Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can you transfer iBooks to Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 154 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2010 10:44:02 PM PST
Rundhc says:
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer Apple iBooks to the Kindle. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 10:56:24 PM PST
Marco S. says:
I don't think you can unless you break the DRM on the iBooks. I don't have any iBooks though so i'm just guessing.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 6:33:20 AM PST
saraf says:
Even if the iBooks weren't DRM protected, which they are, they're in ePub format. Kindle doesn't do ePub, so even if you got them onto the Kindle you couldn't read them on it.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 6:40:41 AM PST
You can change non-DRM epub to kindle compatible stuff, but no way are iBooks withouth DRM

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 6:56:49 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You could but not legally. As stated by others you would have to crack the DRM. If you have some that are not DRM protected you could use a program called Calibre to convert them to mobi format for Kindle.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 10:56:27 AM PST
Saunders says:
omg they make everything such a pain to use.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 11:00:58 AM PST
C. S. Jones says:
Apple doesn't even allow the iBooks to be read on a Mac (IOS devices only).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 11:42:45 PM PST
T. Perry says:
I just sent this to them as a response to the fact that I can't read my OWN bought and paid for books on my OWN Mac computer:

"Until you make an iBooks app available for macbooks, macbook pros, and iMacs, I will not be downloading a single new book from your iBooks app. The thought that I can download a book, paying full retail (for ebook), and only be able to access it via my own personal iPhone is incomprehensible. I will download EVERY book I have a desire to read through Kindle's app until you stop the incredible idiocy that you are currently engaged in. You want to compete with Kindle? COMPETE WITH KINDLE. What you have available now is simply a cheap side show. I'm embarrassed that I allowed you to trick me into downloading any paid books. Get with it or get out of the E-Read game you money grubbers. I will actively advocate against your product until you have made it available on a cross-platform basis. Your company is beyond ridiculous." (I come off as a semi-retarded, spurned lover. It's what I feel like, after paying for three separate books within this app. This is insane. If I wanted to read things on a 3.5 inch screen I'd have my sister hold up books outside the mail slot and turn the pages on command. Use KINDLE. It supports access across ALL platforms, and actually provides a very slightly improved reading experience over iPhone.)

The amount of arrogance they conduct themselves with absolutely blows my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 12:45:31 AM PST
"omg they make everything such a pain to use. "

I always compare the eBook market today with the VCR market of the late 1970s to mid 1980s. Multiple, mutually incompatible, content formats (with even compatibility issues between manufacturers who on paper support the same format).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 12:47:20 AM PST
brave move, TP, but I'm afraid it's futile. Not only couldn't Apple care less about losing you as a customer (a million more where you came from, etc.) but noone will even read your message.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 2:42:44 AM PST
mousi says:
Yep, just did it. I changed the extension from ibooks to epub and then used calibre for the conversion. My book "was not DRM protected" ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 3:27:07 AM PST
saraf says:
Maybe yours wasn't but many of them are.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 8:46:28 PM PDT
E. Dostie says:
storing ebooks after you've read them - what are you spost to do - put it on a disc?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 12:04:34 PM PDT
SusanC says:
Thank you for discussing this - I love my Apple products but their "planned obsolescence" (sp?)and now this iBook/Kindle thing is the icing - really makes them look greedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 6:58:22 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Not sure what you mean about planned obsolescence in Apple products. I have a load of iPods going way back, and all of them still work, also a 6 year old iMac still going strong. Have given older Mac laptops and a gen. 1 iPad to relatives because I wanted a new one, not because they stopped working. So explain what you mean about planned obsolescence when everything still works. I don't get it.

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:43:21 PM PDT
daniel says:
Yeah I bought exactly one iBook. Never again. It's hard to believe how bad they are digital books.

On a related topic, we just got Kindles -- actual plain old Kindles with non-light-emitting screens. I have every other device imaginable (my work sadly requires it), including a Kindle Fire (POS iPad wannabe). I gotta tell you, the simple Kindle (Touch, actually) is VASTLY superior to all other devices for long reads. I like real books, and I've always thought that they're still the best technology for their pure purpose. But this is actually actually changing my mind. I mean, I wouldn't be caught dead doing a thousand-page read on an iPad. I spend my life getting my soul sucked out by lit screens. Last thing I need is more of that. But on this plain old Kindle, no problemo.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:00:19 AM PDT
http://techsupport.foreverwarm.com/how-to-read-epub-books-on-your-kindle

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:31:33 AM PDT
chelsea says:
is there anyway i can read the books i bought on my kindle to my ipad if i can how would i do that

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 10:38:46 AM PDT
You go to the Appstore on your iPad, and download the free Amazon Kindle app, and register it to your Amazon account

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 10:23:40 AM PDT
Mitzi Jo says:
Hi I have an iPad2 and just downloaded the iBook for my hubby and bought two books. I decided to now buy him a kindle from Amazon for our Anniversary so he has his own tablet. I downloaded and registered kindle on my iPad. His gift arrives in 10 days. Can I somehow transfer the books onto the kindle since I bought them from the App Store?

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 10:30:21 AM PDT
saraf says:
If they are iBooks (which is what I assume you mean), then no. iBooks are not compatible with a Kindle or Kindle apps. iBooks aren't compatible with anything but the iBook app on an iPad, iPod, or iPhone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 10:41:58 AM PDT
Mitzi Jo says:
Thanks so much

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 1:52:00 PM PDT
K. Summers says:
My IPod is 5 years old. I cannot download many of the Apps that are on my IPhone4S because there is not an update for the IPod system. It still works to play music but as time goes on it will be less and less useful because Apple has not provided an update for the IPod. That's planned obsolescence. Eventually I will have to purchase a new IPod if I want it to be compatible with my IPhone or Mac. I usually let my granddaughter play a few games on the IPod but when we tried to download a new version of one of them I was told that it was only supported by the new operating system which is not available for my old IPod.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:35:39 PM PDT
Ben Wexlar says:
Yes. Download the Kindle app on the iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:50:36 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
In other words, your iPod is exactly as useful as it was when you bought it, and still does everything it did then. You're just mad because you think you're somehow entitled to having your devices update themselves year after year to have newer and better functionality they were never designed for.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  154
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2010
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions