Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire: WMA format audiobooks from library

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2012 6:03:40 AM PDT
HI all,
I have read the posts and still am not sure how to do this or if I can. I can get free books from the library in WMA format, but when I install Overdrive on the Fire it says it doesn't support WMA books.
Is there a way to listen to these books on my Fire?
Thank you,
Dawn
Your reply to Dawn M. Jenkins's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 6:07:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 6:08:37 AM PDT
Jodi1360 says:
I would like to know as well, how to listen to wma audio book from overdrive as well if it can be done.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 6:19:09 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Dawn, WMA files are Windows Media Audio, so not surprisingly, created by Microsoft.

The Fire doesn't play those the way you get the device. It does, however, play MP3 files...when my library has an audiobook, it's available in that format as well...and the Fire plays those without an issue.

You could get an app that plays WMAs, I presume, and put that on your Fire...but I'd check to see if the audiobook you want is available as an MP3. That would be simplest.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 6:30:19 AM PDT
Thanks...it isn't available in MP3, most of the books from my library are in WMA format. And I hate to have to buy a book when I can borrow it for free.
Dawn

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 6:37:46 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
You might want to talk to your library about getting MP3 format books as well. When people listened on MP3 players, most of which could also play WMA, it wasn't much of a problem. But newer devices often won't play WMA.

It's a power hungry format, which is part of the reason, I suppose. MP3 players typically get about 25% less battery life when playing WMA files. Another part of the reason is probably that most people hardly ever used it.

There might be some player app you can install that plays WMA files but I doubt if they'll play the library's DRM so my guess is it just won't work. But it's worth looking. There might be such an app. I don't actually know.

Barry

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:50:39 AM PDT
Jodi1360 says:
Thanks Bufo Calvin, and Barryem for information, And Thanks Dawn for asking the question, I was going to asked the same question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:02:36 PM PDT
c wms says:
Thanks Dawn for asking the question and Bufo for clearing up the WMA confusion. But I am having trouble downloading Overdrive to my Fire. Do I need it? How do I get it?
Thanks!

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 10:43:43 AM PDT
N.C. says:
Does anyone know of an App that can be put on kindle fire that will play wma books?

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 10:59:46 AM PDT
is there any other generic type music player app you could install...I say because iphones/itouch's don't inherantly recognize WMA via the overdrive app - however, I can install the app on my home computer and transfer WMA to it, via one of the other music listening apps...(does that make sense)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2014 11:29:25 AM PDT
T. Cannon says:
I did a search for WMA in the App store and came up with this app:
GoodPlayer for Android I know nothing about the player except what I read briefly when it came up on the search but it appears to claim to play WMA files.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2014 4:14:53 PM PDT
can't hurt to try right?

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 5:18:23 PM PDT
Rose P in PV says:
I have 2 different mp3 players (old Zen nano plus and Sandisk Clip+). They will take mp3 format or WMA. I actually prefer Wma format because the files are smaller and take up less space on my players. Our library offers audiobooks in both formats, but Wma seems to be offered more. Mp3 players like Sandisk can be cheap ($36 dollars for 4 GB) from Amazon. I've had my Zen nano since 2007 and my Sandisk for 3 years. The Sandisk clip+ also works in my Ford fusion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions