDT
Your post is very confusing. "Bricked" means dead, zip, nada, nothing, as in recycle for parts, which I am sure is not the case.

My Fire did the update in about a nano second and is still fine.

Before you get your knickers in a wad, have you tried a hard reset on the devices, ie: hold the power button for at least 30 seconds (without tapping on shut down), waiting a full minute before you re-start the Fire and waiting for a minimum of one minute to allow it to index?

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:19:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 12:24:01 PM PDT
KindlePad says:
I used the term "bricked" to mean unusable, which it was. Pardon my grammar faux pas - but get over it. This was was amateurish and reckless of amazon to not test this update properly. It is careless of the amazon to make us unwitting beta testers.

Look at it from this pov - given amazon's auto update policy coupled with the fact that this update has rendered many user's Fire's inoperable - that means at any time in the future - any of you guys could wake to a inoperable kindle fire from a future update. Not a happy thought, is it?

I know I know... first world problems.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 12:22:49 PM PDT
Since we talking about less than 5% of Fires (and probably much much less) having some sort of problem, your comment that it was "amateurish and reckless" seems a tad over the top.

Have you tried the Facebook password yet?

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:26:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 12:29:19 PM PDT
KindlePad says:
I don't have facebook enabled on my Fire. And 5% is a huge number of affected users, assuming Amazon has sold 1+ million fires. That's 50,000 people or more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 12:29:47 PM PDT
Logician says:
- Since we talking about less than 5% of Fires (and probably much much less) having some sort of problem

Source?

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:59:01 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Try your wi-fi password. If that does not work, try your Amazon account password. That has worked for a lot of people.

Posted on May 5, 2012 2:44:54 PM PDT
KindlePad says:
I tried literally every password I think including wifi, device lock, account, facebook, gmail, etc.. no luck on mine or my wife's. Amazon just sent me an email saying they were still researching and would call me tomorrow. Not really holding my breath for a timely fix.

Posted on May 5, 2012 2:52:36 PM PDT
Do you know how many long time community members, until KindlePad - who bashes the Fire at every opportunity, reported having the password bug following the update?

Zero - to the best of my knowledge.

Currently, fewer than 100 people have reported the "bug" here. I'm not saying that its not an issue, but its certainly not widespread. There's also some reason to believe that some of the reports are just trolls and sockpuppets chiming in.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:02:41 PM PDT
Old Rocker - I love you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:06:45 PM PDT
Artist says:
For someone who claims to have a weekend too busy to redownload things to your fire, you sure seem to be spending a lot of time posting. I could have redownloaded lots of content in the time it took just to read this thread -- imagine what you could have accomplished had it been more important for you to use your Fire than whine about it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:08:56 PM PDT
+1,000,000,000!!!1!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:11:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 3:22:10 PM PDT
This was was amateurish and reckless of amazon to not test this update properly. It is careless of the amazon to make us unwitting beta testers.
How else were they supposed to shut the whiners & complainers up, that their dear little one(s) had to have Parental Controls, right now?

Besides, it serves the whiners right. Sorry that others were affected, but you're a whiner, so I am glad that yours was affected.

Edited for some major typos.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:13:59 PM PDT
Russ says:
If you choose to blame anyone, blame the parents that gave their sweet little kids a Kindle Fire but now don't want their innocent children purchasing thousands of dollars worth of apps because they are too lazy to monitor their kids activity.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:14:40 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
But it is usable. You just don't want to bother with it and would rather cry like a spoiled brat.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:20:24 PM PDT
+1,000!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:34:46 PM PDT
TerryB says:
It's not 5%, more like 41%.
Anyone can make up stats. Actually I could justify mine if inclined, but I'm not. The usual trolls will continue to pile on and insist that anyone who was locked out did something b-a-d to deserve it.
I adamantly protested any implementation of parental controls but evidently sinned in some other way so brought down ammy's wrath on my Fire, shame on me for that and further shame on me for complaining about it. mea culpa, I've always been a bad girl.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  May 5, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions